Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ML vs EL G

I wear white socks
    Apr 2007

ML vs EL G

I thought about continuing the fired up thread, but decided it may be better to just start a new one.

I am in the process of purchasing a new bike. My old bike has treated me well, but my main problem is that is just too small for me. I am starting to get pains in my back, shoulders, etc. I had narrowed it down to a few with the ML being at the top of my list. I did the Comp Cyclist rental for a week (Large #42) and took it everywhere I could (Oak Mtn., Swayback Bridge, Hurrican Creek, trails around my house) to try to get a feel for the bike. After the end of the Demo I was sold, so much so that I almost despise riding my current bike now after knowing what I could be on. I was expecting a marshmallow feel moving from a 3” bike to a 5” bike (as I have experienced with some of my buddies bikes) but was blown away by the solid feel and I actually looked to make sure the center shock was not locked out.

This bike seemed to handle everything I would normally have access to ride with ease, so I have been waiting for Titus to get back to me with a custom size. They just got back and now I am reading Whafe’s posts how he would buy the El G over the ML in a heartbeat. I don’t even pretend to be as skilled a rider as he, but should I be looking at the El G instead?

First I would like to say that I love flying through the winding singletrack so handling is very important to me and currently I do not see myself doing anything much over 4’ drops. There is no point to buying more bike than I need, but if this bike handles just as well with a minimum of weight difference I would like to know. I would like to know the differences in weight (really the frame and shocks as the rest of the bike can be set up about the same) if anyone has been able to weigh one.

This should get things started, I will provide more info as needed.

Thanks,
    Chris

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandals
    I would like to know the differences in weight
    Thanks,
    Chris
    I haven't weighed one, but the difference is equal or less than a full pound.

The ML sits at 6.2-6.5 pounds (I'm positive under 6.5#), while the EG sits at slightly over 7#.
    Check my Site

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

The ML sits at 6.2-6.5 pounds (I'm positive under 6.5#), while the EG sits at slightly over 7#.
    all I can figure is that the frame weight changes a lot from Size to Size. my guapo (large, painted) was mid seven pounds without a shock. its over 8 with a shock.

Ti is addictive
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp

Uhmm, I like its like over a pound and a half if you are comparing ML2 vs EG.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

"Its All Good"
    Sandals = you are indeed in a predicament.... As I said, if I was going to buy a new bike right now, it would be an EL G, that is not a flippant comment by me either. I have a very very cool, in all aspects ExoGrid ML.

Some weeks ago I was really in a bind and all tense and stressed which is really dumb as to why people are building really light 6 inch travel bikes... Still am a little perplexed.... Best case and you may have read the post was re FM, he sold his ML and purchased a Turner RFX, he also owns a HighLine. The RFX has 0.7 inch less travel than the HL, I was thinking sheesh, why is FM getting a bike so close to the HL and he was building it quite light for his main AM bike to trail ride.....

After having the weekend on the El G, my thoughts are more clear to me. I can understand FM's logic far more... Kind of a shame that FM didnt get the chance to thrash an EL G, before making his purchase, anyways, he is a happy camper and that what is most important....

So leads me to thinking... A weekend on an EL G, the bike pedals as well as my ML, cannot really tell it is 3 pounds heavier, climbs fantastic. By this I dont mean like when you hear people say, oh yeah my VP Free, Uzzi etc etc pedals ok. (They could be bad examples, am not comparing the EL G to these bikes, meaning the drift of climbing) But the EL G climbs like a AM ride, with ease.... Has a slack HA, which id great when the nose is pointed down hill, a 160 mm fork, the bike does nto at all get light in the front when climbing. Has a great feel in the cockpit for me, I really felt in the bike...

I am digressing..... Am not at all trying to sell you an El G..... I am saying, really consider the El G in your search, it may even be worth while contacting Ryan at Competitive Cyclist and demo an EL G, he may even put the credit of your ML demo and El G demo together if you buy a frame still......

Let us knwo your plans, be keen to hear which way you go.....

All I can say is roll on a Ti El G, someone can then buy my ExoGrid ML and I will be happy... Sorry Ti, do not wish to build the ML into a light XC speed demon.... Getting too many bikes in the stable..

So "Its All Good" "Todo Bien"..
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    I'll be demo'ing the El Guapo in a week or so, and currently have owned a Ti ML for a long enough while to know the bike well. I'll be sure to input my feelings into this thread. I am in the same boat as you- never more than 4' drops, mostly rocky rooty ST with the occasional shuttle run every month or so. So far, the moto has performed well beyond my expectations, but I want to keep an open mind on the new "big bike" offering from the boys in AZ.

"Its All Good"
    G Duke, look forward to your thoughts, helps me evaluate if I am crazy or not..... Which I need to do regularily..... Am like you, but was blown out by this El G puppy....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

the 36 year old grom
    Whafe,
    I think El Guapo is crack for ML riders.... the bikes compliment each other so well. When I was running my SuMo and My ML, I was never able to find a riding style that worked for both bikes, the transition from riding one to the other was always a tiny bit awakward. the geomtry was just different.
    So don't toss your ML yet, they work great as a pair. it still does some things better then the guapo. The guapo pedals good but its not as good as the ML. the first 2 weeks I had the guapo, I was feeling the same as you. I even started doing all my hillclimb training on it , but my buddies talked some sense into me, I was going to ride the guapo in the downieville XC and then DH race with it on sunday. But, I did the XC on the ML and it rocked my world.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    Whafe,
    I think El Guapo is crack for ML riders.... the bikes compliment each other so well. When I was running my SuMo and My ML, I was never able to find a riding style that worked for both bikes, the transition from riding one to the other was always a tiny bit awakward. the geomtry was just different.
    So don't toss your ML yet, they work great as a pair. it still does some things better then the guapo. The guapo pedals good but its not as good as the ML. the first 2 weeks I had the guapo, I was feeling the same as you. I even started doing all my hillclimb training on it , but my buddies talked some sense into me, I was going to ride the guapo in the downieville XC and then DH race with it on sunday. But, I did the XC on the ML and it rocked my world.
    mmmmmm demo, like normal, you speak some wisdom. I could well just have a whole heap of wood in my life....

It will be interesting to ride the ML again... I guess my long post above I was trying to state that having 6 inches and adaptable is a great thing...If I could only have one bike, it would be an El G, for my styles though.....

Interesting times having the El G come on the scene....

I wear white socks
    Apr 2007
    Golfduke - If you are going to demo one very soon I may wait and get one more opinion.

Whafe - I would like to hear an update after riding your ML again. However I know how I thought I would feel about my old bike after the ML and that did not change much after riding it.

I appreciate everyone's feedback, And I am currently leaning more toward the ML as I believe the El G may be more bike than I need. 90% of my riding would be more XC than AM (Well, I consider it XC) so I am pretty sure 5" of travel is plenty. However if the extra travel only comes with a 1.5 lb weight penalty it would be really nice to know it is there if I ever needed it.

I am a bit of a weight weenie as far as wanting a light bike. Otherwise the El G would probably be a no brainer. I feel I can easily build a sub 28lb ML (I am looking to drop about a pound off of what my current bike weighs). I can feel a 2lb difference between my bike and one of my riding buddies' bikes (especially on the longer rides) and of course the lighter bike is easier to throw around.

Currently I was quoted 8-10 Weeks on the ML, so i wouln't have it till the end of September anyway. Waiting another week or two before I decide is not really a big deal.

thats right living legend
    You'll love owning the ML. Even though you already demoed from CC so it prob won't matter to you Cahaba Cycles has plenty of Moto-Lites in all sizes.

Also if your planing on waiting that long anyway Titus will be at Oak Mnt Aug 18, so you can demo an EG just in case.

You'd easily be able to build up a ML to 26 lb's if ya wanted too.

this account retired
    aren't both horst link pivots? If so, both will be very flexy. i would look at a better design if you care about stiffness of the frame. if it does not matter to you then either will be a fair bike.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Part Deux
    aren't both horst link pivots? If so, both will be very flexy. i would look at a better design if you care about stiffness of the frame. if it does not matter to you then either will be a fair bike.
    Agghhh Faux..... You know that the rare on a Titus is stiffer than a honeymooners choppa... It needs no more dicussion.....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You're right... go 29 and get Aqua Air Time !~!

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Agghhh Faux..... You know that the rare on a Titus is stiffer than a honeymooners choppa... It needs no more dicussion.....
    I'll give you stiff

I wear white socks
    Apr 2007
    BA - I am working with Cahaba Cycles on this. I asked them about a demo and they said they couldn't do it so I got one where I could. I didn't want to get a bike without really riding it. Parking lot riding doesn't exactly give you a feel for a bike.

I don't want to take anything away from Comp Cyclist as their demo really sold me on the ML. They did have decent components on the bike and I was quite supprised on how smooth their demo program was. If I was not already working with Cahaba, I would have definately bought from them.

FPD - Apparantly I have never ridden a stiff frame bike because the titus blew me away for how solid it felt.

this account retired
    BA - I am working with Cahaba Cycles on this. I asked them about a demo and they said they couldn't do it so I got one where I could. I didn't want to get a bike without really riding it. Parking lot riding doesn't exactly give you a feel for a bike.

I don't want to take anything away from Comp Cyclist as their demo really sold me on the ML. They did have decent components on the bike and I was quite supprised on how smooth their demo program was. If I was not already working with Cahaba, I would have definately bought from them.

FPD - Apparantly I have never ridden a stiff frame bike because the titus blew me away for how solid it felt.
    i was joshing.....Titus makes great bikes. Not that I own one.....yet

"Its All Good"
    Sandals - You will learn the ways of Faux, that was a term of endearment re the Titus..... Faux knows he wants a Titus Ti 29er SS... So its all good............

Good deal!

and don't worry Titus bike are well known/legendary for their stiffness. Faux just knows right where to hit.

cause he's a penis.

this account retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Sandals - You will learn the ways of Faux, that was a term of endearment re the Titus..... Faux knows he wants a Titus Ti 29er SS... So its all good............
    the current plan calls more likely for a 29er FS.....where under Plan A, a Racer X would be in the running....

Bike to the Bone...
    Wrong on this frame (the ML). HL tends to be flexier, so builders need to take that into consideration when designing and building a frame. Titus did it right. It is very lateraly stiff, no doubt to me about it. And I'm like 230 lbs plus gear (and I don't carry a light backpack), and not the smoothest guy out there, and it's amazing.

I don't buy only on the rear design and judge everything by it. Oh.. it's a superduperpivots, so it must be this.. or that. Each particular bike design and manufacture is different.

It might not be as stiff as a Ventana (I haven't ridden one, and I don't like to talk about something I haven't tried yet), but at least my ML it is very, very good in that regard.

Edit:
    Faux, as usual, sometimes I don't read the entire posts before I open my mouth.... alls good

mtbr member
    Sandals I am demoing the Guap in some local trail next Weds. I'll be sure to throw my thoughts into the mix in order to help. It sounds like your riding style fits the ML perfectly though, just from my computer chair analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by golfduke
    Sandals I am demoing the Guap in some local trail next Weds. I'll be sure to throw my thoughts into the mix in order to help. It sounds like your riding style fits the ML perfectly though, just from my computer chair analysis.

Are you ready to lay it down n the Guap?

mtbr member
    Tminus 6 days... I'm gonna pound that thing like a fat kid on a cupcake. I'm a little afraid though, if I come home with another frame, wifey is gonna be sleeping with the pool boy while her lawyers serve me divorce papers.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by golfduke
    Tminus 6 days... I'm gonna pound that thing like a fat kid on a cupcake. I'm a little afraid though, if I come home with another frame, wifey is gonna be sleeping with the pool boy while her lawyers serve me divorce papers.
    Been there done that, beat like it wants to be beaten..

Know that feeling well with the wifey...

I had that problem, the enjoyment of the demo ride, causes many other problems....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast