justbrowsing

Motolite build kit

Hi
    I am trying to purchase a mountain bike for my son. It's his birthday soon and I'd like to surprise him. Unfortunately I don't know much about mountain bikes and I've been having some problems getting answers to some of my questions. Maybe some of you guys can help me.
    My son likes the Motolite bike. I see there is a 2007 Motolite Complete. I also see that the Titus web site lists different build kits such as All Mountain Kit I, All Mountain Kit II, Ultimate Kit III, etc...
    I emailed someone at Competitive Cycle and they told me that they were unable to change the build kit on the Motolite Complete but they didn't say why. Does anyone here know why?
    Do I have to buy the frame separately and then buy the individual components to have the Motolite Complete with the All Mountain II build Kit? Or is there another company that will sell the bike with the different kits? I don't understand why Titusti.com lists the different bikes and the different build kits, but no one seems to sell the bike with the build kit that I want. I also emailed someone at Bikerbobs.com but I got such a runaround there I don't even want to get into it. He wouldn't even tell me how much the bike was. He said to go to a local bike shop and then to email him again.
    Anyhow, can anyone tell me if I can buy a 2007 Motolite Complete with the All Mountain KIt II components and where I can buy it?
    Thanks for listening.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I recommend you contact Chad @ Red Barn or talk directly to Bob @ Bikerbob.com

The complete is sold "as is", but some dealers are flexible and will allow you to swap some things... the kits are made to buy with the framesets as the Motolite 2 (with carbon seatstays (rear end)) So it would be completely up to the dealer if they will credit you the complete's build kit for an "All Mountain 2" kit... it might be asking a bit too much, I think... the complete's kit is decent and can be great with a couple part swaps (not the whole kit)
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-16-2007 at 03:52 AM.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    BTW, welcome to mtbr, justbrowsing!

mtbr member
    Just as Crisillo said, the Motolite Complete comes with only one component configuration and (officially) isn't sold as a frame only to which you can add your choice of build kits. I hope in the future, Titus will recongnize that there are still some of us who want to buy/build an all-aluminum bike.
    I was able to buy the all aluminum frame only from Bobs-bicycles.com (not to be confused with Biker Bob) in Boise, Idaho and then I purchased a build kit of my own design from Competitive Cyclist. Bike turned out great and I couldn't be happier with it. Good luck, CK

Bike to the Bone...
    Hi, welcome to mtbr.

Usually, high end bikes are sold frame only. That means that you buy the frame and build it with whatever you want.

But some companies offer sometimes 'build kits', which are options that would make a complete bike. This is the All mountain 1, All mountain 2, etc..

But sometimes they sell it as a complete bike, which offer a very good price for a complete bike, like the Motolite Complete. I don't think you will be able to change the components on this, because usually they sell it as a package.

justbrowsing
    Thanks for the welcome and thanks for all the responses. I didn't realize buying a mountain bike would be so complicated. There's a lot to know and so many bikes to choose from.
    I'm glad I found this site and all of you very knowledgeable people.
    Thanks again!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I bought the basic moto-lite complete from bikerbob.com and did only one substitution and that was an Sram X-9 rear der instead of the X-7 which comes with the package.

The "complete" bike does come as a complete package to the dealers and it is up to them if they want to change out a part and then sell the stock part to someone else.

If you are not sure what you want for your son, I recomend the complete which is a great basic package and then he can upgrade and change out whatever components depending on his weight and riding style.

The changes that I considered were better wheels and a Fox 32 Talus RLC fork. After riding the bike I think the Fox 32 talus R fork is just fine but some nicer wheels would be good.
    Chet

"Its All Good"
    Welcome justbrowsing... Odd to hear that you got the run around from Bob. Call him up on the blower.. Great to deal with. As is Chad from Redbarn Cycles, and also Larry from Mountain High Cycles... All awesome...

I would go with the complete build as Chet mentions. For a high end bike, it is an awesome deal. In a year, your son can upgrade bits n bobs etc, but still have a demon frame...

Best of luck..
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by justbrowsing
    Thanks for the welcome and thanks for all the responses. I didn't realize buying a mountain bike would be so complicated. There's a lot to know and so many bikes to choose from.
    I'm glad I found this site and all of you very knowledgeable people.
    Thanks again!!
    Agreed with Whafe... look around if someone can swap parts for you.

But maybe you'll like to give your son the ML complete as is and then he can swap parts later on to his like.

Welcome!!
    Check my Site

mtbr member

complete

I bought a ML complete(no changes besides smaller rear tire) this season and it is truly an awesome bike as is. Especially if your somewhat new to the sport. If you are then your going to end up really puttiing this bike thru alot of abuse. Of which this bike can totally handle it. I ve got 40-60 hrs of trail riding here in Santa Fe ,NM. already in the past two months. After a year or so or as parts break or wear out, they can be upgraded. Welcome and I hope your son enjoys his new ML.
    "Sometimes you just gotta say "I'm an irresponsible person, and I put skiing powder before my friends, family, and job.""

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Buying online or locally

Dear Justbrowsing,

I'm sorry you weren't satified with our several emails. Even though you never put your name on any messages, I responded promptly. I get dozens of requests every month, but the ones who just ask for a price to shop against other dealers are my least favorite. I like to know more about the customer and their needs and experience.
    Obviously it would be best if everyone had a friendly, helpful local Titus shop to work with, but many don't.
    You're in suburban Phoenix, so that isn't an issue. I don't think it's my job to underbid your local shop. Unless they can't help you,or try to push you towards another brand, they have the best chance for proper fit and assembly.

Here's what you first asked and my response:

Hi

I'd like to check the price of a 2007 Titus Moto Lite Complete.
    How much is shipping to Gilbert, Arizona 85296?

Thank you.

Do you know which size you need? Have you had a chance to try one
    > locally?
    I usually end up changing a few parts here and there to suit the
    rider.
    You
    don't have to go with the exact build kit that comes with it. Or
    if
    you
    don't need some of the parts, I can leave them out.
    I try to be competitive in pricing. Is there a budget you are
    working
    with?
    >Bob

Here's your email after i gave you a quote:

Hi again
    >> > Apparently the bike is pretty much the same price everywhere. I've
    >> > checked
    >> > locally as well as at some of the online shops and there isn't much of
    >> > a
    >> > difference. I thought maybe there would be a little bit of bargaining
    >> > room
    >> > in the All Mountain Package but there is still not enough of a
    >> > difference
    >> > in price to get excited about. Unless you consider $10 exciting.
    >> > Anyway, I thank you much for taking the time to respond to my emails.
    >> > You
    >> > have a good reputation and I will definitely consider you when I make
    >> > my
    >> > final decision.
    >> > Thanks!!

I'm sure you won't appreciate this post, but I thought you misprepresented my response to you.
    Bob

justbrowsing
    Well I'll tell ya what Bob, or whatever your name is, you're a creep and you shouldn't be in the business of selling bikes. I asked simple questions and you gave vague useless answers. I'm sure you won't appreciate this post but I'm afraid you didn't post all of our private emails. Why don't you tell everyone here about the runaround you gave me Bob? Why don't you tell everyone how you can't answer a simple question? Maybe it's time to hang up the pedals and think about retirement old fella? Just trying to help.
    Good luck in Sun City.

justbrowsing
    > Hi again
    > Thanks for pointing out the advantage of buying the bike locally. I plan
    > on making a decision this weekend and I would like it if you would let me
    > know exactly how much you will charge me for the Titus Motolite I with the
    > All Mountain II Kit.
    > You said, "close to $3,000" but exactly how much is it?
    > I'm curious about something else and I wonder if you wouldn't mind
    > explaining it to me. How come the Motolite I with the All Mountain II Kit
    > is about $3,000, and the Motolite II with the All Mountain II Kit is
    > $3,960 when the price difference in the frames is only $300? Is there
    > another difference in the 2 bikes?
    > Thank you again for your time!
    >
    >
    > ---- Bikerbob wrote:
    >> It's always good to get it locally if you like the shop. I would pay a
    >> bit
    >> more for the service and convenience.
    >> The All Mountain II lists for $3960 with the ML2 frame (carbon rear), so
    >> under $3000 is a pretty good discount even with the all aluminum frame.
    >> I'm not sure what kind of prices you've been getting and with which
    >> component upgrades.

I happen to have an extra copper Motolite 1 and a modified AM II kit with
    XT drivetrain. That's why I can sell it for a bit less.
    But I don't want to be pitted against the local dealer, or step on their
    toes by undercutting their prices.
    There's nothing a bike shop dislikes more than hearing that the customer can
    get it cheaper online or on ebay, [SIZE="5"][SIZE="7"]so maybe you can keep our discussions
    private[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE].
    If you don't come to terms with them, give me a shout.
    Bob

Veni Vidi Vici
    I have carefully read your exchanges of messages, but all I can read is BikerBob trying to help you out to bring down your cost, and he was being carefull not to step on the toes of any local dealer in your area... please do not ask him to retire, he has been very helpful

> Hi again
    > Thanks for pointing out the advantage of buying the bike locally. I plan
    > on making a decision this weekend and I would like it if you would let me
    > know exactly how much you will charge me for the Titus Motolite I with the
    > All Mountain II Kit.
    > You said, "close to $3,000" but exactly how much is it?
    > I'm curious about something else and I wonder if you wouldn't mind
    > explaining it to me. How come the Motolite I with the All Mountain II Kit
    > is about $3,000, and the Motolite II with the All Mountain II Kit is
    > $3,960 when the price difference in the frames is only $300? Is there
    > another difference in the 2 bikes?
    > Thank you again for your time!
    >
    >
    > ---- Bikerbob wrote:
    >> It's always good to get it locally if you like the shop. I would pay a
    >> bit
    >> more for the service and convenience.
    >> The All Mountain II lists for $3960 with the ML2 frame (carbon rear), so
    >> under $3000 is a pretty good discount even with the all aluminum frame.
    >> I'm not sure what kind of prices you've been getting and with which
    >> component upgrades.

I happen to have an extra copper Motolite 1 and a modified AM II kit with
    XT drivetrain. That's why I can sell it for a bit less.
    But I don't want to be pitted against the local dealer, or step on their
    toes by undercutting their prices.
    There's nothing a bike shop dislikes more than hearing that the customer can
    get it cheaper online or on ebay, [SIZE="5"][SIZE="7"]so maybe you can keep our discussions
    private[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE].
    If you don't come to terms with them, give me a shout.
    Bob

parts leftover
    Well I'll tell ya what Bob, or whatever your name is, you're a creep and you shouldn't be in the business of selling bikes. I asked simple questions and you gave vague useless answers. I'm sure you won't appreciate this post but I'm afraid you didn't post all of our private emails. Why don't you tell everyone here about the runaround you gave me Bob? Why don't you tell everyone how you can't answer a simple question? Maybe it's time to hang up the pedals and think about retirement old fella? Just trying to help.
    Good luck in Sun City.
    Wow, I re-read this thread carefully several times, and I can't see what Bob did wrong that would warrant such an incredible flaming. You did call him out in your first MTBR post, which as a business owner, I'm sure he didn't appreciate.

I agree with Bob, that a local shop is going to do a much better job of setting up a bike, including doing things like switching out the stem, saddle, handlebar, pedals, and properly pressurizing the suspension and setting the rebound. Especially since you admittedly don't know much about mountain bikes.

What was so private in your email asking for a quote? Maybe use the phone if you are that concerned with privacy?

Seriously, you should consider laying off the caffeine or something.

[EDIT] Warp, maybe you should lock or delete this thread? It seems like it will go nowhere good. [EDIT]

"El Whatever"
    I'm locking this one...

Please both parties deal with it in private...
    Check my Site

Members who have read this thread: 0