MC MasterShake

Moto-Lite & an AM1

Anyone riding an AM1 on their MotoLite? I've searched the forums and I couldn't find anyone with one. Anyone else care to comment on how this fork would work on this frame? Currently it's on my Quasi-moto and it seems to be a good fit. The HA is pretty slack but some of that is how the bike is designed.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Anyone riding an AM1 on their MotoLite? I've searched the forums and I couldn't find anyone with one. Anyone else care to comment on how this fork would work on this frame? Currently it's on my Quasi-moto and it seems to be a good fit. The HA is pretty slack but some of that is how the bike is designed.
    Woody, FM has one on his MotoLite...................FM, buddy are you out there................ Woody FM will advise you, he is liking the fork alot. I had one on my ID, and was so going to put it on the ML, but decided to try the Pike 454.... At times still miss the AM1, but am real happy with the Pike Air.............

Am not sure if FM has updated his picture in the MotoLite setup database, check through that thread. His bike is sitting high up on some rocks, it is a great picture.....

Good luck...............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

thats right living legend
    Actuall FM's is an AM-SL, but it's pretty much the same, ie handling charicteristics and what not. I'm sure he'll chime in here sometime he's very helpfull, and knows what he's talking about...

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

I want to know too.

I'm interested to see FM's thoughts, or anyone elses for that matter. I'm looking to replace my FXR with a ML, but I really don't want to get rid of my all mountain 1. I love that fork. Perhaps the HA will be too slack though. If I had to replace, I'd choose the Pike, probably coil though.

Veni Vidi Vici
    I am not so sure if there is much difference between AM 1 and AM SL. I am using AM SL on my 06' ML, and the ride is awesome , I got a recommendation from FM regarding this fork, I had to make some adjustments to do with it, because initially I was not happy about it. But FM gave me a good advise on how to tune my AM SL, and now its the sweetest fork for me... and I have no intention of changing it, I have been very happy with my AM SL in my ML.... Highly recommendable...

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Actuall FM's is an AM-SL, but it's pretty much the same, ie handling charicteristics and what not. I'm sure he'll chime in here sometime he's very helpfull, and knows what he's talking about...
    Yep, indeed it is an SL, cheers Black A for reminding me.... As Black A mentions, no real difference in lengths etc, it is internals............... But as mentioned, FM knows his stuff on this fork and frame combo
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"El Whatever"
    My AM1 works pretty well on my Switchblade at 130mm for what's that worth... I run a rather deep sag, though.

It feels just nice. Not the best geo for climbing, but certainly not bad at all. Just turn on the ETA and up you go.

Try it at 130mm and work your way up from there, but be aware that 145mm is the absolute max for the ML and Zokes are already tall. My AM1 hits the same axle to crown as a Pike set at 140mm.
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Woody, FM has one on his MotoLite...................FM, buddy are you out there................ Woody FM will advise you, he is liking the fork alot. \.
    LOL... Sorry to be AWOL on this thread, I just got back from a weeks vacation in Whistler- I guess I'll post all about that in a different thread. The motolite had some fun.

Woodyak, the AM1 would be a great choice for the motolite- in fact, I'd probably choose that if I was starting over. Either that or a pike. Marzocchi forks tend to be tall for their travel, and personally I like the effect- it gives the motolite a more all-mountain feel I guess you could say. Slows the steering down, which is great for techy downhill but not as good for climbing. But, the AM1 has ETA! so lock that sucker down for climbing and then unlock the ETA for confidence-inspiring laid-back slackness for the downhills.

I have the AM SL, which is basically the same fork as an AM1, except for the cartridge in the left leg. The SL's left leg is "doppio air", which allows travel adjustment between 130-150mm by adjusting positive and negative air pressures. There is a third air chamber ("par") that serves as a bottom out adjustment.

I've found that at full 150mm travel, the AM SL is a bit too slack for balanced handling- but adjusted to 140mm with no spacers under the stem, the handling is spot-on. ETA woudl make it even better. On the AM1, you should be able to use the TAS adjustment to reduce the travel just a bit to 140. You may need to adjust your cockpit as well to balance things out, but it should be oh-so-good. I say go for it!

"Its All Good"
    So too had thought you went AWOL

Look forward to pictures etc of Whistler

MC MasterShake
    Thanks for the post. I have purched the ML already. I hope to have it some time this week! I was mainly concerned with that fork being too tall but I am riding it on on a Quasi right now which is super slack at the full 150. I'm sure I'll be able to find a happy medium.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by woodyak
    Thanks for the post. I have purched the ML already. I hope to have it some time this week! I was mainly concerned with that fork being too tall but I am riding it on on a Quasi right now which is super slack at the full 150. I'm sure I'll be able to find a happy medium.
    yes, by reducing the travel just a bit by using the TAS adjustment you should be fine. On my rig, I found that lowering my bars and moving the saddle forward also helped a lot. Post some pics!