mtbr member
    Jan 2006

Moto Lite vs Ellsworth Epithay

I currently ride a 2006 Racer X which is a great bike but I want something that is more plush on down hill bombs but can still climb close to my Racer X. I was all set to put my $$ down a a ML until some of my riding buddies starting telling how great of ride the Epithay was. Has anyone out there rode both of these bikes?? What are your thoughts?

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Head
    I currently ride a 2006 Racer X which is a great bike but I want something that is more plush on down hill bombs but can still climb close to my Racer X. I was all set to put my $$ down a a ML until some of my riding buddies starting telling how great of ride the Epithay was. Has anyone out there rode both of these bikes?? What are your thoughts?

They sure are pirdy...

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    They sure are pirdy...
    I rode with a guy with one on sunday. nice bike. whats not to like. I didn't ride it. so ??? he liked it.

I realy like it when people I ride with have nice bikes. now if only they would stop using tubes. dam it. I swear, I've only gotten one flat in the last year, but I go thru about a tube a week....

Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    I rode with a guy with one on sunday. nice bike. whats not to like. I didn't ride it. so ??? he liked it.

I realy like it when people I ride with have nice bikes. now if only they would stop using tubes. dam it. I swear, I've only gotten one flat in the last year, but I go thru about a tube a week....

I know a guy, who has to ride with me sometimes, that would prob say the same thing.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Head
    Having come off an Ellsworth Id, which is similar (similar, dont flame me) I am surmising that you mean by wanting to bomb down some hills, you want to go harder than what you are. I think you will feel better on a ML. I enjoy it the most bombing downhill. I doubt that frrm what I hear the Ephiany would climb as well as a Racer X. The Truth may!

I would demo a ML, you still have the option of 4 or 5 inches. And they climb real well.

The rides of the Ellsworth ICT and Tutus are very diferent. The ML is stiffer than a honeymooners chopper in the rare stays. That is a huge plus for me.............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Jan 2006

ML vs Epi

Thanks for the help guys. I leaning toward the ML, the Racer X is one of the finest bikes I've ridden, so if the ML climbs close that level and can decend even better this may be my bike.

Veni Vidi Vici
    The group I ride with are predominantly ellesworth riders, at least 9 rides ephiphany and lots ride a moment. I have test ride both , but my vote goes with ML. Climbs better, almost the same in descend.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by barelylegal
    The group I ride with are predominantly ellesworth riders, at least 9 rides ephiphany and lots ride a moment. I have test ride both , but my vote goes with ML. Climbs better, almost the same in descend.
    The Epi is a half lbs. lighter, and has a much steeper seat tube angle. On paper, it should be the better climber. Why did you feel the ML was better?

It's A Titus!

Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    The Epi is a half lbs. lighter, and has a much steeper seat tube angle. On paper, it should be the better climber. Why did you feel the ML was better?

No really though, the ML is a super climber and it can handle what a 5" trail bike should be able, and than SOME!

If you want a cushy Truth, than go for it, if you want a racer X that can jump and drop, and FLY through rough DH's go Moto! ...... And it's probably about as fast as the Epi anyway.

Just my HO...

ಠ_ಠ
    That's a good question....

How important is frame stiffness for climbing?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I have not ridden the Epi. However, I do own a Racer X 100 and a Motolite. The Motolite climbs really good, but not quite as good as the Racer X. However, I view the Racer X 100 to be the best climbing full suspension bike. The ML is a great climber for a 5" travel bike.

screamer
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the MSRP on the Epiphany is $1k more than the Motolite. Even if the ML rode like a Huffy (BTW: it doesn't), I would give it the nod on that basis alone.
    I'm even more surprised that no one has mentioned the dorktacular 70's custom van paint job that Ellsworth came out with this year. Where's the emoticon for projectile vomiting?

Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that the MSRP on the Epiphany is $1k more than the Motolite. Even if the ML rode like a Huffy (BTW: it doesn't), I would give it the nod on that basis alone.
    I'm even more surprised that no one has mentioned the dorktacular 70's custom van paint job that Ellsworth came out with this year. Where's the emoticon for projectile vomiting?

HA!!! Funny!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    That's not to mention that for what an Epiphany costs, you can get a Ti ML and maybe even have custom geometry.

Good point, Bud!
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That's not to mention that for what an Epiphany costs, you can get a Ti ML and maybe even have custom geometry.

Good point, Bud!
    Well, price is important, but at this level of bikes, 1k might not be a dealbreaker if you really want an Epi. I haven't ridden one, nor seen one, so I can't say anything about that bike. But the ML is sweeet!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Well, price is important, but at this level of bikes, 1k might not be a dealbreaker if you really want an Epi.

Now that's a weird statement...

The difference makes up for a CK or DT top drawer wheelset and some change for some blingy control parts.

It could be rephrased like "If you're really set on an Epi and money is no object, 1K would make no difference"

But yeah... someone looking for a Ferrari feels the difference in price to a Porsche is not that much. It depends much on the context.

But within a budget (and it doesn't have to be a tight one)... 1k makes a difference.

Food for touhgt... does the Epi really makes the 1k difference worth going that way? Not bashing on E riders. Just a thought.

Whafe... could you please cast your opinion?
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...

The difference makes up for a CK or DT top drawer wheelset and some change for some blingy control parts.

It could be rephrased like "If you're really set on an Epi and money is no object, 1K would make no difference"

But yeah... someone looking for a Ferrari feels the difference in price to a Porsche is not that much. It depends much on the context.

But within a budget (and it doesn't have to be a tight one)... 1k makes a difference.

Food for touhgt... does the Epi really makes the 1k difference worth going that way? Not bashing on E riders. Just a thought.

Well, how much would a complete ML and a Epi be? 3,500 to 4,500? Yes, the price is important, but I'm not sure it would be the most important factor. If he's looking at both bikes, then I think that he's able to buy anyone of those.

Ok, maybe he has a top budget that would let him buy an Epi with a good build and a ML with an excelent build (better wheelsets, brakes, what else). Or he could take that 1,000 and buy something else.

"Its All Good"

Im back, been at the hospital, I have a baby daughter, yeah ha. Mia, she is beautiful.

Well for me having owned two Ellsworths, the extra money for the frame does not account for anything in the ride quality. This is subjective though. Having a Ti ExoGrid ML, the build quality is as good as an Ellsworth and form what I have picked up and seen, the Titus build quality is up there. The anodised paint on the Ellsworth was a huge thing for me. It always looked spanking new after a wash. No anodising now with Ellsworth.... I am one who feels proud if you cna have 2 bikes form the same manufacturer in your stable. So go for the ML, and as Warp mentioned, you could have a ti ML for the same price almost, now thats worth considering...

Good luck either way....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

ಠ_ಠ

Good job! Congratulations!!!

[SIZE=6] Congratulations!!![/SIZE]

Mia, what a nice name...

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Im back, been at the hospital, I have a baby daughter, yeah ha. Mia, she is beautiful.
    Hey Whafe.. congratulations on Mia yehaaaa!!!! party party party.... whohooooooo

I was also just from the hostpital, my sisters daughter was born yesterday at 10:40 pm, after 12 hour labour... It was pretty tiring for her. She's the first niece from me. It was pretty emotional holding her, I can't seem to understand how you feel, being the father. Congratulations

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    [SIZE="5"]BIG CONGRATULATIONS!!!!![/SIZE]

Yeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!

Dude, who the hell cares about this silly discussion of ML Vs. Epi (not to offend the Original Poster), when you just had this blockbuster new for us!!

Now, spill the beans... weight, size, pics and else... You bragged 'bout your ride, a daughter is way more important. I guess I'm not wrong about we all were wishing it happened soon and for the mother and her to be all well.

Big congrats from Warp family! My wife doesn't know you, but she sends her best wishes too... she's really excited 'bout your girl.. seriously!

Rzoz... BIG CONGRATS TO YOU TOO!!!!!
    Last edited by Warp; 08-12-2006 at 08:23 PM.
    Check my Site

Veni Vidi Vici
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr

When I climb my ML, I feel that there is an extra forward motion everytime I pedal hard on steep climbs, a motion that i did not feel with the other bike.

Veni Vidi Vici
    [QUOTE=Whafe]Im back, been at the hospital, I have a baby daughter, yeah ha. Mia, she is beautiful.

Congratulations Whafe!!