the original big ring

Motolite chainline help please . . .

Just got back from my first ride on my new Motolite - can't say enough about this bike aftter just one ride! If you're a Motolite owner, I won't say more - you know what I'm talking about!

Anyway . . . . I'm running Shimano XT crankset, Hollowtech II with integrated exo. BB. While on my ride this morning I was dropping the chain from middle to granny (chunking, grinding spins) while in the 4th, 5th and 6th rear cogs while climbing technical sections. I knew it wasn't the limits on my front derailleur - I even double checked them on the trail - I took the time and set them up properly. So is it chainline? The symptoms weren't happening while in middle and largest/second largest cog, nor did it happen while in granny and any cog in the rear.

The chainline seemed a little off in the above mentioned gear combination. So, how many spacers do you need between the bb shell and bb? Presently there is one. On the Park site it shows one 2.5 mm spacer (on drive side) for a 73mm shell and two spacers on a 68mm shell. How big is the Motolite's shell? For the life of me I couldn't find it.

Or could there be another problem that I am completely overlooking?

Thanks for you help.
    Cheers,
    Barley

the original big ring
    I'm a dumba$$ . . . no sooner than I posted this, it occured to me to just flip the bike over and measure the shell . . . .dumb, dumb, dumb.
    So, it's a 73 mm shell, which means one spacer. So why is my chain dropping? Everything is new. Can I still adjust the chainline? Could the problem be in the cassette? Can't get my head around this.
    Cheers.

mtbr member

Are you runnibg a SRAM front der???

double post

mtbr member

Are you running a SRAM front der???

If you are they dont work very well on the ML. I have Race Face cranks and I have no spacers on the drive side even though it says to run one and I have no front shifting problems at all.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

T'is true... maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    If you are they dont work very well on the ML. I have Race Face cranks and I have no spacers on the drive side even though it says to run one and I have no front shifting problems at all.
    I'm running a X-Gen FD and I do drop the chain from middle to granny more often than I'd like. There is nothing particularly different about the sram cage other than it is narrower than Shimano's. What is different I believe is the spring. The SRAM almost seems to shift too fast... it seems to throw the chain rather than push it.

I don't know.... it works... most of the time... it's just a FD. Maybe I should change it??

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

the original big ring

What now?

Quote Originally Posted by craigstr

Nope, running an XT.

Any other solutions? Should I try another spacer or will that cause problems with the cranks?

Gravity Tester
    XT, LX and even XTR, have known and admited issued with middle chainrings. Shimano has been shipping out replacements rings - typically LX though - regardless of the component level. There's a few threads regarding this in the "Everything Drivetrain" forum. I swapped some RaceFace rings onto new XT arms just a few days ago. I went with the XT arms to relieve the constant creak I had with the RF Deus. My hybrid ShimanoFace crankset has been both quiet, and well shifting - so far.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Barley
    Just got back from my first ride on my new Motolite - can't say enough about this bike aftter just one ride! If you're a Motolite owner, I won't say more - you know what I'm talking about!

Anyway . . . . I'm running Shimano XT crankset, Hollowtech II with integrated exo. BB. While on my ride this morning I was dropping the chain from middle to granny (chunking, grinding spins) while in the 4th, 5th and 6th rear cogs while climbing technical sections. I knew it wasn't the limits on my front derailleur - I even double checked them on the trail - I took the time and set them up properly. So is it chainline? The symptoms weren't happening while in middle and largest/second largest cog, nor did it happen while in granny and any cog in the rear.

The chainline seemed a little off in the above mentioned gear combination. So, how many spacers do you need between the bb shell and bb? Presently there is one. On the Park site it shows one 2.5 mm spacer (on drive side) for a 73mm shell and two spacers on a 68mm shell. How big is the Motolite's shell? For the life of me I couldn't find it.

Or could there be another problem that I am completely overlooking?

Thanks for you help.
    Cheers,
    Barley
    Hey Barley, Many chainlines are 47.5mm-50mm from the middle ring to the center of the bb. Give ole Titus a call and ask them then measure. If your set up is correct then it's adjustment. If you check out the directions on the front der. not that you haven't already but the instructions give excellent tweaking advice. Good luck!
    When your girlfriends Mother french kisses you hello....Now that's friendly!

MC MasterShake
    Check your spindle length. I was having all sorts of problems with my chainline. My problem was the chain was too close to the tire so it would rub in full granny. I also had a heck of a time getting my front der. set right. I tried spacers and that didn't help at all. I e-mailed Titus and they told me I should be running a 73x118. I was running a 73x115. I swapped the BB out 2 days ago and the drivetrain rides perfect now .

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

External bb chainline

For the optimal EXTERNAL bearing crank chainline on the Titus Moto-lite you need to put one 1.5mm spacer on the drive side and one 1mm spacer on the non-drive side, according to Matt of Titus (asked him this question one year ago) - this will take up the required 2.5mm that is required for this crank design.
    These are non-standard spacers, Shimano sells them.
    I just followed the Raceface instructions of one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side(for the 73mm Moto-lite bb shell width) and have had NO shifting problems whatsoever.
    Shimano and Raceface provide 2.5mm spacers as this makes it possible to fit the cranks on just about any bike made with a reasonable chainline, whether 68mm or 73mm bb shell.
    Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

the original big ring

New ring worked

I took the advice from some of the folks on a thread in the "Everything Drivetrain" form and put on a different middle ring - it worked! No popping, skipping or grinding. That tells me it is the Shimano middle chainring. Chainline, front derailleur limits, rear derailleur, and bb are all good and adjusted perfectly.
    I'm going to try the shimano middle ring one more time - just in case it was just a new drive train breaking in or something - before I send it back for warranty via where I bought the bike. I'm a bit skeptical it'll work any better, but I'd like to give it a try for sake of arguement.
    Cheers.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Bumping up an old thread. I just put together a new Moto-Lite with a Race Face crank. With one 2.5mm spacer on the drive side and no spacer on the non-drive side my shifting is fine, but the driveline seems a little off. In the middle ring and largest cog in the rear it seems to be a little too far out and the chain binds a little on the middle ring. Like I said, shifting seems to be fine, and it shifted better than I expected on it's maiden voyage.

I'm thinking of moving the 2.5mm spacer from the drive side to the non-drive side. Has anyone done this? I don't run a big ring so I'm not concerned about the big-ring driveline at all.

Thanks in advance. Nice active forum!!!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Did some further searching and found some posts on this. Seems moving the 2.5mm spacer to the non-drive side is the ticket. Should I even bother trying to find the 1.5mm and 1.0mm spacers to achieve the "Ultimate" chainline?