Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Monarch RT3 for El Guapo Dilemna

Successfully sold my RP23 off my 2010 EG so I can pick up a Monarch RT3. I can get the standard RT3 with a "mid tune" online for $225 (Universal Cycles w/ coupon) The PUSH version in $369. I'm wondering how much different the PUSH version could be? I've had PUSH shocks and forks before and I know they can do some good stuff to them, just wondering if its worth the extra $150?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hell yes, any rear shock that push touches is magic (well except for a push'd Monarch for a Rune).

Chris

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Successfully sold my RP23 off my 2010 EG so I can pick up a Monarch RT3. I can get the standard RT3 with a "mid tune" online for $225 (Universal Cycles w/ coupon) The PUSH version in $369. I'm wondering how much different the PUSH version could be? I've had PUSH shocks and forks before and I know they can do some good stuff to them, just wondering if its worth the extra $150?
    Yes. But chances are, if you get the stock RT3, you will probably end up getting it pushed eventually.

Dozer
    Why the RT3? Is it known to be better than the RP23? Was your RP23 Push'd?

mtbr member

Supposed to be the hot shock

Darren at PUSH said its the best air shock to date. Most oil volume, best compression circuit, he seems giddy about it. I thought I read somewhere that he also stated that a stock Monarch was better then a PUSHED RP 23. Sending my shock to PUSH ws an option but I wanted to try something different and new.

ಠ_ಠ
    maybe I'm missing something, but why not just ride it stock and get it push'd when it needs a service? it's not as if you're saving money by getting the shock from push directly, right?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Nice! how much are these RPs selling for?

mtbr member

Thats a possibility...

Right now PUSH doesnt offer the mods to the Monarch separately but its coming soon. The Monarch RT3 is $225-250 from Universal Cycles and you can use a 10% coupon. A new RP 23 is $400! Sold my old RP 23 on Ebay for $170. The Monarchs are also offered stock in three different tunes, low, mid, and high based on the leverage ratio. The ratio is right on the border between RS's suggested cut-off for the EG between low and mid, so I was going to go with the mid tune. Also got a new 2x10 X9 (with a XT 11-36 cassette/chain) w/ MRP XCG bashguard ordered up for the EG from BikerBob, christmas present to myself!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

New question here. curve

What is the rate/ratio for the upper and the lower rocker positions on El Guapo

mtbr member

Now I am confused

I figured the ratio to be 2.4 (travel/stroke) which puts it on the border between light and mid tune. I was going to go mid as it is supposedly more adjustable. According to that graphic there is only a light and firm tune for the 8.5"x2.5" although all three tunes are listed for the 8.5"x2.5" shock on the website.

mtbr member
    One of the wow factor for the EG is its climbing ability, I'll attribute part of that to the progressiveness of the leverage ratio... found some info similar to what I thought the other day.
    http://linkagedesign.blogspot.com/20...-el-guapo.html

You might want to factor that into consideration of which tune for the Monarch...

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Why not pick one up in the Titus store so its tuned for the eg? Only $223.

mtbr member

Actually considering that

Quote Originally Posted by kikoreta
    Why not pick one up in the Titus store so its tuned for the eg? Only $223.
    I've got a question out to Shiggy about which tune they are using and when they will be in stock, havent heard anything yet.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    I've got a question out to Shiggy about which tune they are using and when they will be in stock, havent heard anything yet.
    Craig, it is a custom tune, done by RS. Different for each Titus model. Do not think it can be directly equated to the aftermarket offerings.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member

Thanks Shiggy

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    Craig, it is a custom tune, done by RS. Different for each Titus model. Do not think it can be directly equated to the aftermarket offerings.
    Hopefully they didnt do a similar tune to the stock RP23 which was a low tune. Not enough mid stroke support, you had to run ridiculous air pressure to get the right sag. Shimming the can helped and allowed you to run lower pressure but it still wasnt optimal. Do you know if the shock comes with the reducers? I wentt ahead and ordered one, hopefully Rock Shox sends them to you soon!

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Hopefully they didnt do a similar tune to the stock RP23 which was a low tune. Not enough mid stroke support, you had to run ridiculous air pressure to get the right sag. Shimming the can helped and allowed you to run lower pressure but it still wasnt optimal. Do you know if the shock comes with the reducers? I wentt ahead and ordered one, hopefully Rock Shox sends them to you soon!
    I was told the RS tune will give "better" performance than the Fox. Other than that I can not comment.

Reducers? You mean for mounting? They should be ready to install.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The price for the RS seems so low compared to the Fox.. heck almost half price, so tempting to ditch the RP.

Custom tune doesn't mean a simple IPF change does it?

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I figured the ratio to be 2.4 (travel/stroke) which puts it on the border between light and mid tune.
    CRC have a great deal on the Monarch RC3 plus - High volume - Mid Reb/Mid comp shock, but wonder if this tune will be okay for my EG?.. or would a low comp suit better?

Rock Shox Monarch Plus RC3 High Volume Rear Shock 2011 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

Craigstr - I know you ended up with a push`d Monarch plus in the end after starting this thread, but did push mention anything about how a standard mid comp tuned Monarch would fair on the EG?

The RT3 i have now is just fine for trails, but just know it`s going to get out of it`s depth as soon as this rain stops

mtbr member
    I ended up with the stock mid tune rt3, it was really good for a stock shock. I think Chris ended up with the Push shock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Craigstr

Good to know. Any shortcommings with the stock mid tune?

mtbr member
    It would get hot on long downs but I never felt it fade, great shock if you are just trail riding, I'd get a coil or a monarch plus if I were doing more FR oriented riding.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Reading all of the fox bashing I have to speak. My experience is with the Titus RS on a FTM carbon. Very rough ride! RS tech support is 0. You have to go to your lbs and they send it to RS and they still do not custom tune. Replaced it with a rp23 and it rides like a dream. If you open the two shocks you will see the quality difference. Push totally guts the RS and puts in there own internals. Push has invested a lot of money making there own RS. In over 10 years using fox shocks and forks I have had 0 failures. I don't think we can say it for RS. I understand trying to save money and buying a Chinese RS. But to say RS is better? All shocks have to be tuned for the frame if you want best performance. I feel better now and I do not work for fox.

mtbr member
    Not Fox bashing at all, would be more bashing the choice of the tune for the El Guapo. The stock shock was just horrid, no need to repeat all the problems. The RS product was a good fix at a better price. I'm sure if you got a custom tunes RP23 for the EG it would work great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil_den View Post
    One of the wow factor for the EG is its climbing ability, I'll attribute part of that to the progressiveness of the leverage ratio... found some info similar to what I thought the other day.
    Linkage Design: Titus El Guapo

You might want to factor that into consideration of which tune for the Monarch...
    Could you cut and paste that info? I am in China this week and cannot access that site due to Chinese Firewall.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by brant View Post
    Could you cut and paste that info? I am in China this week and cannot access that site due to Chinese Firewall.
    Any translators out there?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast