mtbr member
    Feb 2004

moto lite shock settings.

Just setting up my new medium moto lite. Weigh 180lbs. What shock pressures are people running to give me an idea were to start. rode with about 130lbs. was very plush but felt like the bike wallowed on the climbs. Do the longer shock on the med/large need less pressure than the smaller stroke shock on the small frame?
    thanks.
    NHrider

mtbr member
    amcsix,

I have a small moto with a RP23 and I am running 160psi and I also weigh 180. I am running the propedal in the second setting with the rebound set fairly slow, three clicks out from top I think.

Training for vacation

Im at 130 too...

I weigh 175 6’1”
    06 ml large w/ RP3
    90 mm 6 deg stem
    I have experimented from 120 to 200 psi. I used to run 160 to 180 psi but recently I have been using less that 150 psi.
    At about 135 psi I get around .48” sag, this is less than the recommended .50” which is what Fox recommends for a shock with 2.00” stroke.

I am really on the fence with the RP3 tho. Not sure if ill keep it stock, push it, add a higher volume sleeve, or just trade it for a coil. It seems that at ‘proper’ sag my rebound has to be around 3 or less clicks away from full fast and ill eat what appears to be about 70% of my rear travel going at a moderate pace (7 mph) over a 6” curb. I haven’t read much about this shock but maybe this is a progressive feature of the shock? Supple at first then firm…

Since I live in Fl and its too hot now to do much riding since I made several suspension tweaks and I haven’t been able to test the ‘proper sag’ on any hucks or Dhs. However, I am soon going on my required 9 day ‘spiritual retreat’ in which ill put around 120 miles on my new setup. Going to Chilhowee, Pisgah, Thunderock, all the SE greats.

On a similar note I have a 07 Van RLC and I am also having troubles with sag. The stock blue spring gives me 8% to 14% sag. If I stand slowly ill get 1.1” of sag. Should be an easy 1.25”. The blue spring is designed to give riders 150lbs to 180 lbs proper sag on most setups. Its just strange at my weight that I have to go with the 2nd lowest spring rate ‘purple’ spring; the ‘rider weight’ in fox literature for this one is 115 to 150. But I guess that’s what happens when you put a short stem on a rear biased bike.

edit: oops 2" stroke not 2.25 now im closer to the recommended sag...
    Last edited by gte819s; 05-16-2007 at 01:50 PM.

So is your face
    I am between 175 and 180 and I run 160 lbs with propedal 2 and 4 clicks in from slow on the rebound. This gives me the recommended .5" sag. I tried slower rebound settings, but to me the shock started to feel like mush.
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by gte819s
    I weigh 175 6’1”
    06 ml large w/ RP3
    90 mm 6 deg stem
    I have experimented from 120 to 200 psi. I used to run 160 to 180 psi but recently I have been using less that 150 psi.
    At about 135 psi I get around .48” sag, this is less than the recommended .56” which is what Fox recommends for a shock with 2.25” stroke.

I am really on the fence with the RP3 tho. Not sure if ill keep it stock, push it, add a higher volume sleeve, or just trade it for a coil. It seems that at ‘proper’ sag my rebound has to be around 3 or less clicks away from full fast and ill eat what appears to be about 70% of my rear travel going at a moderate pace (7 mph) over a 6” curb. I haven’t read much about this shock but maybe this is a progressive feature of the shock? Supple at first then firm…

Since I live in Fl and its too hot now to do much riding since I made several suspension tweaks and I haven’t been able to test the ‘proper sag’ on any hucks or Dhs. However, I am soon going on my required 9 day ‘spiritual retreat’ in which ill put around 120 miles on my new setup. Going to Chilhowee, Pisgah, Thunderock, all the SE greats.

On a similar note I have a 07 Van RLC and I am also having troubles with sag. The stock blue spring gives me 8% to 14% sag. If I stand slowly ill get 1.1” of sag. Should be an easy 1.25”. The blue spring is designed to give riders 150lbs to 180 lbs proper sag on most setups. Its just strange at my weight that I have to go with the 2nd lowest spring rate ‘purple’ spring; the ‘rider weight’ in fox literature for this one is 115 to 150. But I guess that’s what happens when you put a short stem on a rear biased bike.
    Hey, what size shock does the motolite use? I thought it was a 7.5 X 2.0 but don't really know.

So is your face
    7.875x2.0
    IT'S NOT THE FALL THAT HURTS. IT'S WHEN YOU HIT THE GROUND.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by celluloid hero
    7.875x2.0
    Anybody ever try a longer stroke shock with the same length? Say a 7.875 X 2.25?

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by anand
    Anybody ever try a longer stroke shock with the same length? Say a 7.875 X 2.25?

If you go get yourself a Marz Roco coil TST, and run to the hardware store, get this bottom out bumper thingy, than yes. Other wise NO!

Hey Florida guy!... Put your Rp23 at 1/2" sag, and I don't care how much you take on a curb, it'll ramp up nicey enough to even take on Pisgah or whereever.... Pisgah is the SHIZZEL! I'd love to see some of those "ghey's" out west "or in Tasmainia" take the shizzy up there! Esp those PNW hoes that think they gots th Mojo talkin all this Whistler BS! They'ed be $hitin thier shorrrtzzzz.

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    If you go get yourself a Marz Roco coil TST, and run to the hardware store, get this bottom out bumper thingy, than yes. Other wise NO!

Hey Florida guy!... Put your Rp23 at 1/2" sag, and I don't care how much you take on a curb, it'll ramp up nicey enough to even take on Pisgah or whereever.... Pisgah is the SHIZZEL! I'd love to see some of those "ghey's" out west "or in Tasmainia" take the shizzy up there! Esp those PNW hoes that think they gots th Mojo talkin all this Whistler BS! They'ed be $hitin thier shorrrtzzzz.
    if it didn't happen at whistler it doesn't count.

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    if it didn't happen at whistler it doesn't count.
    Whistler is where they invented "electricity"!... or the wheel?

the 36 year old grom
    Whistler is where they invented "electricity"!... or the wheel?
    its where the lefty was created.

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    its where the lefty was created.

It's also where they invented the middle finger!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I assume that if you left the shock at 2.25 it would cause problems?