mtbr member

Monarch IFP tinkering for the EG?

Has anyone changed the IFP pressure of the Monarch RT3 on the EG?

OK mine probably needs another few hours of riding to break in the seals and all before I could justify moretweaks.. But it seems interesting as the RS shocks seems to be the only ones that allows fine tuning of this adjustment without resorting to a full blown surgery of the shock.

mtbr member
    I think my RT3 is just about perfect, I'm running 150 psi (180 w/o gear) and using all but the last 1/4" of stroke. Feels almost coil like. What happened to the Dueler? I've had a bad experience so far with mine, got my new delirium and mounted up the shock and it started blowing oil out of the "L" compression adjuster, I sent it back to the canadian distributor who rebuilt it and it came back and was leaking in the box. It is now on its second trip back for repair.

mtbr member

What rebound setting are you on?

Dueler is pulling perfect duty, never happier. The RT3 is just getting tested now on the current EG..its meant for the light weight 1x9 build on the 2nd orange one (which is waiting for a new fork and a few small bits)

I remembered the setting you posted, accounting for 20lb diff in weight, set it to 135psi right after installing. Seals were probably stiff as the sag could never reach 30% till I drop it down to 115 psi but it bottoms out.

After a couple of hours ride, 30% was back at 135psi, havent bottom out but its right at the end of the travel (1/8" inch left at most) and all these is without any significant drops (but I did pull a few bunny hops at speed up/down some platforms/curbs to try and work the shock).

Maybe my coil (400lb) is a little on the soft side so with the RT3 it could never quite get that same feel. But it was the small bumps on the RT3 that's nagging me. Mid stroke and standing up to pedal was awesome though.

Havent been riding much recently as I'm training for a run event next week. But was reading on other forums where the Monarch IFP has been modded to get a better feel on the small bump.

That got me thinking as I "e.ride" my bike now and see if it has been tried on an EG

mtbr member
    I'm running the rebound 5 clicks open from full clockwise. I have found the small bump compliance to be great in the full open position and it is nice to be able to close it and have a really firm rear end. Hopefully the dueler comes back not leaking, I'm leaving for Whistler in two weeks and really want to try out that shock before I leave, been running the vivid on the delirium and so far it is much better then expected.

mtbr member
    Its a shame, hope yours comes back working fine. Both the one I had and the loaner Dueler before has been pretty consistent in the way things feel and settings are all within +/-3% or so for what I like. Only thing is the damper shaft needs to be really lubed well else it creaks bad in dry dusty conditions.

I ran 5 clicks from full clockwise too for the RT3... actually from a few that modded the IFP to a lower pressure using mid tuned shocks are closer to my weight...so there might be a correlation there. Seems like the mid tuned comes with a IFP pressure of ~250 psi by default from what is written so far.

SRAM produced a video on how to service the Monarch and it includes the IFP section as well.
    if just tweaking the IFP its just a matter of getting the correct adapter and re pump to a desired pressure.

mtbr member
    I cant really complain too much about the Dueler, they gave it to me to test but so far I've only got one ride. Its a very free flowing shock, it felt great. When I sent it back for the rebuild they actually were supposed to firm it up a bit by changing the shim stack and polishing the piston, I never got to ride it though. I watched that video cause I wanted to see how easy the air can service was, I've got no reason to tinker with the IFP at this point, I couldnt be much happier with that shock. Only thing I could compain about is that I have got some discoloration on the shaft, I dont think it is wear just the anodizing changing color?

mtbr member
    I've seen a few discoloration on RS shocks and forks... but they dont seem to affect performance.
    But yea I can understand, just about all my fork stanchions past and present are nicked or discolored from sea breeze on ferries or hanging them like these on uplift trucks