mtbr member

Are ML's going away?

I see all these blowouts on 'em and no mention of a next years model.
    Nobody cares...........

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    From what I understand, they have been replaced by the FTM.

"El Whatever"
    Yeah... most probably replaced entirely by the FTM... Though, I don't know if for all the price range as the ML is sold from a lower pricepoint as a whole bike.

That, and Titus has been having blowouts the last three years and not to mention this year.. but this year it has not been Titus alone.
    Check my Site

Off the back...
    With trends the way they are, there's really not much call for a 5" bike that can be converted to 4". For 4" travel, buy a Racer-X. For 5" get a FTM, for 6" get an El Guapo. I'll probably sell my ML II after this season and get an EG on spring blowout unless the 2010 frame is dramatically better.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    What about if you want ONE bike that is very good at both.
    I totally disagree with the comment above (no offence).
    I believe you are far better having a fantastic build on ONE bike than going middle on two!
    So the ML will stay in my stable as I race it in 4" but ride it in 5" mode.
    Awesome bike for XC/Trail and that trend I believe will be around for 90% of MTBkers for a while yet.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by VTgrinder
    I believe you are far better having a fantastic build on ONE bike than going middle on two!
    Awesome bike for XC/Trail and that trend I believe will be around for 90% of MTBkers for a while yet.
    Just curious as to how different the ML feels at 4". Like 5" with a light propedal, or is it totally different? Also, if you have an adjustable fork, do you keep the travel short there as well?

Thanks

mtbr member
    re. 4" vs 5" travel

I really don't bother with the 4" setting very often, but it seems to behave a little firmer, much like the PP1 setting in 5" mode. I don't think it changes the geometry, so you can still run the fork at whatever setting you like. I did find that a 110-120mm setting in front with the 4" rear gave a decidedly racy feel to the bike (especially with PP set to 1 or 2). Great for endurance style racing, I suspect.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    My understanding is the 4" setting on the motolite changes the loading ratio on the shock to give it a firmer feel. The starting point is still the same either with 4" or 5" so it should not affect the fork setting except that you will get less sag. Personally I have never used the 4" setting.

I had heard that they were going the keep the Motolite as a lower cost alternative to the FTM even though they have a lot of overlap. If they are still selling them and making $ why get rid of the ML.
    Chet

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chet3
    I had heard that they were going the keep the Motolite as a lower cost alternative to the FTM even though they have a lot of overlap. If they are still selling them and making $ why get rid of the ML.

Exactly, and even if they just continue to clear out the remaining Motolites at great prices (someone quoted Colorado cyclist as having them for $600 the other day!!), why buy an FTM for 3-4x the price? Personally, I'm not sure I'd notice >$1000 in improvement going from the ML to the FTM. I am biased however - I really like my ML2, don't intend for it to "go away" for a few years.

Off the back...
    Quote Originally Posted by VTgrinder
    No offence taken. I think it comes down to what you want to use the bike for. I got the MLII because it was 5" travel, a Horst pivot and was light, not because it can be switched between two travel settings. If I raced, I'd probably just add a Racer-X to the stable, since the setup for the two bikes would be so different. I don't think I would run 2.4" tires and a 160mm fork on a XC race bike, but that's what is on my MLII for my regular rides.

Trying to get the one bike to do dual duty would make it suck for one type of riding or maybe even both - it's a compromise that I wouldn't be willing to make. Of course, if the trails you race on are the same ones you do your recreational riding on, then it makes more sense.