mtbr member
    Dec 2008

How do I fix a loose rocker & what bolt size?

My ML-1 has developed pedal feedback and I've not been able to ride, but I've tracked down the problem. The drive side seat stay/rocker is loose and the last thread is missing on the bolt.

I installed a good bolt from the left side onto the drive side, and when I pinch it (thumb on bolt head, finger on seat stay), push & pull, I can feel the bearing/bolt/seat stay slide a couple mm inside the rocker. The bolt is snug + 1/8 turn.

I love my bike, it's only@ 7 months old and I can't ride it like this. I think if I were to ride it, the SS would crack...

Should I contact Titus, and how many people have fixed this prob?

Web site doc. is from 2006, are the bolt sizes still the same?
    Last edited by Nuck Su Cow; 04-06-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: need to ride
    "Hey dog... DOG.. did you see the size of that chicken?"

mtbr member
    I don't fully understand what you mean, has the bolt sheared off or is the rocker broken? Maybe a pic would help.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The rocker has enlarged where the seat stay fits.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    It is like the bolt has streched. And since the threads don't continue all the way to the bolt head, the only way to get a snug fit would be to use a washer.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Tried to take a pic but battery's dead. I can't see any cracks on the rocker.
    Last edited by Nuck Su Cow; 04-01-2009 at 04:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    need a few good pics to fully understand your dilemma

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The seat stay, bearing and bolt are tightened as 1 piece. If I push (arrow) they move inside the rocker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuck Su Cow
    The seat stay, bearing and bolt are tightened as 1 piece. If I push (arrow) they move inside the rocker.
    Your camera takes terrible pictures...I think you need more than new batteries.
    Extreme stationary biker.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 13pumps
    need a few good pics to fully understand your dilemma
    Think there was a spacer in the rocker that was between the seat stay and bearing. I must have lost it.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespasianus
    I don't fully understand what you mean, has the bolt sheared off or is the rocker broken? Maybe a pic would help.
    Finally had time to clean and inspect the rocker interface. Got my brothers camera.
    Found out the frame doesn't come with spacers inside there. There's an aluminum insert inside the carbon rocker. It's deformed (the bearing is steel). The bolt is slightly bent also.

"El Whatever"
    Not many people have had troubles with rockers... I'm not saying there aren't, just that it's not common.

Edited my post as you posted pics as I was posting... How's the seatstay? What about the bearing? Something came loose in that assembly.

Try with Bikerbob (I assume he sold the bike to you) as you should always have the shop contact Titus as it's their policy whether we like it or not.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Can't see any cracks and the bearing seems like new. It's only @ 7 months old. I ride 2-3 times a week. Rocky uphill stuff. Thing is, I'm always checking the torque and all the other pivots are like new.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Got an M8 1.25 from the hardware store and it doesn't fit, what kind of bolt do I need?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuck Su Cow
    Got an M8 1.25 from the hardware store and it doesn't fit, what kind of bolt do I need?
    M8's is what has worked to me in the past with my Switchblade, straight off the hardware store.

Use the existing bolt as a thread gauge to see if the threads are the same pitch. But I'm willing to bet either your seatstays' threads or your bolt's threads are distorted.

Edited again.. my reading skills are in the low 00's... If your rocker's bearing housing is distorted, at the very least you need the rocker. But your seatstays threads could be damaged too. Go back to your dealer and see what they say.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    The threads on the seat stay seem fine because I can take the bolts from the other side of the bike and screw them in smoothly.

Bearing is good, it's round, and fit is square and true inside the rocker.

I need to ride! And I can't shred up the steep rockyness on my old Trek Y-frame. That's the thing I like most about my ML.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

spacer

email me for the missing replacement spacer.

Update. Just took a ML1 rocker off a frame. No spacers used.

Something else is happening.
    Last edited by Bikerbob.com; 04-05-2009 at 07:26 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I just took both sides of the rocker off, don't have spacers on any of the frame pivots. I took a couple of shots of the seat stay (non of the other pivots look like this), this is the problem..

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    email me for the missing replacement spacer. don't ride without it.

just one missing?
    Will do thanks. Need 4. Was just about to look for some thin stainless steel washers/spacers to protect the aluminum pivot points from the steel bearings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    email me for the missing replacement spacer. don't ride without it.

just one missing?

Sucks, all the spacers at the hardware store are too thick.
    Can't figure out why the M8 1.25 bolt from the store soesn't fit. Are the bolt sizes for ML-1different from the Titus site?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I just discovered I am having the same problem. The bearing has 1/8th inch of play in the rocker housing. Not really sure what the fix is. ****!!!!! I am leaving for Bootleg Canyon tomorrow with a broken bike. I guess I am going to try to add a washer or two to see if it can get me by. Looks like its time for a bearing/bushing replacment. can't complain it lasted two years.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

What year and make is your ML?

Maybe different makes have washers. Did your frame come stock with washers in the pivots?
    Did you get your bike new?
    Last edited by Nuck Su Cow; 04-06-2009 at 09:33 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I have a 2008 aluminum moto-lite that I purchased new. It has the carbon seat stays. No washers in the pivots. After futzing with the rocker and the bearings I came to two conclusions. No washer is going to fix this problem and I will probably need to replace the rocker. It seems to me that the carbon rocker that holds the bearing has become cupped and is allowing play in the bearing. Looks like I am going to rent a Nomad for bootleg canyon......

mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Which pivot ?

Quote Originally Posted by simko
    I have a 2008 aluminum moto-lite that I purchased new. It has the carbon seat stays. No washers in the pivots. After futzing with the rocker and the bearings I came to two conclusions. No washer is going to fix this problem and I will probably need to replace the rocker. It seems to me that the carbon rocker that holds the bearing has become cupped and is allowing play in the bearing. Looks like I am going to rent a Nomad for bootleg canyon......
    Post some photos. Do your bearings work like new?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by simko
    Think that's the same problem..

I just tried to take the other 3 bearings out to compare them and they fit so tight they don't even budge. I didn't know they were supposed to be so tight.

I can push this one out with my finger.