mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Motolite BB Height - lowering it?

Anyone come across a good way of lowering the BB height on a motolite?

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    Anyone come across a good way of lowering the BB height on a motolite?
    Do you have a welder?

Not sure I've ever heard anyone complain about the BB height on a ML though. Mine feels pretty good where it is with a 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    Get a custom angleset from SAAR. I ran my ML with 140mm fork...BB was way too high. Angle set slacked the front end and lowered BB.

what's that rattle?
    It might be possible to short-shock it with a 7.5 x 2 in the 4" travel position. I would recommend checking for seatstay brace clearance before buying anything.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    ebeer - which version did you get and any idea how much it was lowered by?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heihei View Post
    ebeer - which version did you get and any idea how much it was lowered by?
    -from an old post-
    I ran the Motolite with my Talas in 140mm with 2.4 Conti Mountain Kings. This put my BB up to about 13.8". Pretty high for my liking. So to stave off a new purchase that haunts my dreams, I made a few changes to my current set up. I bought a 1 1/8" custom angle head set from Saar (search the Turner forum if you want more details).

The angle set reduces the HA by 1 degree. Hard to measure accurately, but my iPhone has it around 67-68 degrees. The best part however is my BB dropped down to 13.5"....which when combined with a slacker front end is really nice.

Only one test ride so far but the descents were VERY noticeable. Much more control, easier to rail corners, and confidence inspiring. The front was bit twitchy on steep climbs, but it was like that to begin with and nothing a little body positioning can't solve. I need some more saddle time to evaluate - but for now I'm way lovin' my Motolite!!

what's that rattle?
    I don't think the BB will drop by 1/4" with a 1 head angle change. A quick calculation on geometryCalc gives me about 1.5mm.

That's not to say that the slacker head angle and longer front-center won't give you the performance traits that you're after anyway.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Mine currently measures 14.25" using Magura Thors @ 140mm and 2.3" Spesh Purgatories.

A quick calc using cosine rule suggests a 1deg slacker HA drops the front end by approx 3.5mm so as Blofeld says, at the bb is only going to be approx 1-2mm.

Might try the rear at 100mm and / or the Thors at 125mm to see what difference it makes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    the best way to lower it is to put smaller tires on and run the fork lower, 125mm would be a great balance. Mine was pretty high and I dropped the fork to 120mm and went with slightly smaller tires. I was running Captain 2.2 and went with a ground control/eskar combo. It did make a difference.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I also thought my BB was too tall on my O9 ML. I'm now using a Fox from an an 04 Enduro. It measures 6 5/8 c to c. That with a Fox fork reduced to 110 mm gives me a BB height of 13 " with.2.2 Wolverines. I like it much more now. Turns well and easier to stand over.