Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Motolite or El Guapo

2K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  Rollin'in'Zona 
#1 ·
I have been riding a KHS Am1000 for the last year which I have really enjoyed. At the time I would have loved to have bought a Motolite but didn't have the money. Now I do and was just about to purchase a green motolite 2007 when the owner showed me a picture of the el guapo. Now I can't decide what to get. Have not riden the el gaupo as it does not arrive until July. I ride xc and would like to do a bit more downhilling with small drops in the future. The KHS does not like climbing at is a tad heavy and the high bb makes it a little uncomfortable on slow tech stuff. I am going to put the same build as I have on my KHS which is dtswiss 240s front and rear. dt swiss ex5.1d rims, xt crank,rear and front,saint breaks,thompson seatpost,truvativ team stem, werewolf 2.2 inch tread, maz am3(will uprade to the am1sl when i have a bit more cash). The EL Gaupo reviews I have read don't seem to be that great. Any views would be appreciated. The problem is I will have to make my mind up without riding the el guapo.

#27 ·
demo_slug said:
i'm going with both. :) I'm decomissioning my sumo. hang it on the wall.

So I'm going to use the 2 bikes just like I did for last year, I was splitting time between my SUMO and my ML. the ML gets used for long rides, hill climbs, new trails and group rides with fast people. my saftey blanket.

I usualy get my SUMO out once a week. me and my buds all bring out the huck bikes and go for a super fun ride. or if I know I'm going to black diamond trail. or I'm riding with guys that I know are slower then me :) or riding alone.

the SuMo is my favorite bike.
Cool... Thanks Demo for the info;) ... still trying to fight upgraditis:madman: ... Good luck on your EG:thumbsup:

#28 ·
demo_slug said:
i'm going with both. :) I'm decomissioning my sumo. hang it on the wall.

So I'm going to use the 2 bikes just like I did for last year, I was splitting time between my SUMO and my ML. the ML gets used for long rides, hill climbs, new trails and group rides with fast people. my saftey blanket.

I usualy get my SUMO out once a week. me and my buds all bring out the huck bikes and go for a super fun ride. or if I know I'm going to black diamond trail. or I'm riding with guys that I know are slower then me :) or riding alone.

the SuMo is my favorite bike.
Good Gawd.... SuMo is too good to be put on a wall !~! If you do, it better be in the Lounge Room with spotlights on it with a whole lotta love. SuMo would be the ultimate trail bike for me..... our tails do not have black diamonds in them but there are plenty of rocks and ruts...

#30 ·
Its done. the motolite has been ordered. If i lived near a good trails park I would have bought the guap, but all my rider is through coffee plantations and jungle. Most of the guys I read with a fast 4 inch bikes appart from my best mate who rides a kona stinky. He is maga fit but is starte to complain of his kona weight issues. thanks for all the help again.

#33 ·
dareverend said:
Its done. the motolite has been ordered. If i lived near a good trails park I would have bought the guap, but all my rider is through coffee plantations and jungle. Most of the guys I read with a fast 4 inch bikes appart from my best mate who rides a kona stinky. He is maga fit but is starte to complain of his kona weight issues. thanks for all the help again.
Congratulations !~!

#35 ·
you won't be sorry with the motolite. Great story-

I used to have a grave diease called switchabikitis. I almost died, serious. Every time I saw a new shiny bike I would have to try it. I'm the annoying little jerk that rides EVERY FS bike in the LBS just to get a feel for what I like. I am not kidding you when I tell you that I probably bought, rode, and resold 10 frames within a 16 month period. Enter stage Right, the Motolite. I had come off of a 4-bar KHS thinking that was a fantastic bike and got the fortunate chance to try Bikerbob's moto while on a trip. In one exclamating "holy s**t" gasp, my switchabikitis was cured.

I honestly cannot think of a frame out there that is as versatile, reliable, and effective than the motolite. Trust me, I have tried many...

#36 ·
coming from a 38 lb *do everything* bike

I pondered the same decision for months.

As I understand, the El Guapo frame is only about 1.5 lbs heavier than the full alu. Motolite. Is this correct? If so, an EG could be built up to damn close to Motolite weight with more gravity friendly geometry. The real weight savings will be in the TIRES! With 2.4" single wall tires on the same rims, my SuMo drops well over 2.5 lbs of rotational weight from the 2.5 DH tires!

So with this in mind, my plan is to have two wheelsets for the EG - an AM set for every day and a lighter XC set for those "Crested Butte" type rides. I figure that with the light set the EG may be only 2-3 lbs heavier than Motolight???

Everything is contextual, however! Coming from a 38 lb 7x7 SuMo (40+ lbs not long ago) as my one and only bike - the bike I take on 20+ mile rides and pedal up everything even in Crested Butte (I knows I aint none too smart) - a 32 lb El Guapo seems like an xc race rig! Going the other way though, from 26 lb race rocket to 32lbs...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.