Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    the train keeps rollin

ML rear tire clearance Sucks!!

I have a 05 or 06 ML. I have one major wtf!!! The rear tire clearance sucks. Tall fat tires rarely fit, when they do, there's no mud, twig, stick, or leaf clearance. It's driving me nuts.

Does the 07 rear offer better clearance?

Why doesn't Titus address this issue? The 5" travel bike is the sweet spot for most of us, but the ability to run phat tires is really lacking on the ML. I ride with guys on similar rigs, Spots, Coverts, Yetis... They have no such issue.

ಠ_ಠ
    what tire(s) are you having trouble with? Geax Sturdy 2.25 fills out the ML's rear end perfectly, but without any clearance for mud... However, if you ride in a lot of mud you'd be better off with a skinny tire anyway.

the train keeps rollin
    I've been running Specialized Resolution 2.3 in the rear. It barely clears the brace. I ride east coast, rocks, roots, rolls, small drops, it can get quite techy. Running anything smaller than a true 2.2 is gay!

I'm going to try a Rampage next, but I really want something FAT like the 2.4 Advantage I run upfront.

ಠ_ಠ
    so.... the Sturdy is too small then?

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Nobby Nic 2.4

just a bit muddy

(just a friendly tease )

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by snowdrifter
    I have a 05 or 06 ML.

Why doesn't Titus address this issue? The 5" travel bike is the sweet spot for most of us, but the ability to run phat tires is really lacking on the ML. I ride with guys on similar rigs, Spots, Coverts, Yetis... They have no such issue.
    Well, which is it? '05's had limited clearance, it's true. At that time titus offered optional free-ride lowers that increased the tire clearance. Starting late 2005, they made this standard.

So Titus did adress the issue basically... I always run 2.25's to 2.4's on my motolite withe no problem. Currently running maxxis 2.35 high roller with room to spare.

You could put bigger tires on a covert, but they'd buzz on full compression

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    You could put bigger tires on a covert, but they'd buzz on full compression
    '07 Spots are not what they used to be, too.

Cris... you know the 2.4" NN is not a real 2.4", right??
    It's only 2.25"...
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp

Cris... you know the 2.4" NN is not a real 2.4", right??
    It's only 2.25"...
    I know.. but it is way bigger/taller than a Nev 2.35.. and I still have room

actually..I don't know if mine have stretched or what..but mine measures now 2.3-2.32 at the casing/sideknobs now @ 40 psi I remeasured it when I mounted the Nev 2.35 up front (the Nev is 2.35 at the side knobs and 2.2 at the casing, but might stretch I guess...)
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-02-2007 at 12:34 PM.

the 36 year old grom
    so just use a hack saw and cut the brake arch off. problem solved. it might handle a little wiggly. and then you would have the same tire clearance solution as the 575.

I'll keep my brake arch. it make it perform more better.

maybe next week we can argue that titus should reduce the force of gravity. I could huck bigger, climb faster and just be lighter.

Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    so just use a hack saw and cut the brake arch off. problem solved. it might handle a little wiggly. and then you would have the same tire clearance solution as the 575.
    cool.. now where's that hacksaw..

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I know.. but it is way bigger/taller than a Nev 2.35.. and I still have room
    It's as tall as a Adrenaline 2.0"... I have both. The Adrenaline 2.0 clears on the ML. Barely, but it will.

The Adrenaline 2.0 is way taller than a Rampage 2.35", as tall as the NN 2.4" and I'd bet almost as tall as an ADvantage 2.4"... that thing is pretty tall.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying there's more than enough clearance, but the '05.5 and newer ML is not that bad regarding tyre clearance. Check out a MKIII for rear tyre clearance. The Covert will buzz the seat tube and so on... The 575 has enough clearance at the cost of a complicated rear shock mount. No bike is perfect.
    Check my Site

It's as tall as a Adrenaline 2.0"... I have both. The Adrenaline 2.0 clears on the ML. Barely, but it will.

The Adrenaline 2.0 is way taller than a Rampage 2.35", as tall as the NN 2.4" and I'd bet almost as tall as an ADvantage 2.4"... that thing is pretty tall.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not saying there's more than enough clearance, but the '05.5 and newer ML is not that bad regarding tyre clearance. Check out a MKIII for rear tyre clearance. The Covert will buzz the seat tube and so on... The 575 has enough clearance at the cost of a complicated rear shock mount. No bike is perfect.
    I never said the ML had bad clearance, I never argued my bike was better than the ML either... I just made a tongue-in-cheek post to stir things up since this topic have been discussed several times already..and I guess I succeeded in stirring things up .. sorry if I caused trouble

for rear clearance I have my Inbred,,, about 1 cm to go on each side with Kenda 2.35s

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    I never said the ML had bad clearance, I never argued my bike was better than the ML either... I just made a tongue-in-cheek post to stir things up since this topic have been discussed several times already..and I guess I succeeded in stirring things up .. sorry if I caused trouble
    No probs, Cris... Actually, my bad for overreacting... Sorry.

But as you mention, it's been beaten to death...

Check my Site

the train keeps rollin
    So how do I find out if my frame is a 05 or 06? Serial # scheme?

I got it on Fleebay last September, brand spanking new frame. It's a dark grey front with polished rear. The Advantage does not fit, it won't even turn. The Maxxis High Roller is a skinny 2.3, more like a 2.1. You guys run skinny mini tires

Word up, there's no perfect bike, but the ML is close, except for the tire clearance, Titus should try to address it.

This has been my only ML rant.

"El Whatever"
    The chainstay yoke on the 2005 ML is rather rectangular, just like the one on the 2005 Racer-X and 2004 Switchblade.

The 2005.5 ML has the "FR" lowers, which have a rather curvy yoke.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2005

I got it on Fleebay last September, brand spanking new frame. It's a dark grey front with polished rear. The Advantage does not fit, it won't even turn. The Maxxis High Roller is a skinny 2.3, more like a 2.1. You guys run skinny mini tires

Word up, there's no perfect bike, but the ML is close, except for the tire clearance, Titus should try to address it.

This has been my only ML rant.
    Yup Advantage no turn. I tried even after Blackie said no . I run Geax Sturdy 2.25 UST front and back.

It would be nice to be able to run taller tyres. Your bike fits the description of an 06 if this is what it look like:

the 36 year old grom
    It's a dark grey front with polished rear. .

polished rear = free ride lowers. so you have the 2005.5 ... 99.5% unlless some fool stripped and pollished the rear for fun.

gravity curmudgeon
    Are you sure? I've been running 2.4 Big Betties on my 07 spot, and there is ample clearance. I'd have no problem running larger tires yet. Heck, for that matter I've actually run those same tires on my flux with plenty of extra room.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by cowDawg
    Are you sure? I've been running 2.4 Big Betties on my 07 spot, and there is ample clearance. I'd have no problem running larger tires yet. Heck, for that matter I've actually run those same tires on my flux with plenty of extra room.
    I meant they could carry even a bigger tyre... Before 07
    Check my Site

No, that's not phonetic
    The 07's Spots and RFX's sort of split the difference between the old Spots/Packs. The old Spots cleared 2.6" tires no prob with lots of room for mud, and the RFXs cleared 3.0" tires, etc.

Now they both clear 2.7-2.8" tires as they share the same rear ends. The Spot effectively grew, the Pack shrunk.
    My video techniques can be found in this thread.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by demo_slug
    polished rear = free ride lowers. so you have the 2005.5 ... 99.5% unlless some fool stripped and pollished the rear for fun.
    stripping and polishing a rear... I'd hit it!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    stripping and polishing a rear... I'd hit it!
    easy there, big fella

banned
    I meant they could carry even a bigger tyre... Before 07
    Sorry Warp, but this isn't the first time you or your cohorts have been caught bending the truth about Turner. In this case, I'm very surprised it came from you.

It's really not worth it to turn your own forum into what the EW forum used to be, with respect to the lies about Turner bikes. At least over there, it was the former and current employees.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Sorry Warp, but this isn't the first time you or your cohorts have been caught bending the truth about Turner. In this case, I'm very surprised it came from you.

It's really not worth it to turn your own forum into what the EW forum used to be, with respect to the lies about Turner bikes. At least over there, it was the former and current employees.
    Warp you are a bad bloke and should be spanked by Gunn-Rita Dahle repeatedly

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by tscheezy
    The 07's Spots and RFX's sort of split the difference between the old Spots/Packs. The old Spots cleared 2.6" tires no prob with lots of room for mud, and the RFXs cleared 3.0" tires, etc.

Now they both clear 2.7-2.8" tires as they share the same rear ends. The Spot effectively grew, the Pack shrunk.

I stand corrected, then.

My confusion came from the RFX, and I incorrectly assumed it was a common rear end with the Spot.

And no, it's not with the intention to bash Turner. If you go to the Mexico board, you'll realize it's not... or simply ask AM who's constantly hanging around there.

I apologize for my mistake.
    Check my Site

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast