mtbr member
    Dec 2008

ML-1 w/ RP2 just isn't the same after 6 months

-What does the ride feel like when the rear shock needs a fresh nitrogen charge?

-Should I get this thing tuned up or ebay it?

-Who is @ my spec and has swapped shocks, what's your favorite?

I'm 200 lbs. on @ 6 month old medium ML1 w/ my 07 Vanilla RLC. BikerBob hooked me up.
    RP2 (7.8 x 2) that came w/ the frame is now harsh at high speed (bad pedal feedback) . It's clean, lubed and i''ve tried different psi's. I ride 2 hrs at least once a week (faast choppy trails).

Not sure but I think the harshness is causing more problems to my bike. Have to get the chainwhip out today because my XT freehub rattles. Derailur has developed a little play too, help!
    Last edited by Nuck Su Cow; 03-22-2009 at 05:02 PM.

mtbr member

Send it to Push

You are on the upper end of the weight spectrum for that shock, send it in for the Factory Tune for $150. It will feel like butter when you get it back. They valve the shock for your weight and riding style. Almost sounds like you are riding with the propedal on?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

It's factory tuned w/ 1 bar of propedal

There's only a lockout lever and rebound knob w/ 8 available clicks (it's not locked out when riding).
    I forgot to add that it makes a squishing sound, at low speed when going thru its travel, but that's normal right?

mtbr member

It has the Fox tune of one bar?

I would send it to push anyway, I've had all my Fox shocks and Rock Shox forks Pushed and it makes a huge difference. Is the sucking sound louder than normal? If it is you might just need a air can seal which is $10 for the kit and takes about 20 minutes to change, Fox has a video on their website, very easy to do.

dog
    sit! stay!
    ditto what craigstr says about Push... there's nothing like getting a shock custom valved to your needs!
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Yes, Fox tune.

The sound hasn't been getting much louder. It used to smooth out the fast stuff, now I can really feal it thru the pedal.
    "Hey dog... DOG.. did you see the size of that chicken?"

txn
    mtbr member
    Maybe it just needs an oil change. That sounds like how my RP23 felt when it was low on oil.

That being said, you probably can't go wrong sending it to PUSH.

mtbr member

Push will get it back to you before Fox

I would check all your linkage bolts for correct torque specs (found on the titus website) and also check your seat stays for cracks, even with a bad shock the kickback you describe sounds like you could have a loose bolt or cracked seat stay which isnt uncommon with the ML.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Can't see any cracks, where are they usually?

I've got my freehub offf and cleaned but there still seems to be a little play in there, enough so that the cassette would still have a little wiggle. Tightening w/ a 10mm key doesn't seem to be working (first time trying to adjust a freehub).
    I'm noticing the notches inside the freehub on the cone, is it like tightening the play out of wheel bearings, or is it time to throw it away when it gets too loose and causes gears to skip?

mtbr member

What kind of hub is it?

Is it a Mavic? Those always seem to have some play. Cracks usually appear on the seat stay where the dropout is welded to the square tubing.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

It came on my xt hub

Hey thanks for your help, really. While looking for a broken stay, I found another problem (didn't find a crack). The seat stay/rocker pivot on the drive side is loose and is free to move around, but the bolt read a correct torque value. I wasn't aware that this was possible and only found it because I had it apart looking and listening for cracks. Thanks. I'm always checking for loose bolts and this could go overlooked w/ a rattling freehub or derailleur or a slowing shock.
    Good thing I didn't keep riding w/ these symptoms.

The seat stay/rocker pivot bolt failed, the last 2-3 threads are gone.