mtbr member

Maybe FTM Carbon.... a few questions

Anyone know the rear tire max size accommodated by the FTM Carbon?

For the fancy internal cable routing, what does one do with a rear hydro brake line? I can't (won't and don't want to) disconnect my hose from the caliper.... Are there hose fittings?

I'd build with an existing (awesome) Magura Thor 140mm fork that uses a standard 1 1/8" straight gauge steerer.. I assume I can get a HS to work with this frame and fork combo?

Anyone actually spend time on one of these? Impressions? I've read all the reviews on the interwebs....

Thanks!

The Cheater
    That's right, I just ordered an X Carbon and I didn't think about having to remove the rear brake line to have it routed inside the frame. Hmm...
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Veda
    That's right, I just ordered an X Carbon and I didn't think about having to remove the rear brake line to have it routed inside the frame. Hmm...
    There are no other guides on the front triangle for the cables. Unhooking the brake line and running it through the internal housing is a simple procedure and if done correct there will be no bleeding required. It is a molded housing line so it is easy in and easy out.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

optios

Quote Originally Posted by TitusBen
    There are no other guides on the front triangle for the cables. Unhooking the brake line and running it through the internal housing is a simple procedure and if done correct there will be no bleeding required. It is a molded housing line so it is easy in and easy out.
    If you aren't willing or able to disconnect the brake hose at the lever, stick a short piece of toothpick to seal it and run it through the frame, then get the aluminum FTM.

I almost prefer the aluminum and it's US-made (important to you Brits). Standard cable mounting.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    If you aren't willing or able to disconnect the brake hose at the lever, stick a short piece of toothpick to seal it and run it through the frame, then get the aluminum FTM.

I almost prefer the aluminum and it's US-made (important to you Brits). Standard cable mounting.
    Do you like the aluminum better because of the cable routing or something else? I thought they were pretty much the same bike except for the weight diff. I just ordered the carbon and I choose it over the aluminum simply for the value factor. Seems like the carbon is going for close to, if not cheaper, than the aluminum.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    If you're a Buckeye fan, we're not too far from Columbus.

I started out with the Motolite in aluminum, one of of the most popular American made bikes in the last 6 years. The FTM aluminum evolved from that and is still a favorite around here.
    I'm not sure I would want to take a full carbon version on road trips to new and challenging trails around the country and world. (My travel bike is titanium)

Plus, made in the Republic of China is not a plus for someone in Ohio.
    The move to imported carbon bikes in 2010 might have been the demise of Titus in Arizona.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maybe FTM Carbon....  a few questions-img_4192.jpg  

Maybe FTM Carbon....  a few questions-img_1453.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikerbob.com
    If you're a Buckeye fan, we're not too far from Columbus.

I started out with the Motolite in aluminum, one of of the most popular American made bikes in the last 6 years. The FTM aluminum evolved from that and is still a favorite around here.
    I'm not sure I would want to take a full carbon version on road trips to new and challenging trails around the country and world. (My travel bike is titanium)

Plus, made in the Republic of China is not a plus for someone in Ohio.
    The move to imported carbon bikes in 2010 might have been the demise of Titus in Arizona.
    I actually live in south central PA. How I became a Buckeye fan is long story. Lately though, it's been rough with everything going on with the program.

So are the aluminum bikes still made in the US? I am in agreement with you that I don't have complete trust in anything made in China. I am seriously considering cancelling my order and going with the aluminum version. I was looking at your website and saw that you only had a medium in stock. What would be the ETA on a small (I'm 5'7")?

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    I still get them from the new Titus folks. Takes a week or so.
    I do have complete or partial build kits that Titus spec'd last year.

Also have a friend who is selling her small FTM frame in order to get an XS.

Email bob@bikerbob.com

At Work
    Yes. Aluminum frames made in usa
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by buckeyefan
    I am in agreement with you that I don't have complete trust in anything made in China.
    FYI, Republic of China = Taiwan. They have all the know how and experience that is needed to build a durable und high quality carbon frame. The whole bike industry is building their frames over there (Specialized, C'dale, Giant to name a few), so I don't see any difference to a frame built in the USA or Europe.