Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: moto for me?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

moto for me?

In the market for a new trail bike, moto looks like a good choice for New England singletrack, etc. Budget dictates I would be purchasing the alum moto complete with the Talas, etc.

Should I be concerned with my weight (about 210) on this frame/build kit.....never really seen anything regarding a weight limit.

Thanks!

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Sci Teach
    In the market for a new trail bike, moto looks like a good choice for New England singletrack, etc. Budget dictates I would be purchasing the alum moto complete with the Talas, etc.

Should I be concerned with my weight (about 210) on this frame/build kit.....never really seen anything regarding a weight limit.

Thanks!
    You'll be fine at that weight. Lots of fatties (read: heavier than you) riding the motolite with no problem. The complete alum motolite is a killer deal.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I got the 2007 Moto-lite complete just a few months ago and I am loving it.

I am a slow rider by nature (235lbs and out of shape) but it reduced my lap time on my local trail by over 10% from my previous bike. It just rides nice, corners better and climbs/rolls faster. This is on North Georgia singletrack.

I recomend it.

Chet

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Thanks!
    Great choice in the Moto Lite. I am heavier than you and have had no issues with my frame. It's a tough stiff frame. The complete is a good tough build for it's price. Just change out the rear tyre (and possibly a wider seat) and go !~!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    excellent! this isn't gonna take much convincing. Always had an open eye on these. Thanks!

rear tire change?? clearance issue, or just a better tire. I've been using conti verts (not really 2.3) with no complaints....seem to work on the trails local....suggestions? not that it matters, but what would be a good guestimate on the weight of this bike?? 30? ALl mtn, you liking the talas? getting slightly less than 69 ha running in 140?

Now, I jsut need to find a lbs....nobody within 100 miles seems to have one (southern nh).
    would really like to throw a leg over the saddle of one first.....but.......online gets me one pretty darn quickly!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    The rear tyre is a Kenda Small Block.... which is more of dry conditions hardpack I guess.... never tried them... but I bet they clog up pretty quick.

Talas R is a great fork

what size frame will you get ?~?

if it's a medium: 69 HA @ 140 travel

if it's a small: 68.75 HA @ 140 travel

in case you don't know... the small only had a 1.5" shock stroke (all the other sizes are 2" stroke)

Bikerbob.com posted up the weight of a Moto Lite Complete but can't remember if it was 30 lbs or 31 lbs ?~? All search and see if I can find it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Weight... have a look at this thread (if you haven't seen it already)

mtbr member
    Sci Teach, I am in the Manchester/ Derry area and have a built-up Pimpalicious Ti Motolite. I would be more than happy to let you thrash it for a little while of you want. You want to rip up some fomba/fort rock ST this afternoon, I'll be out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The large Moto-lite complete I bought had Kenda Nevangals 2.35 tires front and back. I like them. It also had an RP23 shock.

The only thing I changed on mine was I upgraded to a X-9 rear der.

My Large weighed 30 lbs with egg beater pedals.

The sizing for the Moto-lite is a little strange with the Med being closer to a large with other manf and the large being bigger than most other manf larges. There are several threads on this forum on sizing the Moto-lite.

I bought mine online from bikerbob.com.
    Last edited by chet3; 05-24-2007 at 05:05 PM.

MC MasterShake

Thanks!
    The ML is a great choice for NE singletrack. I'm in the Boston area and my ML is a perfect fit. It's a great climber, it's fast and nimble on the faster trails, and it's tough enough to handle the technical stuff. Get this bike, you won't regret it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    REALLY want to throw a leg over one......only LBS I can find remotely close is International bike in Newton, Mass....and they are not expecting any for a few weeks, bummer. Guess I could just do a net purchase......speedgoat is almost in NE....

If you had a chance to upgrade from the std kit....would a fork or shock upgrade be worth the $$......I'm sure the new ride will be a huge improvement.

Woodyak....where did you get yours?

So is your face
    Why not get a demo from competitive cyclist for $200 for a week?
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

MC MasterShake
    I'd let you ride mine but I have an XS so I don't think you'd get a good feel for it.

I've got the RP23 on mine which is pretty good fit. It's more on the XC side though. I had it PUSH'd which made it a bit more plush. If I had the choice I'd probably try to get the Zoke TST coil on the back. I'm not a big fan of the talas. It's a bit too flimsy for my use. If your mostly doing XC it would be fine. I'm using the AM1 which is a really good fit if you're going to do modest drops and steep rollers. A little heavier than the Talas but more rigid and stronger as well.

I got my bike from Charles @ Hammerhead bikes. I've net purchased a few bikes from him and I have a few friends that have done the same off of my recommendation. Great service and very flexible. You might be able to get him to swap out some parts from the std. kit. Tell him Bill from MA sent you if you go that route.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My wife's complete came with Nev's front and rear. You never really know. It seems like they substitute whatever they don't have in stock. Her's also came with an RP23. I am running Vert Pro's on mine and love them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Demo time

The closest LBS to me jsut got some ML's in, and has built up med and large bikes for demo. time for me to demo.

My biggest question now, what size? I'm about 5"11", go about 205, and an approx 32 " inseam. I checed out the ml setupt page, and it looks like some folks 5"10" have meds, 5"11" have large. I figured I would be inbetween sizes, but is it really this close? I'm hoping the LBS is capable of helping me here (they seem to be a high end road shop).....and as they are 60 miles away, not really local, but the best I can do.

Recomondations??

Biker Bob is only about 11 hours away.....do I hear road trip?

"El Whatever"
    The closest LBS to me jsut got some ML's in, and has built up med and large bikes for demo. time for me to demo.

My biggest question now, what size? I'm about 5"11", go about 205, and an approx 32 " inseam. I checed out the ml setupt page, and it looks like some folks 5"10" have meds, 5"11" have large. I figured I would be inbetween sizes, but is it really this close? I'm hoping the LBS is capable of helping me here (they seem to be a high end road shop).....and as they are 60 miles away, not really local, but the best I can do.

Recomondations??

Biker Bob is only about 11 hours away.....do I hear road trip?
    I'd say medium...
    Check my Site

Ti is addictive
    I'd say medium as well with a 110 stem and straight seatpost, but Bob would be better to ask..........I'm 5.8 with 29.5 inseam and like my small.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    medium is my guess

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Sci Teach did you get it or Demo yet?
    I just picked up a RacerX (hammerhead version) and love it for the NewEng trails. I would imagine a new ML would only be better and better....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

what size?

I got to demo a large ML today. Must say it was a really nice demo, the shop let me loose on some local st....made for a great trial.

The bike was a large, with a 110 stem. This arrangement seemed a bit long, as it made it tough to get the front end up quickly when needed while on the flats. Uphill, it was easier to get up over big roots, etc, but definetly well planted while grinding.

Some have suggested a medium with the 110/120 stem length. Does this gain me anything over, let's say, a large with a 90 mm. stem? Effectively, the cockpit dim. stays the same, with my butt a bit further back away from the front axle. Wouldn't this be be better than a shorter tt with a long stem?

by the way, this was the all alum kit....very nice indeed. But, now I'm thinking moto II. Dang, gotta get deeper pockets!

thanks for the help!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I prefer a long Top Tube with a short stem (70 min or 90.... to say 100 max)

but, I don't prefer sizes that make me use a 110 or 120 stem.... for trail riding (I'm too short )

A large with a 90 stem would feel much better for you.

ML has a slack seat angle... I have just over 6" from top of seat tube to seat rail which makes me on the small end of my frame size. When seated my ML climbs remarkably well for a 68 degree HA (on a ML) due to this. I suppose if I had another inch or two of seat pole extension I probably could not climb as well sitting with my tall fork as it would shift too much weight back. I am 5'8 with 30 inseam on medium.

I can also use a 90 stem for XC.... so standing and descending in steep is still fun and stable. I can run a 70 stem on mine and not feel cramped for extra DH fun (but climbing suffers).

A large has a longer wheelbase so it will be more stable, but loose some maneuverability from a smaller wheelbase medium frame. If your trails are tight and twisty a medium may be best. If your trails are more open or straight with sweeping turns then large may be best.

Hard decision. Nothing wrong with a medium with a 100 or 110 stem though. If you use wide bars and a 100 or 110 stem on a medium you may not feel cramped.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I forgot... the ML seems to handle better in corners when getting some weight on the front end. My switch from a 70 stem to a 90 stem made a big difference. I did try 100 but was too stretched out to offer effective control in the rough. I do not know what stem lengths each frame size was designed around. This info should also be used in conjunction with the published 506mm tall fork when accessing geometry, or how a particular setup would work.

You can get more weight to the front with a 100 or 110 stem and a medium and should feel great... or by using rider input to weight the bars.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Agree with AM that the Moto corners best with weight up front. I run a 110mm stem and, for the last week, have had the Talas dialed down to 120mm and have found that I can really dive into corners with confidence. At the same time, I can still get the front end up when I need to.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I forgot... the ML seems to handle better in corners when getting some weight on the front end. My switch from a 70 stem to a 90 stem made a big difference. I did try 100 but was too stretched out to offer effective control in the rough. I do not know what stem lengths each frame size was designed around. This info should also be used in conjunction with the published 506mm tall fork when accessing geometry, or how a particular setup would work.

You can get more weight to the front with a 100 or 110 stem and a medium and should feel great... or by using rider input to weight the bars.

I have no doubt that if the ML was designed around a particular stem length "specificially" it was a 110mm for a Med.

Edit: Mine corners phenomenoly with a 110-100 and 90mm stem which is all I've yet tried. But mine is set up with a much better engine than the rest of yours.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Yolden Gears
    Agree with AM that the Moto corners best with weight up front. ....
    I had problems in the corners. A concerned demo_slug help me realise that I needed more weight on the front .... I'm used to putting "rider weight" up front in the corners to steer... but that idea does not work all that good for me XC as I get tired quick due to lack of fitness. I found out the hard way that 5 minute DH runs are very different to 3 hour XC rides.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast