"El Whatever"

ML in Solo Bici's Enduro Shoot-Out, Spain.

#179 of this publication.

Dated somewhere march 2006. Sorry, I just got the mag. It just hit the newsstands here in Mexico.

They tested 25 Enduro bikes (yeah, the Spesh Enduro is there also, but they tested 25 different bikes).

They gave props to the ML against bikes like the Blur LT, Ventana X-5, Spesh Enduro, etc.

They said the ML was a winning combination due to weight, performance and price.

More to follow, but it'll take me time. It's in Spanish and I would have to translate even if I get to post a scan.
    Check my Site

thats right living legend

Baited Breath!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Warp

Dated somewhere march 2006. Sorry, I just got the mag. It just hit the newsstands here in Mexico.

They tested 25 Enduro bikes (yeah, the Spesh Enduro is there also, but they tested 25 different bikes).

They gave props to the ML against !bikes like the Blur LT, Ventana X-5, Spesh Enduro, etc.

They said the ML was a winning combination due to weight, performance and price.

More to follow, but it'll take me time. It's in Spanish and I would have to translate even if I get to post a scan.

Wow Warp! Talk about going above, and beyond.

I can't waite...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just post the scans! Maybe someone will beat you to the translating and save you the work. And if they don't I can still read it.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicider
    Just post the scans! Maybe someone will beat you to the translating and save you the work. And if they don't I can still read it.
    LOL!!! You selfish one...

I'll do tomorrow!
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    LOL!!! You selfish one...

I'll do tomorrow!
    This is just another useless thread without scans....

Eyes:blue. Knuckles:white

They gave props to the ML against bikes like the Blur LT, Ventana X-5, Spesh Enduro, etc.

Hey Warp,

Que tal?

I saw this post a few days ago and I'm intrigued to know what Solo Bici had to say about the ML. Have you got round to posting scans yet? As a member of the World's most ignorant nation (British people are really bad when it comes to learning other languages), I'd love to see the original review, if only to learn a bit more Spanish and hopefully to confirm what we already know about Titus bikes.

Incidentally, I was in Bolivia recently. You guys in Latin America really should get yourselves down there and bike the Taquesi trail - two hours up and then two days down

Los burros es bueno pero vaya con Titus,

Stuartie
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Dont bother translating. A lot of us have a cursory understanding of Spanish -
    enough to understand most of it anyway. Just give us the straight poop !
    I looked on their website and couldnt find link to older issues.
    That was the March issue, you said ?

thats right living legend

Huh???

Quote Originally Posted by coati
    Dont bother translating. A lot of us have a cursory understanding of Spanish -
    enough to understand most of it anyway. Just give us the straight poop !
    I looked on their website and couldnt find link to older issues.
    That was the March issue, you said ?

Just who's us??? Might wanta go plural on that one...

Edit: Am I drunk?... YES! That would be singular...
    Last edited by blackagness; 09-01-2006 at 10:38 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

I´ve got it

¡¡ Hi ¡¡

Saludos desde España ( Greetings from Spain ), yes I´ve got all the SOLO BICI magazines, ( just give me a little time to find that number and I´ll scan it), I remember that a few issues they gave a full review to the Racer X.

"Its All Good"
    well blow me down, am yet to see a ML in Spain, I am a loner here for sure. Seen a load of riders out and about. The look dumb founded when they see mine.............Must be a freak....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Hc
    ¡¡ Hi ¡¡

Saludos desde España ( Greetings from Spain ), yes I´ve got all the SOLO BICI magazines, ( just give me a little time to find that number and I´ll scan it), I remember that a few issues they gave a full review to the Racer X.
    Hi Max!

It'd be nice if you can scan it... I don't have a scanner and I have had a hard time finding some time at the office to use the scanner.

I guess the Solo Bici review on the R-X is on Titus site, but not the one of the ML.

Many thanks and welcome!
    Saludos desde Mexico!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Oops, wrong reply (it was supposed to go to another thread). Sorry!

mtbr member
    Aug 2005

Here it is ( full article )

I remembered last night that I´ve borrowed that issue to a friend, but here is the complete article ( the 25 bikes ).

Greetings from Spain.

Ooooops, here is the link ( check pages 43,44 & 48 ):

http://www.mondraker.com/esp/pdf/sol...uper%202005%22

Slicker
    Jun 2005
    Help I need a translator!! Looks like a good mag..

"El Whatever"
    I remembered last night that I´ve borrowed that issue to a friend, but here is the complete article ( the 25 bikes ).

Greetings from Spain.

Gracias!!!!!!
    Check my Site

Bike to the Bone...
    I just have a Q, how can they decide which are the real travel? They say you can adjust rear travel from 90 or 115 mm of real travel? How does that translate to 100-130? Or are they just saying the travel after sag? If they measure the travel after sag, then that's fine, I guess. But they don't measure the fork travel that way

Can it be that they actually somehow measure the bike still, and then compress it (and measure it)?

Also, they say that the rear stiffness has room to improve. They noticed a little pedal bob, but they're using a 5th element. I didn't noticed much using the RP3, and I haven't really had a chance to ride on smooth terrain with the DHX as to compare it.

Anyway, they say that it might be the best of the 25 tested bikes because of the wide area it encompass.

Eyes:blue. Knuckles:white

Greetings from Spain.

Excellent! Thank you...

My Spanish is very rudimentary so I haven't got past the "star ratings" yet, but the MotoLite has the most "cinco estrellas" - in 8 different criteria. Of the criteria where it scores less than 5, we have Tyres (no brainer!) and pedalling efficiency, but they have tested with a 5th Element shock - RP3 gives a very efficient ride unless it is set to soft.
    Frame stiffness also gets a 3 which is a surprise and 4 for both handling and stability (I think!), which could be down to personal setup so is rather more subjective.

OK, I'm off, necesito aprender mas Castellano.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Very good article, thank you. It was difficult to read the small print, but one of
    the things they noted was that the ML did the best job of following the terrain in
    all situations, which is what you would expect given the HL suspension.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I just have a Q, how can they decide which are the real travel? They say you can adjust rear travel from 90 or 115 mm of real travel? How does that translate to 100-130? Or are they just saying the travel after sag? If they measure the travel after sag, then that's fine, I guess. But they don't measure the fork travel that way

Can it be that they actually somehow measure the bike still, and then compress it (and measure it)?

Also, they say that the rear stiffness has room to improve. They noticed a little pedal bob, but they're using a 5th element. I didn't noticed much using the RP3, and I haven't really had a chance to ride on smooth terrain with the DHX as to compare it.

Anyway, they say that it might be the best of the 25 tested bikes because of the wide area it encompass.
    You can make a practical comparison if you want to find out.

Simply, put on the RP3. Measure the distance between the saddle rails and the wheel's axle. Then deflate the shock and measure the same distance again.

The difference between the two of them is the real wheel travel... or sort of, because the wheelpath is an arc and not a straight line. But in any case the difference is not night and day.

On the frame stiffness, I'm truly surprised...

The 5th Air set at strictly minimum IFP pressure (lowest possible SPV setting) pedals FIRMER than my '05 Fox Float R (like a RP3 set in the middle)... so the bob would have been even more with the Fox RP3.

The bob they may be noticing could be due to the HL making the bike too compliant to the terrain. It's kind of a drawback of the HL. It's very active for good or bad.

Moreover, the ML is a HL that shares a pivot point of a low-monopivot in the early travel... those ones bob lots too, but are very compliant to small bumps and pedaling input.

Anyway... the end result is the same. They rate the ML as the best overall of the 25 bikes tested. The performance/cost ratio is unbeatable.

Their way to measure stiffness is weird though... They do not mention that on the Ventana for example... which we know is arguably the stiffest of the bunch.

Maybe they were confusing tyre flex? The wheelset seems sound, but the Schwalbes I don't know.
    Check my Site

ಠ_ಠ
    Whoa! Very weird, the two areas I think the ML shines is in efficiency and stiffness...

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    Whoa! Very weird, the two areas I think the ML shines is in efficiency and stiffness...
    I must accept I like Solo Bici's reviews... they do not get carried away by the bling.

They also are hated by Fox Spain because they have stated several times the play in their bushings is way too much.

All in all, if they don't like something, they will simply say it.

Just one more thought.... Europeans rate bikea bit different to Americans. It's a broad and rough generalization, but it is. Just look at the pictures and see whant they do on "Enduro" (Light All Mountain over this side of the pond) bikes.

They tend to use less travel for the same things we do here. Or that is my personal perception.

For them what we call plush is bobbing and what we think is stiff and non compliant they think as of efficient.
    Check my Site

ಠ_ಠ
    That makes a lot of sense, thanks Warp.

Did you also notice that they had the travel wrong and the angles were very strange. It listed the ML as having a 67 degree HA. Whatever...

I wish I could just copy/paste the whole thing into google translator.

Is it possible that with the 5th it gets less travel??? Seems an odd mistake to make.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I must accept I like Solo Bici's reviews... they do not get carried away by the bling.

They also are hated by Fox Spain because they have stated several times the play in their bushings is way too much.

All in all, if they don't like something, they will simply say it.

Just one more thought.... Europeans rate bikea bit different to Americans. It's a broad and rough generalization, but it is. Just look at the pictures and see whant they do on "Enduro" (Light All Mountain over this side of the pond) bikes.

They tend to use less travel for the same things we do here. Or that is my personal perception.

For them what we call plush is bobbing and what we think is stiff and non compliant they think as of efficient.
    I noticed in their take on the blurLT that they thought the 5th element would
    have better utilized the VPP suspension than the Fox.
    They may have said something similar - about the 5th element working better
    on the ML, Im not sure though; I may have lost that part in the translation.
    I guess that means they dont like the Fox shocks very much, but I like reading
    a bike mag that isnt afraid to call it as they see it. I think too many of the
    American mags seem to think its their duty to help market products also

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by coati
    I noticed in their take on the blurLT that they thought the 5th element would
    have better utilized the VPP suspension than the Fox.
    They may have said something similar - about the 5th element working better
    on the ML, Im not sure though; I may have lost that part in the translation.
    I guess that means they dont like the Fox shocks very much, but I like reading
    a bike mag that isnt afraid to call it as they see it. I think too many of the
    American mags seem to think its their duty to help market products also
    No... they're saying that a 5th or RP3 would have been a more plush ride on the BLT than the Swinger it was mounted with. The Swinger was too stiff and almost impossible to bottom out.

I also enjoy watching/reading bikes fitted with very different component specs than the usual ones here in this side of the pond.
    Check my Site