mtbr member

Motolite BB Spacer Question

I have a 2009 Motolite. My question is regarding BB install. According to the instructions that came with my race face cranks, I am supposed to use a single spacer on the drive side.

My buddy who also owns a motolite took his into a shop with the same question and they told him based on the chainline, that the spacer is not required.

I have about 100 miles on the bike using the spacer and shifting seems to be ok. I removed the spacer to check the difference in chain line and I couldn't get my front derallueir to line up correctly (it rubbed the chain in the smallest ring regardless of adjustments), so I put the spacer back for the time being.

Can anyone post feedback on thier set-up. To use the spacer or not?

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    On mine (a Truvative Stylo 3.3 crank), the chainline was wrong with the spacer on the drive side (the way it was originally installed by the mechanic). I moved it to the non-drive side and it's fine...honestly not sure whether could have left it off altogether.

mtbr member
    On mine, I have an older XTR M960 crankset - I use 1 spacer on driveside and have perfect chainline.
    Hey, I didn't see that rock there."

ol' dusty lungs
    My 2007 ML2 has a 73mm bb, 50mm chainline, IIRC. I'm using a 2009 Race Face Deus XC crankset with 1 BB spacer drive side. Chainline is perfect..