Thread: Motolite Build

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Motolite Build

My medium motolite is on order .
    Sorry but I can't contain my excitement waiting a few weeks for it... just had to post again!

Is a Shimano LX integrated crankset ok to use?
    Is a Shimano LX front D ok to use?

Will look at XT if available as well. I have never used Integrated cranks (or Shimano cranks for that matter) but I really want to give them a go if they fit. Is their any issues using on the motolite?

What headset is reccomended for someone who can't afford Chris King? I come from the land of Giant Integrated....

My bad news is I will have to put my 05 Mintue 1 on for a while to pinch pennies. Maybe a Revelation in the future?

Ti is addictive
    Raceface Deus or FSA make nice ones at 1/3 the price/

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    At the moment LX is $169 and XT's are under $200.

I've had a string of bad luck with Race Face cranks . I am using a reasonably new seperate FSA crank and MegeQuad bottom bracket on my VT and like them, but these will stay on it becasue they won't fit.

Which FSA integrated would you reccomend in the Shimano Price Range?

mtbr member
    might look at some of the truvativ cranksets that can also be had much cheaper. i'll prolly go with a revelation, perfect fork for this bike

ಠ_ಠ
    XT is such a great deal imo.

Hong Kong Bikeshop has them for $195 shipped. I purchased from them before and the stuff gets here in about a week. LINKY
    Last edited by dulyebr; 08-24-2006 at 10:04 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I've narrowed the cranks to XT or Race Face.
    Looking at Cane Creek S8 headset.
    I wonder what rear shock I will get?

mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Good job! Check Speedgoat for XT m760 cranks

Look in the closeouts section at speedgoat. They have the M760 XT cranks for $179.99 including shipping. I picked up a set of these when i got my Moto-lite frame.

Eyes:blue. Knuckles:white
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    Sorry but I can't contain my excitement waiting a few weeks for it... just had to post again!

Will look at XT if available as well. I have never used Integrated cranks (or Shimano cranks for that matter) but I really want to give them a go if they fit. Is their any issues using on the motolite?

What headset is reccomended for someone who can't afford Chris King? I come from the land of Giant Integrated....

My bad news is I will have to put my 05 Mintue 1 on for a while to pinch pennies. Maybe a Revelation in the future?

I have XT crankset on my ML and it has been flawless through the last 6 months of Scottish winter/spring/summer - pretty much indistinguishable now that we have f*cked up the planet. It has coped perfectly with a lot of grinding mud with nothing more than minor chainring wear. I'm only 150lbs with gear, so heavyweights may wear them more quickly. Bearings super smooth and no play evident yet. Oh yeah, crank arms will get stone chips and cosmetic wear where your ankles rub, but bikes are for riding aren't they?

LX integrated will be all but identical to XT, though maybe a little heavier. The integrated BB seems to be a lesser model but since all exo. bb shells are interchangeable, you could easily upgrade in time.

I'm also using Revelation 426 forks - superb. I think the perfect fork for a lightweight rider on a medium ML.

mtbr member
    The new M580 LX crankset is basically the same as the M760 XT cranks...same technology that has moved down, but just not as lighter. I believe XT are in the 860 g range while LX are 926 g. I have been using the XT on my Racer-X for last 2 years and just moved it over the MotoLite and it still works great. It's handled my 250 lbs weight, so I'm quite happy with it to say the least. By the way, the cheapest that I have seen on them are from Chainreaction. XT for $186 shipped and LX for $139 shipped.

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain

Ok, I have a Hone crankset, which I think is pretty much the LX in black. I'm very happy with it, it's been a good value. No problem with it.

The Rev is a really good fork for the ML. If you can, go for a Pike it might be also a good choice.

I don't know about headsets, when I bought my ML, I went for a Talas and it included the CK. Probably look at the Cane Creek S-3 or S-6, FSA The Pig.

You'll love the bike

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    dust338

Welcome to mtbr !

Great minds think alike....

I also purchased the XT closeout cranks with my motolite frame. Also went with XT front D and a Cane Creek S8 Headset in silver. I'm busting to get my hands on my motolite. I went for a great technical ride on my good old VT on Saturday and I lamented on how much I like the VT (depsite it's design flaws), which only means the motolite will be Unbelievable !

Quote Originally Posted by dust338
    Look in the closeouts section at speedgoat. They have the M760 XT cranks for $179.99 including shipping. I picked up a set of these when i got my Moto-lite frame.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Deals at Chain Reaction

Made a sweet deal on XT cranks at Chain Reaction. If you spend over 250GBP (think that is over $550 US) you get free shipping. I ordered 4 cranks, each $158. I put one set on the Motolite, another set on the Switchblade, and sold the 2 extra cranks on ebay for $180 (made the deal even better).

Chris