mtbr member

moto lite running the 100 set up

so i am just about ready to make the jump to a motolite.
    i am a bit of a clyde and ride in north texas.

i am wondering if anyone out there runs theres in the 100 travel selection?
    i know it seems a bit of a waste but the trails i ride in my opinion dont need the extra travel.

i can be convinced otherwise but i am just checking to see what some others think

thanks
    "who's pushing the pedals on the season cycle?" -xtc

searcher
    I tried it in the 100 mm for a few days, it felt a little better on the climbs, and it is quite enough for this area where I ride, but then I went back to the longer travel mode, it still climbs efficiently enough to keep up with my friend on a carbon Trek Fuel( ok, he is faster, but not too much) , and in the longer travel position it is just so nice on the descents. Bottomless. You will love it either way, for sure!
    Kovi

mtbr member
    nice. thanks so much for the reply. we do not have many decsents here in north texas. i am thinking about getting a 115-130 travel fork and kinda split the diff.

thanks again for the info.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by phatphil
    nice. thanks so much for the reply. we do not have many decsents here in north texas. i am thinking about getting a 115-130 travel fork and kinda split the diff.

thanks again for the info.

It's so easy to switch the travel settings, you can try in both configurations, on the same ride if you wanted to anyway.

Though I'd recomend you give each a few rides, at least.

mtbr member
    10-4 now if that damn bonus check would just get here....lol

ok so switching is easy. what forks are folks using? i am thinking about the rock shox revalation.

searcher

ok so switching is easy. what forks are folks using? i am thinking about the rock shox revalation.
    Perfect choice. I use a Reba, I like it. Lot of MLs have Pikes.
    You can check the setups down to the rubbers in the MotoLite setup thread.
    One more thing. If you swith between the travels, you have to change the pressure in the rear shock as well. For the 100 mm setting you will need lower pressure.
    And, yes, BA is right, you should try both settings for a couple of rides.
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    Perfect choice. I use a Reba, I like it. .
    how much travel do you get out of your Reba? I thought they where 85 - 100 on the travel?

austin ex-patriot
    Dec 2005

fellow North Texas rider...

I just got my Motolite and bought an 07 Talas which has 3 preset travel positions: 100-120-140. For most of my rides around Dallas, I put it in the 4" rear travel setting and 100 up front for a 4x4 set up. It handles very nicely this way and is enough travel for this area. You should note that the bottom bracket height is a little bit taller than most other 4" travel bikes. I personally like a taller bottom bracket but there is a bit of a trade off. When I go out to Grapevine I'll put it in the 5" travel setting in the rear and 120 up front. This is nice and the angles are still pretty good. Doesn't handle quit as sharp as in 4" mode, which is no surprise and no criticism, but very good for an almost 5x5 travel bike. I came off a Quasi that I rode for a couple of years in the Austin area and so I'm somewhat partial to longer travel bikes with higher bottom bracets. The fact that I can set this up for riding in Austin and Dallas is what really interested me about this bike. The Talas or other adjustable travel fork is a must on this bike IMO. I'm going to ride in Austin this weekend and look forward to trying the 5" rear and 140 up front on some of the sections there. I've played around with it at Grapevine and it's a bit chopperish but will be nice on some of the longer techy descents. A 120 or 130 front fork is best with this frame in the 5" rear travel setting and a 100 is spot on for the 4" rear travel setting IMO

mtbr member
    man i love this forum! you ask a question and the next thing you know someone in your own backyard is telling you like it is on your home turff.

thanks a bunch for everyones help.

the bb height is gonna weird me out as it is seeing as i am riding a bontrager wtih an 11.25" bottom bracket height. i am sure i am gonna have to re learn how to ride on the double squishy. but hey i'm drinking milk......lol

thanks again

Gravity Tester
    Hey Phil,

I'm also a pretty beefy ML owner riding in N. Texas. I run in the 5" mode with a PUSH'ed Fox RP3 and RockShox Revelation 454 U-Turn (set at 120mm). As paschal stated, those settings are great for Grapevine and I pretty much leave it at that. Where I really enjoy the travel is at Johnson Branch and Isle DuBois trails in the extensive rocky sections. As long as you can keep momentum the ML will just eat it up. For other trails in the area I usually opt for the SS hardtail. That being said, if you find the 5" setting too squishy, then the 4" mode will work for all of the trails around here.

Bike to the Bone...

I have a Revelation on my Moto Lite and I think it's awesome. I had a Talas previously, and I think both are pretty good. I've been thinking on switching again to the talas, but probably I'll keep the Rev on the ML. If it was the Revelation vs 2007 Talas, I would probably go to the Talas (easier to change travel, a little more travel for descents). But the revelation has a nice platform that would help for more XC terrain. And it's cheaper also, so it's a very nice choice.

searcher
    how much travel do you get out of your Reba? I thought they where 85 - 100 on the travel?
    It is a 2005 reba race, with 115 mm max. I set it there and I am happy with it so far.
    Of course I amthinking to swap it to a Revelation or a Pike, just to spend some money, but IMHO the Reba is just doing fine on the ML. I would probably feel the difference with the Pike, the Rev....I dont know, its 1.5 cm more travel, and a different color..
    Kovi

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I use the 5 inch setting even when I'm commuting. It's just more fun.

And yes, I've used all five inches of travel while commuting. I got ambushed by a curb at night. Those five inches of Titus saved me from a taco'd wheel and a violent meeting with a sidewalk.

I've used the five inch mode for XC races, too. Eventually I'll try the four inch mode out of sheer curiosity, but certainly not for feeling the five inch mode is lacking in any performance aspect.

mtbr member
    thanks everyone that chimmed in on this. i ordered it this morning.