Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

ML from Stumpy FSR

just curious if any of you ML riders came from or currently also ride a Stumpy FSR, and what your thoughts are on both bikes. these two are at the top of my list for a new aggro XC bike, and i really like both, just trying to get some more insight from people with considerably more saddle time. thanks

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Do it now...you will never regret it.

I went from a 2004 S-Works enduro to a Motolite and the difference is incredible:

- The ML climbs better
    - The ML descends better
    - The ML is far stiffer
    - The ML suspension is plusher
    - The head angle is slacker making it more confidence inspiring on the descent. You may need to adjust your technique slightly on steel climbs due to the slacker head angle, but it took me all of 5 mins.

The stiffness and efficiency of the suspension really make this thing climb like a mountain goat and descend like a greased weasel.

Nothing bad yet.

MTB'er
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey74
    I went from a 2004 S-Works enduro to a Motolite and the difference is incredible:
    I think the comparison is between Stumpy FSR vs. MotoLite, not the Enduro...
    "I will not relent"

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by salimoneus
    just curious if any of you ML riders came from or currently also ride a Stumpy FSR, and what your thoughts are on both bikes. these two are at the top of my list for a new aggro XC bike, and i really like both, just trying to get some more insight from people with considerably more saddle time. thanks
    I went from a 04 Stumpy FSR to a 05 Moto Lite. The Stumpy was 4", so it might have changed a bit (120 vs 100 mm travel). I just think that the ML is plain better, more responsive, to the Stumpy, but both are really good.

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by blatido

Yeah I am curious on this topic as well as I currently ride a 05 Stumpy FSR expert. I like the bike alot, dont get me wrong but kinda want something more plush for rocky descents etc. but light enough for XC too. Not sure if the difference is great enough to warrant a change in bike.

thats right living legend

From what I can recall an 04 Enduro would be a very good comparison to a ML. Whichever, the ML would be supirieor in evey way particularly stiffness.

But the Spec has a great warrenty, and thier bikes are very good.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman69
    Not sure if the difference is great enough to warrant a change in bike.
    That's very subjective, bro.... I'd say the ML is clearly superior. But if that makes a significative difference to support the purchase, that's another ticket.

I would say that you'd have to test ride. OTOH, if ain't broke, don't fix it! If you feel fine with the bike and find it hard to give the cash away; then your best option is your current bike.
    Check my Site

Weapon of Choice

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That's very subjective, bro.... I'd say the ML is clearly superior. But if that makes a significative difference to support the purchase, that's another ticket.

I would say that you'd have to test ride. OTOH, if ain't broke, don't fix it! If you feel fine with the bike and find it hard to give the cash away; then your best option is your current bike.
    I hear what you are saying but have you ridden both types of bikes to form the opinion? the geometry of both look very similar. similar if not same travel and all. I just need more specifics to sway me to the Titus side. I know a test ride would be the best way to form my own opinion; but no bike store in my area carrys Titus demo. Trust me I WANT to believe the hype. Just would appreciate specifics to why it is superior from someone who has ridden both. Thanks

"El Whatever"
    I hear what you are saying but have you ridden both types of bikes to form the opinion? the geometry of both look very similar. similar if not same travel and all. I just need more specifics to sway me to the Titus side. I know a test ride would be the best way to form my own opinion; but no bike store in my area carrys Titus demo. Trust me I WANT to believe the hype. Just would appreciate specifics to why it is superior from someone who has ridden both. Thanks
    No.... I have not ridden both. I'm on a Switchblade and being on a ML for a very short stretch.

I've just read what you've read here and seen them both in the flesh. I also share trail time with Rzoz, who indeed has ridden the ML and the '04 Stumpy.

But the point of my post was the opposite to what you understood (maybe my redaction was not that clear, sorry; english is not my mother language).

In layman terms... You don't have to believe the hype (especially if you don't want to). And hype is relative to each person. While for some people (like Rzoz, who had both bikes) it'll be worthy, for others it won't.

In geometry... similar is not equal. For instance, the ML is a bit longer in TT and has a higher BB. Both of them account for significant differences in feel (note that I'm not even considering wheelbase and chainstay lenght).

I'm not trying to uninformedly sway you to a Titus. However, from seeing both bikes in the flesh (as subjective as it may be), I dare to say the ML is better. The Stumpy is a great bike, btw.
    Last edited by Warp; 08-16-2006 at 02:42 PM. Reason: correction
    Check my Site

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    No.... I have not ridden both. I'm on a Switchblade and being on a ML for a very short stretch.

I've just read what you've read here and seen them both in the flesh. I also share trail time with Rzoz, who indeed has ridden the ML and the '04 Stumpy.

But the point of my post was the opposite to what you understood (maybe my redaction was not that clear, sorry; english is not my mother language).

In layman terms... You don't have to believe the hype (especially if you don't want to). And hype is relative to each person. While for some people (like Rzoz, who had both bikes) it'll be worthy, for others it won't.

In geometry... similar is not equal. For instance, the ML is a bit longer in TT and has a higher BB. Both of them account for significant differences in feel (note that I'm not even considering wheelbase and chainstay lenght).

I'm not trying to uninformedly sway you to a Titus. However, from seeing both bikes in the flesh (as subjective as it may be), I dare to say the ML is better. The Stumpy is a great bike, btw.

I appreciate your input, so many suspension bike choices out there, gotta respect the feedback. Gracias

"El Whatever"
    I appreciate your input, so many suspension bike choices out there, gotta respect the feedback. Gracias
    Nothing to thank for, Bro. Au contraire, sorry for not being helpful.

Yeah... choosing a bike is harder and harder each day. Too many choices, too many things to look after... as Blackagness said, Specialized's Warranty is an attractive one. The ML is arguably one of the best "bang-for-the-buck" options... phew! That's a tough call!
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I considered the stumpy when I was shopping for an XC bike, but lack of tire clearance ruled it out early on. I also wanted to avoid an interrupted seat tube since I do like to drop my saddle- although these days you can put a GD seatpost on any frame and work around that.

The motolite is really really good!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I am well aware of what the comparison is. I was just adding my own experience of switching from one bike with a similar suspension set-up to the Stumpy FSR, albeit with more travel; to the ML.

The fact that the Enduro is a longer travel, all round burlier bike than the stumpy will hopefully give the guy an impression of the style of bike that the ML is.

IMO the ML is more comparable to the 2004 Enduro than the Stumpy.

Quote Originally Posted by mikey74

IMO the ML is more comparable to the 2004 Enduro than the Stumpy.

Very true...
    Last edited by blackagness; 08-17-2006 at 07:26 AM.

B2
    I sold my 04 S works epic and had no bike for a while.I wanted to buy a long travel bike that I could race once in a while. In the interm I was ridding my sons 05 fsr expert. That bike got me hooked on 5" travel bikes. I work in the industry and can get a deal on almost any brand. I rode them all, Yetti, santa cruiz, Specialized, c-dale, giant, Elsworth. I chose the moto light. The FSR is nice, And more plush, But cant climb as well as the titus and is not a stiff and does not handle as quick. The fsr seemed sluggish on excelleration as well.
    I ride most of the time in 5" mode but just did the Leadville trail 100 in 4" front and rear. The bike was great, NO complaints from me. I live in the rockies where every trail is steep up or steep down. this bike is perfect here.
    Also the stump just isnt holding up as well. After two seasons of ridding we are getting more flex and creeking than we should. I know my son is going to buy a new bike next season. I also know it wont be a moto-lite, he is a rebel. It looks like he is going for the Elsworth Epiphony or moment.
    Last edited by b2b2; 08-17-2006 at 07:51 PM.

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedbacks, definitely helpful and good to hear others echo some of my own thoughts.

i honestly could not make out any major distinctions between the two, although the ML did seem stiffer and a slightly better tech climber, and the stumpy did feel more plush at times, but the difference to me was so small that it could even be attributed to size/setup issues, very close all around.

although i don't recall there being anything sluggish about the stumpy and haven't heard that before

the lifetime warranty is really nice, and it's hard to beat the spesh service which i have experience with, but im sure Titus service is pretty solid as well. this is a tough one...

thanks for the feedbacks, definitely helpful and good to hear others echo some of my own thoughts.

i honestly could not make out any major distinctions between the two, although the ML did seem stiffer and a slightly better tech climber, and the stumpy did feel more plush at times, but the difference to me was so small that it could even be attributed to size/setup issues, very close all around.

although i don't recall there being anything sluggish about the stumpy and haven't heard that before

the lifetime warranty is really nice, and it's hard to beat the spesh service which i have experience with, but im sure Titus service is pretty solid as well. this is a tough one...

I've ridden a Stumpy several times, and to me the performance diffrence was huge in every single way, in favor of the ML. But if that's all your getting out of the diffrence between the two, than I'd stick with the stumpy.

I guess others could disagree, but depending on your build I see the ML more as an AM bike, while the Stump's more trail XC. But hey, that's just me...

mtbr member
    seems to me that they both fall into that in-between XC/AM category no? regardless, i think labels are pretty useless, 5" of travel is 5" of travel

Weapon of Choice
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I've ridden a Stumpy several times, and to me the performance diffrence was huge in every single way, in favor of the ML. But if that's all your getting out of the diffrence between the two, than I'd stick with the stumpy.

I guess others could disagree, but depending on your build I see the ML more as an AM bike, while the Stump's more trail XC. But hey, that's just me...

Just curious what is the max size travel fork you can put on the Motolite??

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Just remember human nature.

When people have just plunked down quite a bit of cash for a "botique" bike they generally want to justify the money, so they tend to over dramatize the differences, and to bash the mainstream brands. Just my opinion, but I think it's accurate. I see this all the time on the Titus/Turner/Ventana boards.

That being said, I do think the Titus will have the edge in terms of stiffness and durability. They make some of the best bikes out there.

Dave

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Just curious what is the max size travel fork you can put on the Motolite??
    They approve up to 140mm on the motolite.

a2c of 530 feels good to me.....marzocchi AM series adjusted to 140mm travel...

seems to me that they both fall into that in-between XC/AM category no? regardless, i think labels are pretty useless, 5" of travel is 5" of travel

I've been meaning to get back to this. You couldn't be more wrong. Like the first Turner RFX, if I'm not mistaken was a 5" bike, intended for FR use. There are many other factors besides travel. Such as Wieght, geomatry, wheelbase, strength just to name a few.

Would you put the "around" 5" Transition BottleRocket, or 4-5" Prestone in the same catagory with the ML... NO! Those are full on FR bikes.

So in answer to your Q a 5" bike is not a 5" bike...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    When people have just plunked down quite a bit of cash for a "botique" bike they generally want to justify the money, so they tend to over dramatize the differences, and to bash the mainstream brands. Just my opinion, but I think it's accurate. I see this all the time on the Titus/Turner/Ventana boards.

That being said, I do think the Titus will have the edge in terms of stiffness and durability. They make some of the best bikes out there.

Dave
    Yea I'm fairly new to some of the botiuque forums, but that assessment seems accurate from what I can tell so far

Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong

Dave

You can say that all day long, and it still won't make it true.

My first 5" travel trail bike was a GF Cake I paid 1500 for. Which to me wether it's 1500 or 3000, it's all the same to me... ALOT!!! I wanted to like that bike from day one, but I never did. And I'd just dropped 1500 dollors!!!!

I certanly diden't and wouldn't have recomeneded that bike to anyone. The Moto-Lite I have now??? I can't recomend enough...

Does what you say have any truth to it... mabye. But not for me.

ಠ_ಠ
    ...but, in this case these frames are about the same weight, and their designed applications are the same; which is a bit too heavy and slack angled for pro-class racing, a bit light and steep angled for all big jumps and drops.

No doubt these bike frames fall into the same category regardless of travel.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast