Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moto-Flare

FM
    luxatio erecta

Moto-Flare

got some new flare for the motolite! (sorry, saw office space recently)

new stuff:
    truvativ stylo crankset & sram chain (no more square tapers!)
    e13 bashguard

Also- rebuilt my rear hub, drilled out my cables stops for full length housing, changed the fork oil, and generally gave the bike a once over... I think it's ready for 2007!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (137.7 KB, 400 views)
    • File Type: jpg 0.jpg (157.0 KB, 399 views)

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    !~! [SIZE="7"]Flash[/SIZE] !~!

thats right living legend

Daaaaaaamn!!!

That looks the shizzle! Red baby red! I've been doing the whole add on overhaul thing myself lately. Think I might stop by the blood bank to help pay for it.

Should we start a Titus board minimum for pieces of flare one is requiered to have on thier bike?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Paging Coolio

FM

I put 175 / 50 ml in my fork. How much did you use ?~?

Can you give me the good oil on Sturdy's Traction vs Speed direction ?~? I mounted my UST Sturdy's on traction and dig it so far. Curious as to why they bothered dual marking.

UST + Stans = Nirvana

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    FM

Sounds about good for your weight.

Go out, ride it... If you use all the travel with no harsh bottom out on the sickest things you have around, then you're golden.

If you're not using full travel, take out a few ml's out of the ETA side with a syringe... until you get it spot on.

Just beware!! Too little oil on the ETA side and the ETA will not lockdown!
    Check my Site

"El Whatever"
    FM... the only thing that comes to my mind when I see your bike is "LUST"

Dang, it's gorgeous!
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    FM

Can you give me the good oil on Sturdy's Traction vs Speed direction ?~? I mounted my UST Sturdy's on traction and dig it so far. Curious as to why they bothered dual marking.

UST + Stans = Nirvana
    yeah I went exactly per Warps reccomendations. 40cc in the TST leg, the other leg I filled until the oil was 50mm below the threads in the crown (no spring, rod pushed fully into fork). I haven't ridden it off road since the oil change but it feels great in my yard.

PS, Warp- I have the photos for you, but have temporarily misplaced the cable I need to DL them off my older digi cam. Sorry- I'll get them to you soon enough....

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Those cranks and bash look great FM!

Sweet red accents!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    yeah I went exactly per Warps reccomendations. 40cc in the TST leg, the other leg I filled until the oil was 50mm below the threads in the crown (no spring, rod pushed fully into fork). I haven't ridden it off road since the oil change but it feels great in my yard.
    Marzocchi was consulted and 175/50 was the shot after discussions. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable . I was just wondering what volumes you used...

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Sounds about good for your weight.
    Go out, ride it... If you use all the travel with no harsh bottom out on the sickest things you have around, then you're golden.
    It takes quite a bit more effort to use the travel now and reacts way better in the rough at speed. TST air pressures are half of what I used before. It's feels very different than stock but I think it's very close to spot on for my needs, and it has really changed the character of the fork for me (for the better). Just a simple bit of oil tuning !~!

"El Whatever"
    Marzocchi was consulted and 175/50 was the shot after discussions. They were extremely helpful and knowledgeable . I was just wondering what volumes you used...

It takes quite a bit more effort to use the travel now and reacts way better in the rough at speed. TST air pressures are half of what I used before. It's feels very different than stock but I think it's very close to spot on for my needs, and it has really changed the character of the fork for me (for the better). Just a simple bit of oil tuning !~!
    Yeah... I guess I stated before. This fork is specially sensitive to tuning. It's kinda hard to find the sweet spot, but once you get there... man, this thing is sweet!!

Never think you got the most out of your Zoke until you make the first oil change. Never. These beasts get better after break-in and fresh oil.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Yeah... I guess I stated before. This fork is specially sensitive to tuning. It's kinda hard to find the sweet spot, but once you get there... man, this thing is sweet!!

Never think you got the most out of your Zoke until you make the first oil change. Never. These beasts get better after break-in and fresh oil.
    Yeah, one of the doods I ride with said he just changed his Z1 oil and could not believe how much better it was.

FM
    luxatio erecta

UST + Stans = Nirvana
    I never pay any attention to the direction on the tire....

when you are looking down, I always have the chevron/arrow patters pointing forwards on the front tire. This creates a forward-facing scoop when you are braking, better braking performance. On the rear if you are looking down, I have the chevron/arrow patters pointing backwards. This creates a rearward-facing scoop when you are pedaling, better climbing performance.

I go with that set-up pretty much regardless of brand... not sure if it really makes a noticable difference...

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Wink FM made me do it !~!

Red is contagious.... 36t E13 with 22/32 rings (saving for a future 34t Blackspire)

AM's Moto-Flare :

(excuse the hose mess)
    Last edited by All Mountain; 09-20-2007 at 10:31 PM.

ಠ_ಠ
    FM

UST + Stans = Nirvana
    AM,

From what I understand, you should typically use the traction direction on the rear, and speed for the front.

Aaahhhh!!!

Red is contagious.... 36t E13 with 22/32 rings (saving for a future 34t Blackspire)

AM's Moto-Flare :

(excuse the hose mess)

I want one!!!!

"Its All Good"
    Looking good FM, that gives it a dash of colour, which is still the SH!T without looking busy................Now get busy on it...............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Go with the Red CK Hubs! It's the right thing to do!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominator13
    Go with the Red CK Hubs! It's the right thing to do!
    I already have black ones

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    AM,

From what I understand, you should typically use the traction direction on the rear, and speed for the front.
    I mounted them both traction. I saw traction arrows and by brain followed those arrows ...

From what FM and you say I need to turn my front around to speed direction . Then there is no plausible way the traction direction would be beneficial in the front.... but if the front brake bite gets any better speed than it already is with traction .

Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I want one!!!!

black, clear, orange, red, white ... pick your colour !~!

I always run medium cage D's. I kept the same chain length when I swapped XT for X9. The photo in my post below I didn't shorted the chain yet for the 2 ring setup, and took off 2 links after the photo. I could take another link off, but debating on whether to get the 34t now or wait for new chain and rear cluster. You don't even have to take the crank arms off to put one in... as the big ring slides off the crank arm. I did have to undo the small ring as the sleeve nut clashed with a tooth on the small ring. The shorter chain makes a world of difference and is why I always used medium cages. Now it's only better. With your speed you may want to consider at 24/36 front combo. I can use all 9 cogs in the 32 ring and use the biggest five on the 22 ring (almost the sixth but drags a bit on the bottom plate of the front D).

mtbr member
    May 2004

FM -- drilled out stops -- i need pics

FM,

give me some close ups of you your drilled out cable stops. I have been wanting to do this as well. Currently my bike looks similar to how All Mtn has his rear derailleur cable mounted.

Did you just drill out the stops on the seatstay? or did you also do the ones under the top tube? Currently I just zip tie the rear derailleur cable to the rear brake cable under the top tube.

more pic please. What size bit did you use?

thanks
    ed

locked - time out
    Quote Originally Posted by eman2
    FM,

give me some close ups of you your drilled out cable stops. I have been wanting to do this as well. Currently my bike looks similar to how All Mtn has his rear derailleur cable mounted.

Did you just drill out the stops on the seatstay? or did you also do the ones under the top tube? Currently I just zip tie the rear derailleur cable to the rear brake cable under the top tube.

more pic please. What size bit did you use?

thanks
    ed
    Yeah man, give up the goods. I'd like to see those pix as well!

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by the_colorado_kid
    Yeah man, give up the goods. I'd like to see those pix as well!
    hey guys- I'll try and take some pics but really there's nothing to it. I started out with a conical dremel bit but ended up using a 1/8" or so drill bit on the dremel, and just hogging out the closed side of the cable stops. I did the seastay only, and am using zip-ties to run all the cables underneath the top-tube. (I have my gravity dropper cable too). two tips:
    use some extra housing to test the fit as you go, and keep it tight to prevent the housing from moving around.
    wrap everything up in electrical tape to avoid paint damage, you can remove it when you are done.

the new cranks and overhauled fork&hub were great tonight- too bad about the front wheel.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    ... too bad about the front wheel.
    does it spin kinda funny now... if at all

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I forgot this photo with the front wheel on. Too lazy to cut brake lines...
    Last edited by All Mountain; 09-20-2007 at 10:31 PM.

I forgot this photo with the front wheel on. Too lazy to cut brake lines...

Looks good Mang!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast