"El Whatever"

Marzocchi All-Marathon S

Well... Just because Geo-Caribou-Lover asked for it, I'm putting all the info about this mod I just made.

The AM1 is a great fork that has limited damping capabilities. The Z1 is a terrific fork that has limited adjustability (no compression, no ETA). But both are built for a different purpouse from each other. However, the AM1 leaves you wanting for more when you're really pushing it. The TST is a limited orifice damper with a blow-off. The HSCV on the Z1 is really speed sensitive and should be a better match.

The idea is to install a HSCV cartrdige on the AM1 and kill it's compression adjustability but boost it's performance overall.

Why "All-Marathon S"??? Because you end up with was basically was a Marathon S from 2004 but with adjustable travel between 130-150mm... oh, and the name "ZAM" was already taken...

Now that I look at it, it's nothing special, but somehow I was able to pull it out.

Step one... Take a perfectly working Zoke All Mountain 1 130-150mm travel and a Z1 FR2 150mm travel.

Then pull out the HSCV cartridge from the Z1's right leg.
    Foot nuts are the same 12mm ones. The difference between them is the ones on the AM1 have a hole to take the rebound adjuster.

As you may see, you don't even need new foot nuts for this mod... They're probably cheap arse, though and you may want to order them anyway.

Here the cartridges side to side, both at full extension.

Amazingly, the TST shaft has no less than nearly 180mm travel... yup, maybe they wante to make a 66 TST

Just for kicks, check the HSCV has enough travel.... it has actually a hair over 150mm... like 155mm

If you think about interchanging cartridges with a buddy... Don't think about it... The Z1 has some inserts in the lowest part of the stanchion that prevents the TST to go in.

The lower casting has a recess on the AM1 that receives perfectly the SHCV cart.

Topcaps... what about them?? Nothing really, but you need the one specific for the HSCV cart. The one on the TST simply won't work.

Other than that, they're same pitch thread.

I simply put everything together and went with Zoke oil 7.5wt (Golden Spectro 125/150) that I had laying around and a level just 60mm from top of crown.

Voila!!

Testing will begin next sunday...

Notes...

1.- I removed the spring on the HSCV cart. For my weight was overkill.
    2.- Because of this, the set-up will be more finicky... But may not be a problem for heavier riders. Preload is only on the HSCV leg and you have to use oil weights to tune compression and sage and travel are oil volume dependent.

Happy Trails!!
    Check my Site

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Very sweet, Warp.... looks like a very clean swap.. and very detailed pictorial

Can't wait for the ride report!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Thank-you Warp. Looking forward to ride report.

You are very clever

thats right living legend
    Is there a way to order just the HSCV cart? I've heard it may not be possible?... I wonder if it would be worth it to buy a Z1 FR2?

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Is there a way to order just the HSCV cart? I've heard it may not be possible?... I wonder if it would be worth it to buy a Z1 FR2?
    Yes, they can be ordered... You need the cart, the complete top cap aseembly (cap, dial) and foot nut if you want (recommended).

Hit a decent shop that sells Zoke, or get them on the phone.

Some shop in Montana can sort it out...

Z1FR2's must be going very cheap now. You have a thru axle wheel already, so you can simply slap the ETA cartridge on the Z1 and ride happily into the sunset. You can go as far as swapping the Z1's uppers for the AM1 uppers and have a "ZAM1" (That is a thru axle AM with HSCV and ETA). The AM uppers are lighter.
    Check my Site

Ti is addictive
    Is there anything you can't do????????
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Do A Search...

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo

His wife came on here, and posted a few things a while back I think.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Yeah... I can't get to ride every weekend....

Oh, and just for the record, my wife thinks I can do everything.

Anyway...

I went for a ride today and man! I was blown away!!

The HSCV cart is PLAIN superior to TST, but now I can clearly see why Zoke designed the TST.

The HSCV dives a little more and bobs a little more... but who cares??????? This thing is pure butta! More than you'd think it's possible. Uses more travel too.

Small and big hits are soaked with equal ease... but you really thank it in the big stuff where you get some feedback on the TST. The HSCV is so ridiculously smooth, that I thought my tyre was low in pressure.

I still have to dial in oil levels... but now I have to decide to buy a complete Z1 to my friend or order a HSCV cart from Zoke. It's THAT good.
    Last edited by Warp; 07-01-2007 at 06:24 PM.
    Check my Site

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    The HSCV cart is PLAIN superior to HSCV, but now I can clearly see why Zoke designed the TST.
    so it is superior than itself (I know you meant TST in the second part)

The HSCV dives a little more and bobs a little more... but who cares??????? This thing is pure butta! More than you'd think it's possible. Uses more travel too.
    Yep.. that's the same impression I had from my old marathon SL..HSCV is awesomely smooth

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    .... The HSCV is so ridiculously smooth, that I thought my tyre was low in pressure.
    prolly is low, buy a digital gauge and join the 20th century Mr. Pinchfingers

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    so it is superior than itself (I know you meant TST in the second part)
    Thanks, Cris... I corrected it... I was in a hurry when I posted the review.

Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Yep.. that's the same impression I had from my old marathon SL..HSCV is awesomely smooth
    Yeah, I really mean that it may not be the best for each and every rider out there. It may be too plush for some people, depending on your tastes. I like a suspension fork that works, give traction and keep the chassis in control... HSCV makes it better than TST. TST may outclimb HSCV, but I was not being faster anyway.

AM... Got your PM, mate.. Yeah, you need topcap assembly with any dial used, the cart and foot nut with any kind of dial it may use. Preferably from a Z1 same year, same travel. Otherwise chances are there would be slight differences in castings or threads that may not work. Good Luck!!

PS... And no. It wasn't a low tyre
    Check my Site

Yeah Warp I know exactely what your talking about, from when I ran a Z130 on my ML for a week or so. So I'm thinking mabye I'll just make a few calls tomarrow about getting one instead of the TST thingy I need for the old ZAM1?... What's your oppinion?

No responsibilty.. I'd just like your OP... Thanks!

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Yeah Warp I know exactely what your talking about, from when I ran a Z130 on my ML for a week or so. So I'm thinking mabye I'll just make a few calls tomarrow about getting one instead of the TST thingy I need for the old ZAM1?... What's your oppinion?

No responsibilty.. I'd just like your OP... Thanks!
    I'd do it... If you don't like it, I'll buy it from you.

My friend seems to want to sell his fork complete... I just need a cartridge.

Remember... you need the Top cap with dial. Cartridge and foot nut.
    Check my Site