mtbr member

More love for my Motolite

Made some upgrades to the ML2: PUSH'd my rear shock, put a 2.4 Rubber Queen on the front (way bigger than 2.4), a 2.4 Mountain King on the rear (way smaller than 2.4), and a new DT Swiss RWS skewer through the front hub.

All I can say is wow! The suspension now gobbles up the chop in mid stroke. Sections of trail that were normally jarring I found myself floating through, yet climbing and out of the saddle cranking is stiffer than before.

The Conty RQ in the front is absolutely confidence inspiring on the downhill, and grips like crazy through high speed turns. I carried way more speed with confidence through sections of trail that usually had me white knuckling.

Only one ride so far, more time in the saddle is necessary for full review, but honestly it feels like a different bike. I'll post again as I experiment with sag and hit varied levels of terrain.

mtbr member

Nice Changes

Sounds good E-beer. I hope to get my Motolite shock pushed-maybe next year.

mtbr member
    Yeah Wick, I was in the same boat last year...heard so many good things I told myself I would do it the next season. Really wish I hadn't waited now. Just got back from my second ride on the PUSH'd RP23...what a difference. You'll love it when you decide to go for it.

ಠ_ಠ
    what % sag are you using?

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Cool....

My ML shock and fork are going next week to PUSH. I'm glad to read you like what they've done because it's not cheap.

I weigh 215 lbs and my observation is that my RP3 blows thru the midstroke and wallowed deep in the travel when climbing at 30-25% sag. PP is virtually non-existant. Man, I hope they can help me out.

Regards,

EndUser
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    what % sag are you using?
    I'm running 30%.

Quote Originally Posted by enduser
    I weigh 215 lbs and my observation is that my RP3 blows thru the midstroke and wallowed deep in the travel when climbing at 30-25% sag. PP is virtually non-existant. Man, I hope they can help me out.
    Prior to PUSHing I found running at 30% was best but not great for midstroke, but it totally wallowed when climbing. 25% seemed just the opposite. Now at 30% it feels right everywhere. I have PP on 2, and first ride I switched on and off a little bit to test. Second ride I just left it open the whole time. I think now I'll only use the PP for extended fire road climbs or pavement.

ಠ_ಠ
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    My ML shock and fork are going next week to PUSH. I'm glad to read you like what they've done because it's not cheap.

Regards,

EndUser
    dude, you're gonna love it

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Good to hear

Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    dude, you're gonna love it
    After a long debate and throwing my leg over some new bikes, I decided to just keep riding the ML and I'm willing to be patient. Besides, the only new frame that has my fancy right now is the DW5-spot and I'm waiting to see Dave's second generation tweeks.... my next bike will more than likely be a multi-linkage frame.

The ML is still such sweet, sweet ride in comparison to some of the new offerings out there and I want a couple more seasons out of her. The Ole' ML is a proven class act for sure. When this is all over, I will have spent about $900 this off-season re-building and refurbishing my 2005 ML. I'm going to post some pictures of the old gal when she's done with her face-lift.

Regards,

EndUser

mtbr member
    I'm in the same boat EndUser. Seriously contemplated the new DW-Spot, but I'm not willing to go $5-6k deep on a first gen model. I *really* wanted to upgrade my '07 Talas RLC to the new Talas 15QR, but just can't justify the expense of fork, hub, wheel rebuild (think I'd be better making that upgrade with a new frame). The DW-Spot looks great, then I spent 40mins in a local shop going over the Scot Genius with the mechanic. I hadn't even considered it, but wow.

All that said, the changes I've made to my ML have rekindled my interest in the ML. So much in fact that I've stopped lurking in the Turner board, and now when I ride all I can think about is how much I love my ML (instead of what else I might move to).

Excepting the fork upgrade, I think I'm good with the exception of an adjustable seatpost. Only options for 27.2mm are Gravity Dropper, All Mountain Post, and Blacx. Until the Blacx came out I was pretty well set on the AMP...now I'm not so sure.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

We will be rewarded for.....

We will be rewarded for hanging on a little longer. The ML is still a viable alternate to the newest generation of bikes. Besides, a dialed in ML is just a blast to ride. They really do hold up to the test of time.

For me.... I'm willing to wait for a new trail bike and I have a Ti FatBike project that I just started which will eat about $4K out me this year. What ever you do.... don't go and ride one of these

http://akspokes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1195&page=3

..... and don't ride here.
    http://akspokes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1281

Regards,

EndUser