mtbr member
    Aug 2007

ML with carbron rear that much better than ML1?

Is it worth paying up for the newer ML frames that have the carbon goodies? How much weight does that really save? Anyone ride both and can feel any difference?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Depends how much.

The Carbon rear end is supposedly .5 lbs lighter, and if you are comparing to an 09 with a light-rail rear triangle it should be a little more then that. The Motolight is also made of a higher end alum then the ML-1 so there could be some weight savings there. I would guess that the ML 1 is less then a pound heavier and very similiar in terms of performance, but I have not ridden both to say for sure.

As far as price goes I usually figure weight is worth 1 dollar per gram. So I would pay 400 more for the 400 gram lighter moto-light.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Anyone know how does the ML1's frame compare to the original ML(pre-carbon rear triange)? Did they begin improving the aluminum when they started building the ML2 frame?

ಠ_ಠ
    The carbon seatstays only save 30g. But, they look to be much more reliable.

I upgraded from the aluminum to the carbon version on my 2005 ML for preventative maintenance. Sure enough once i got the old seatstay off I felt/saw what looked like the beginning of a crack at the typical spot.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    So you swapped out your rear triangle or you upgraded your frame? Where is the "typical" spot? Is this typical spot covered by warranty?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

The Light Rail Rear end

is supposed to be .5 lbs lighter. An ML-1 is basically a 2006 Moto-light with a alu rear end. Its the alloy that was used at that time.
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguysmallbike
    So you swapped out your rear triangle or you upgraded your frame? Where is the "typical" spot? Is this typical spot covered by warranty?
    He swapped the rear tri, IIRC.

The typical spot is just where the gusset of the dropout starts on the chainstay of the driveside.

Yes, it is covered by warranty but you have to go through a dealer, not Titus direct. It's their policy.
    Check my Site

ಠ_ಠ
    i just swapped the seatstays, not the whole rear end. the carbon seatstays are 30g lighter than the aluminum version.