Thread: ML or not ML

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

ML or not ML

Hello. At the moment I ride an FRM 10HP (XC-racingframe with 68mm rear travel) and an Manitou R7 80mm at the front. XT gears, Formula discbrakes, Roox finishkit. The FRMframe isn't very smart frame with good hoseguides and seems pretty week. The R7 fork is a little flexy and seems pretty advanced to service.

When I built this bike for about 2 months ago, or a little more I thought the ML would have to much travel for me and be to heavy. But now I still want an ML because it seems so best, specially with an Fox Vanilla as I love in the front.

In the end of August I could have afford to change my frame and fork to an ML with a Fox Vanilla.

Should I change or keep me bike that I almost like?
    Why should I change och why shouldn't I change except I lose a lot of money?

banned
    There is a review and comparison here. Might help you decide.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    comparsion to a Yeti 575 that i don't like at all. The review of the Motolite is nice anyway, have it on my computer and got it on paper when I ordered the Titus catalog.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by cerro
    comparsion to a Yeti 575 that i don't like at all. The review of the Motolite is nice anyway, have it on my computer and got it on paper when I ordered the Titus catalog.

I think you'll friggen love the Moto-Lite!!!!!!

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I think you'll friggen love the Moto-Lite!!!!!!
    I agree. It's such a sweet ride. I think it's a very balanced ride, you won't have any problems with it. If you want you can run it at 4", but I think that after some rides in 5" you'll find that it's perfect.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Here's another vote for the ML. The frame is strong. I gear out at about 170 lbs, and got caught completely off-guard while hauling ass one day, and dropped it 8 feet to flat; no flex whatsoever. I'm not a jumper, so my landing probably sucked, too. Yes, it will be heavier than a 68mm racing frame. When all the bumps and most of the rocks disappear, though, it sure feels a lot easier to pedal up a hill than most small-travel bikes.

I went to the ML from a hardtail. I was worrying about weight and tracked all the grams weight weenie style while picking parts out. After a few rides I forgot what it weighed, and a few months down the road I'm thinking of swapping my TALAS and RP3 for a Vanilla and DHX-C 5.0.

It's never felt like too much weight or too much travel. I've done a couple of races on it, and didn't even bother to drop the travel to 4" - the suspension just works right, it takes the bumps and hits, and doesn't mess with your peddling.

The ML will let you have fun doing stuff that would probably break a race bike.

thats right living legend

Perfection!!!

[QUOTE=Suicider]Here's another vote for the ML. The frame is strong. I gear out at about 170 lbs, and got caught completely off-guard while hauling ass one day, and dropped it 8 feet to flat; no flex whatsoever. I'm not a jumper, so my landing probably sucked, too. Yes, it will be heavier than a 68mm racing frame. When all the bumps and most of the rocks disappear, though, it sure feels a lot easier to pedal up a hill than most small-travel bikes.

I went to the ML from a hardtail. I was worrying about weight and tracked all the grams weight weenie style while picking parts out. After a few rides I forgot what it weighed, and a few months down the road I'm thinking of swapping my TALAS and RP3 for a Vanilla and DHX-C 5.0.

Excalent post Suicider...though I find it hard to believe a guy called Suicider, that also is healing up from a broke hand and face dosen't like to jump.

And esp from never going down to 4" anymore, and now contemplating a Vannilla, and DHX coil, I'm in the exact same boat...

Veni Vidi Vici

I have been using an ML for more than 5 months already, it never fails to bring out a smile on my face specially if I am riding new technical trails and it just ROCKS! it feels like VENI VIDI VICI all the time

BTW, Do not listen to Jerk Chicken, because aside from being a Jerk, he is also a chicken...

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Looks like I am going to be poor this autumn.

Suicider: Do you got a picture on your bike with the Vanilla on? I weight around 140lbs with clothes so I think It is going to hold up good for me.

"Its All Good"
    Looks like I am going to be poor this autumn.

Suicider: Do you got a picture on your bike with the Vanilla on? I weight around 140lbs with clothes so I think It is going to hold up good for me.
    Cerro, yes you are going to be poor this autumn for sure, but being happy and broke is way better than being broke.

You will enjoy hte ML hugely. I went from a Spec BigHit (only 4 weeks it sucked that bad) to an Ellsworth Dare (Fantastic FR/DH er and pedalled real good) to a VP Free (grat bike) then to the Intense Uzzi (great bike) I also had a fantastic Ellsworth Id that was a fantastic bike. I the changed to the MotoLite, have not had any regrets at all, it is the most fun bike I have ridden hands down. The rare is stiff, with 5 inches that feels liek two inches when pedalling. The ability to change it to 4 inches for the odd race. A sick rugged rare end, check the stays out................

Am real happy. And yes I rode many other bikes, spent a good test time on a Turner 5 Spot, not for me as a ride. Come to poppa Jerk C, come this way...

Dam if you can get a used ML like the previous post, that would be the ticket.........

Good lcuk and enjoy....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Whafe: In how long time did you have all those bikes? I don't think I can get a used one because there isn't any Motolite in this country yet. (live in Sweden) If I buy one I am the first one to buy one in Sweden and probably the first one here that has one.

"Its All Good"
    Whafe: In how long time did you have all those bikes? I don't think I can get a used one because there isn't any Motolite in this country yet. (live in Sweden) If I buy one I am the first one to buy one in Sweden and probably the first one here that has one.
    Cerro. It was over a few years. I got out of mountain biking some years ago and took up moto x. Had two major injuries. Coma and broken shoulder and 7 ribs from an accident. So was told to give up the moto x. So got back into MTB. The technology had chanegd so much. So got the BigHit thinking it would be good for some FR, and a little pedalling. No sir. So it had to go. Then got the Ellsworth Dare, loved this bike. Had another shoulder reconstruction, so sold the Dare because FR etc was a no go with a bung shoulder. SO then got the Id for AM / XC riding. Loved it. Still missed the FR, so got the VP Free frame while Intense were getting around to making the LARGE Uzzi frames..... Bla bla, a move from New Zelaand to Spain, no time for FR. So it went.................. So did the Id, wanted a change.... So went to the MotoLite.................. So now have a roadie and 1 mtb................ Yes, Motolites here in Spain are as rare as rocking horse sh!t it seems..................

Sorry for the long winded answer.........................So had all those bikes over 3 years.......

If you come to Barcelona you can demo my MotoLite, hope you are tall and Whafe like. It is a large you see.....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Suicider: Do you got a picture on your bike with the Vanilla on?
    Said I was thinking about it. Unlike some of the members here *cough*Whafe*cough* I have to think about buying something for a long time before I can afford to do it.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Suicider
    Said I was thinking about it. Unlike some of the members here *cough*Whafe*cough* I have to think about buying something for a long time before I can afford to do it.
    can assure you I thought for a long long time. to Ti or not to Ti..................