mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Motolite AM machine????

I have a dillema. I am in the market for a new bike. I have been flip flopping between a Chumba Evo and a Nomad for some time. The reason I have not pulled the trigger, our crew devotes many weekday rides to CLIMBING- the weekends to the steeps. They all have TWO bikes- I do not!!! For various reason, the Motolite may be my best option.

1) With the proper build kit, is the Motolite a worthy lightweight AM machine that can be ridden hard? Or is it more of a long travel XC bike? Sorry, I have to ask.

2) How easy is it to blow through the 5" of travel? I know- If set-up properly...

3) My next bike WILL HAVE A THRU-AXLE fork. Good idea for a Motolite?

4) The last question may be best answered by SO. CAL Titus owners. How would you rate the Motolites ability to handle The San Juan Trail, Chiquito, Chutes, The Luge, Rock-It, Redbox, Whiting Ranch, Mt, Wilson etc.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Legs
    I have a dillema. I am in the market for a new bike. I have been flip flopping between a Chumba Evo and a Nomad for some time. The reason I have not pulled the trigger, our crew devotes many weekday rides to CLIMBING- the weekends to the steeps. They all have TWO bikes- I do not!!! For various reason, the Motolite may be my best option.

1) With the proper build kit, is the Motolite a worthy lightweight AM machine that can be ridden hard? Or is it more of a long travel XC bike? Sorry, I have to ask.

2) How easy is it to blow through the 5" of travel? I know- If set-up properly...

4) The last question may be best answered by SO. CAL Titus owners. How would you rate the Motolites ability to handle The San Juan Trail, Chiquito, Chutes, The Luge, Rock-It, Redbox, Whiting Ranch, Mt, Wilson etc.
    motolite is very strong. i'm 224 and ride the wee out of mine. I've bottomed my ML out, not that I can feel it... i can tell because of the Oring. bike still goes straight when bottoming. its magic. there are a few really great bikes out there. ML is one of them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Titus has a prototype 6" which should debut for 07.
    Last edited by All Mountain; 09-20-2007 at 10:17 PM.

aka: Fitness Mike
    I've got the 05 moto-lite. I never made a better purchase than this thing. Climbing forget about it, don't worry with the ML in that department. In the DH department i haven't found any thing other than very obvious Freeride stuff that i wouldn't rock the ML on. It will handle SJT, Noble, Whiting, 5 foot drops no Problem. It can go from a race bike to an AM in a few turns of a dial of a talas, a flip of a switch on the rp3, bigger tires and a linkage adjustment. I think it rides a lot better if you use less sag up front because the 5" of travel in the rear is a rising rate and the fox talas is a more linear, its just more balanced this way.If you don't need xc race bike weight and want more travel i'd wait for the "el guapo" with a fox 36 and a dhx air.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I have mine built to around 28 lbs (well, right now it's not rideable since the fork/front wheel are shot after being hit by a car while riding to the trailhead). It is able to climb anything I've tried on it here in NC and yet still is able to downhill and do drops if I wanted. Here's a small example of what it's taken so far:
    Attached Images Attached Images

ಠ_ಠ
    I ride mine as a trail bike (read half step below all mountain), but I feel like there's heaps of room for me to grow on this bike. As shown, there are riders doing light freeride; the ML can take it.

I have knocked my shock o-ring off a few times, but I've never noticed a bottom-out.

Great idea, but Titus recommends a fork with a max of 145mm of travel. They used to show a ML with a Pike on the last version of their website.

Have done most of the trails on your list, and the ML rocked them all. The recent addition of thru-axle fork made a big difference on Rock-It. The ML has a stiff rear end, and the Pike keeps everything stiff up front as well; the bike tracks amazingly well!

Here's a pic with my build weighing in at 27.4 lbs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the advice!

I have a few more questions...

1) When in doubt, I stand up and MASH!!!! Is the Motolite a bike that likes to be ridden out of the saddle? Should one stay seated a pedal smoothly??

2) When flying down singletrack in 5" mode, is the bike more on the nimble side (ie. XC type feel) or stable (ie. an AM bike). Basically, does it get jittery at speed?

3) Has the issue with regard to paint (rubbing off) been resolved?

4) As for the El Guapo, any idea when it will be available. I spoke with the folks at Titus in June, its release date seems to change every few weeks.... from January to November to December to October??

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    dulyebr

What a beauty! Motolust

thats right living legend

Nasty...

Quote Originally Posted by joncmack
    I have mine built to around 28 lbs (well, right now it's not rideable since the fork/front wheel are shot after being hit by a car while riding to the trailhead). It is able to climb anything I've tried on it here in NC and yet still is able to downhill and do drops if I wanted. Here's a small example of what it's taken so far:

Sorry to hear about the wheel, and fork. Hope the rider made it through ok. Nice pic!

What kind of fork "was" it BTW?

the 36 year old grom
    Thanks for the advice!

1) When in doubt, I stand up and MASH!!!! Is the Motolite a bike that likes to be ridden out of the saddle? Should one stay seated a pedal smoothly??
    yes.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Thanks for the advice!

2) When flying down singletrack in 5" mode, is the bike more on the nimble side (ie. XC type feel) or stable (ie. an AM bike). Basically, does it get jittery at speed?

3) Has the issue with regard to paint (rubbing off) been resolved?

4) As for the El Guapo, any idea when it will be available. I spoke with the folks at Titus in June, its release date seems to change every few weeks.... from January to November to December to October??
    1) best climbing FS bike I have owned, regardless of travel.
    2) it felt Xc to me, hence my preference for a longer fork (marz all mountain @ 140mm)
    3) my paint's been great (it's a late 2005, gloss grey)
    4) no idea, but I've abandoned interest for now as I love my current bikes

MC MasterShake
    Agree with FM
    1) Climbing is incredible. Yes you can stand on it and mash. You will get some rider feedback but you expect that with 5" of travel. The RP23 can take care that feedback for those long fireroad climbs. The frame is incredibly stiff which helps you with longterm fatigue.
    2)Depends on the fork and your spacers. With my AM1 I can make it feel anyway I want. Drop it down to 5" for a more XC feel then back up to 145mm for a more DH feel. I leave it at 140mm for normal AM type riding. Even in XC mode it's still very stable at speed.
    3)My paint has been fine. I have an 06 matte grey. I am using frame stickers to avoid cable rub. I have a couple of scratches now but they are so deep the paint wouldn't matter.
    4)Don't care. I found my bike. I was on a 6" Quasi before this bike and I did love it but it didn't fit my riding so much. The ML is a perfect fit for me.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Again, thanks for the comments. They do help. A few more questions...

1) What size would you recommend for a guy about 5'10" tall. I weigh 175lbs.

2) What stem length would you consider a good starting point for an AM type Motolite? 90mm? 100mm?

3) Long cage vs. medium cage?

Again, thanks for the comments. They do help. A few more questions...

1) What size would you recommend for a guy about 5'10" tall. I weigh 175lbs.

2) What stem length would you consider a good starting point for an AM type Motolite? 90mm? 100mm?

3) Long cage vs. medium cage?

Medium frame all the way.
    I don't know? if it were me I'd go 90mm, but 100mm might be a safer bet when recomending to someone.

aka: Fitness Mike
    good stuff.

1. medium frame: titus runs a half size large
    2. 100mm: the ML is so balanced its easy to weight the rear no matter how long.
    3.I would go for long and here is the reason why: If the ML has one knocking point I would say its due to its not so beefy Der. hanger. I have been through a few too many. A long cage would give a bit more give if things do go awry. Maybe look to see if you can find a Stainless Hanger also.

ಠ_ಠ
    Frame: Medium
    Stem: 90mm
    Der: Medium Cage

That's what I got, and it's great! By the way, I'm 5'9, 182lbs. and wear a 34 sleeve.

Titus supposedly has upgraded the der hanger so you should be a-ok.
    Last edited by dulyebr; 08-25-2006 at 06:59 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Thanks for the opinions. They are truly helping me narrow things down. I have yet ANOTHER question.

I guess you could say I am a smooth but AGRESSIVE rider. When decending and on singletrack, I spend a fair amount of time pedaling out of the saddle. I also spend more time than most out of the saddle when attacking the steeps. Does the suspension remain active and usable when descending out of the saddle?

the 36 year old grom
    Does the suspension remain active and usable when descending out of the saddle?
    yes! the suspension works great. ML will not hold you back. I got a 7 inch bike, and its smoother. but the MLs travel is so composed you can do a lot with it.

WP Local
    Buy the bike.... really, just buy the bike..... You will love it...

My wife has been upset since i bought mine because my motolite takes up a good portion of her side of the bed....

Funny!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WP Local
    Buy the bike.... really, just buy the bike..... You will love it...

My wife has been upset since i bought mine because my motolite takes up a good portion of her side of the bed....

Did you see this?

ಠ_ಠ
    Hilarious!

I love showing this stuff to my wife so she knows I'm not the only one...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Sweet Bike

Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I ride mine as a trail bike (read half step below all mountain), but I feel like there's heaps of room for me to grow on this bike. As shown, there are riders doing light freeride; the ML can take it.

I have knocked my shock o-ring off a few times, but I've never noticed a bottom-out.

Great idea, but Titus recommends a fork with a max of 145mm of travel. They used to show a ML with a Pike on the last version of their website.

Have done most of the trails on your list, and the ML rocked them all. The recent addition of thru-axle fork made a big difference on Rock-It. The ML has a stiff rear end, and the Pike keeps everything stiff up front as well; the bike tracks amazingly well!

Here's a pic with my build weighing in at 27.4 lbs.

Whats the HA on your Motolite with the Pike on it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    The fork was a 2004 Manitou Firefly SPV QR axle with a Mavic X-max Enduro front wheel. The lowers on the fork are twisted now. I could just get new lowers for it...but have been looking at the deals on the 2006 Nixon Platinum Intrinsic IT fork in 20mm or one of the Pikes. Since the insurance company is handling the damages...I can choose. Anyone have any experience/thoughts on either (or any other suggestions)?

I came out of the accident ok. Beat up shoulder and big bruise on my inner thigh. Had a nice ride with EMS to the ER, but that's about it.
    Last edited by joncmack; 08-26-2006 at 12:29 PM.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by lawndart
    Whats the HA on your Motolite with the Pike on it?
    Thanks!

I like to keep the Pike at about 127mm of travel (5 inches), which keeps the axle-to-crown at 505mm. This should give me a head angle of exactly 69 deg. With the Pike max'd out with 140mm of travel, the a-to-c goes to 518mm, and that puts the HA at 68.5, which is real nice for scetchy down hill stuff. If I wind the U-turn all the way down I can get the HA as steep as 70 degrees.