mtbr member
    May 2006

ML Ghost Shifting ??????

Did a search on moto-lite ghost shifting and there seems to be a few out there but no body has follow ups indicating any real solution(s). My components are XT and first cable routing per Titus pictured, if anybody could please help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker T
    Did a search on moto-lite ghost shifting and there seems to be a few out there but no body has follow ups indicating any real solution(s). My components are XT and first cable routing per Titus pictured, if anybody could please help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    I seem to recall this was an issue of a too long/short cable housing, but I don't remember which one. Basically, it was solved by trial and error.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2004

I had some issues

I had some issues when I first got my bike. Too long rear derailleur cable/housing. I shortened it up (actually ran a full housing to the rear derailleur). The full housing does nothing but the proper length is the key. I think every once in a while I still might get a ghost shift -- but it really only happens when the suspension gets fully compressed. I run my housing through over the shock under the support link (other people run theirs above the link). Not sure if that makes a difference.

Hopefully others will chime in.
    Ed

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker T

Thanks
    I had this issue with my small ML build. I will try to explain the best I can.

Initially I thought the main issue was due to my weight flexing the suspension. The ghost shifting was happening much more in the open (RP23) position then when I had in the propedal position causing me to think that the suspension on the small ML couldn't deal with my weight. Then I rode my friend's small ML (again with RP23) and there was no ghost shifting whatsover and his shock was setup for 155 lbs rider. The flexing of the suspension had no affect at all. I figured since this was my first build that I must have done something wrong. I started to check every piece and noticed that my rear derailleur cable housing, the piece that goes in beteen right before the front of RP23 to rear triangle, had a play in it (basically it was too short). While I was cutting down the housing I had cut out too much and it became too short as the housing started to settle in a curve from the suspension flexing. This in turn made the rear derailleur cable too loose so that when the suspension went to play it was all over the place. Just replacing this piece with correct length and making sure that the cable was tight made the issue go away. I'm using XT setup and it's shifting perfectly. My friend has the SRAM setup with XT front derailleur and his is shifting perfectly as well. Good luck.

Btw I routed the cable housing above the middle joint while my friend routed under the middle joint (like Titus' site) and we both have no problems either way.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Smile Your assumption was my assumption......

Had one ride on the newly re-routed rear derailler cable housing and no ghost shifting. So far so good. I'm not sure if it was the front piece by the shock and or the rear piece by the rear derailler itself that did the trick as I did both. Shorten the cable housing by the rear derailler abit (10mm), lengthen the cable housing by the shock abit more (40mm) and re-routed that out of the shock links to parallel the front derailler cable housing along the seat tube.

Thanks guys for your input

mtbr member
    Glad to hear that you got it working.