mtbr member

Motolight with Float AVA R ?

Anyone try the Motolight with a float AVA R? Or does this bike need a platform sock ?
    This way you can adjust the extra volume that many motolight riders are looking for...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    My Roco Air has no platform as you call it and works well (not the hardtail feel but that's not my bag...) plus the Moto Lite is designed rather well in the pedaling department.

If I were to get a shock for a ML, I would get a new 07 or 08 design coming out. It seems each year they are making better and better air shocks. The high volume sleeve is quickly becoming the new standard sleeve for the RP23 for many 08 bikes.

Yeah, AVA is a good toy for the ML to adjust volume. PUSH treatment on it would be even better and make it a keeper.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Well, my 0.02.

I just switched from Float AVA R ProPedal to RP3 on my MotoLite.

When my ML arrived, it had its original RP3 with Medium ProPedal setting, I believe. I didn't like it much and kept swapping shocks. I tried Fox Vanilla, Manitou Swinger, RS Pearl 3.1 and finally Fox Float AVA R ProPedal. From what I've learned:

- AVA is definitely the plushest.
    - I ride XC and I wanted it to have a bit of compression/pedaling platform.
    - Medium platformed RP3 is a bit harsh in my opinion, so I'd shoose AVA over it.
    - Light platformed RP3 is slightly harsher than AVA but is more efficient in pedaling department, so now I chose it.
    - Swinger is good, but I didn't have a chance to ride it a lot.
    - Pearl is not bad, but still is not very good. Not very plush and hard to get full travel.

So, if:

You want the bike to pedal fast, choose something with more platform and/or comression adj.

You want something REALLY plush, choose AVA.

By the way, I weigh about 210 lbs, and AVA was often very-very close to bottoming out.

p. s. Both RP3s are/were with standard air sleeve, not the Hi-Volume.