Thread: ML Chain

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

ML Chain

I went to Wales yesterday and on the last descent there's loads of rocky steps, some of which you roll, others you can jump off. I found that on some of the ones that I rolled, the chain had a tendency to skip. Is this because my chain is the wrong length or is there something wrong with the chainline? I've noticed that the shop put the spacer for my Shimano Hollowtech 2 external bearings on the drive side: Is this correct?

I am currently running a dual ring and bash guard set up on my ML.

Thanks.

ಠ_ಠ
    I have a spacer on my drive-side so...

But, I run a triple.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I have noticed that the chain has a tendency to fall off when I change from the bigger ring to the granny ring: Does this suggest a poor chainline?

How does everyone else measure their chain length when running a bash ring on the ML?

Perhaps I may try a medium cage rear derailleur.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey74
    I have noticed that the chain has a tendency to fall off when I change from the bigger ring to the granny ring: Does this suggest a poor chainline?

How does everyone else measure their chain length when running a bash ring on the ML?

Perhaps I may try a medium cage rear derailleur.
    I use a bashring, X.0 long cage RD and a Heim 3 chainguide. Chain fell only once since I installed the chainguide.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    So can I assume, from the small response to this thread, that no-one else has had any similar difficulties?

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by mikey74
    So can I assume, from the small response to this thread, that no-one else has had any similar difficulties?
    yeah. in some sense I've experianced what you discribe on lots of bikes. I run a chain guide on my supermoto to keep the chain on my bike. that is pretty much a requirment if you are hitting stuff hard.

my motolite seems to hold a chain better then my supermoto. I very rarely toss the chain. so I don't use a chain guide on the ML.

per you description the spacer is in the right place. and there is no "motolight specific" issue.

you might want to try a heim guide?

or maybe try the driveline forum.