Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lost ML :(

searcher

Lost ML :(

I moved to one of the caribbean islands to work a week ago. I brought my bike with me in case I can arrange some biking holidays in the US from here. It was a bad idea. The bike did not arrive with the other luggages, and it has been a week already...
    Anybody had the same experience before? How much can I claim for it? I had no insurance on it..
    Kovi

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    oh cr@p kovi!

Usually the airlines cover around $1000 per piece of luggage...but it varies with the airline... so you better check their website and see what they claim....

Bummer, man! I really hopes it comes up somewhere...

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    I moved to one of the caribbean islands to work a week ago. I brought my bike with me in case I can arrange some biking holidays in the US from here. It was a bad idea. The bike did not arrive with the other luggages, and it has been a week already...
    Anybody had the same experience before? How much can I claim for it? I had no insurance on it..
    Bummer!

Sorry to hear that. What does the airline says?

Sorry to hear that...

dog
    sit! stay!
    no way! that sucks...

i hope the airline accepts responsibility...

searcher
    The airline says that I should wait. It can take up to 10 days..bla bla And it was defenetly in Miami. I will let you know
    Kovi

Bike to the Bone...
    The airline says that I should wait. It can take up to 10 days..bla bla And it was defenetly in Miami. I will let you know
    Bad luck... but you might still get your bike. Airline luggage is not easy, and Miami airport is hectic at the best of times, so have some patience.

Something similar happened to me when I went to pick up my ML in Dallas. A friend lent me a bike luggage so I didn't need to carry it in a box. When I got to Dallas, they had just opened a new terminal. The bike bag didn't arrive at the terminal. I talked with the guys of the airline and they told me they were going to search for it, that probably it was misplaced....

So, I went to pick my bike. The next day, when I arrived at the terminal, the guy at the check in counter told me I had to pay for the extra baggage. I told him that they had lost my bag, and they expected me to pay? Well, he talked to the airline manager, and the manager told me if he did find the luggage, would I take it back? Of course... Well, he left and after an hour (maybe a little less) he found the thing. Since it was a new terminal, it was misplaced inside the same airport. Well, finally, I took the box the ML was in plus the bag, and they didn't charge me anything.

I hope your bike does apear, Kovi!

If not, look at it on the bright side, it might be that an El Guapo was destined by the powers that be to be your next bike....

"Its All Good"
    Sheesh kove, that sucks big time, have had them loose it for a few days... Lets hope it turns up...

You will get the fine print crap from the airlines etc... Flip bro, am feeling sucky for you, have everything crossed....

Will await some positive news on this.......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

searcher
    Thanks guys.
    Miami airport is under construction and development at the moment, so maybe that was the problem.
    Fingers crossed here anyway
    And you are right rzozaya, at least I can build a totally new bike later.
    Kovi

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Eish....that sucks! Hope it turns up soon!

Mine's never been insured, but have already gotten quotes to do so before handing it to the airlines for the groupride.

The monthly payments are steep though....more than for my car and my car actually costs more than my bike for the first time in my life
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

Veni Vidi Vici
    Total bummer ... Hope you get your ML very soon... or maybe this is a sign for you to get an EG

"El Whatever"
    Thanks guys.
    Miami airport is under construction and development at the moment, so maybe that was the problem.
    Fingers crossed here anyway
    And you are right rzozaya, at least I can build a totally new bike later.
    That's bad news, Kovi... I hope from the heart you find it.

When were you at MIA?
    I was there tuesday and thursday last week! Should the timing would have been good, I would have loved at least to have a coffee with you down there.

Oh, well... it'll be sometime later.
    Check my Site

Where is my mind?
    Sorry to hear that. What was your final destination? Best of luck. I'll have to remember this when I decide to fly off with my ML.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Originally Posted by kovi
    To be honest: your ML is one of many setup that inspired me the most.
    If I were you, I would call the airline rep perhaps twice a day, and complain it with the most outrage.
    I had my luggage missing on an international trip, and I was so furious about that. Luckily they were back to me in less than 24hr.
    If the story is publicized, the airline will lose potential customer. I think you should tell that to the rep.

mtbr member
    Any updates Kovi?
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.

mtbr member
    oh man..
    good luck
    I hope they locate it

searcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That's bad news, Kovi... I hope from the heart you find it.

When were you at MIA?
    I was there tuesday and thursday last week! Should the timing would have been good, I would have loved at least to have a coffee with you down there.

Oh, well... it'll be sometime later.
    Yeah, that could have been great, man! Maybe sometime later, I agree.
    Kovi

"Its All Good"
    Kovi, can you give us an update, we need to know, may have to help you on htis, pass the hat around, to get an all round good guy another bike, or go someway to help
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

searcher
    hi guys,
    No good news from me. I talked to the AA yesterday (American Airlines), they are very optimistic (of course), but the tracing could last another 6 weeks minimum. So...I dont know. They said I should not loose hope. Well....hope is the last thing to loose, right?
    Problem is, even if I call them everyday, and argue, the answer is the same: Be patient, our collegues will locate it, it can take a long time, bla, bla, we will contact you immidiatly, if we find it, bla, bla.
    Kovi

"El Whatever"
    hi guys,
    No good news from me. I talked to the AA yesterday (American Airlines), they are very optimistic (of course), but the tracing could last another 6 weeks minimum. So...I dont know. They said I should not loose hope. Well....hope is the last thing to loose, right?
    Problem is, even if I call them everyday, and argue, the answer is the same: Be patient, our collegues will locate it, it can take a long time, bla, bla, we will contact you immidiatly, if we find it, bla, bla.
    Man, that hurts... Well, I still hope you find it. Or at least they reimburse you for the loss.

I have only flown with 4 companies so far... Mexicana, Aeromexico, Iberia and AA... And by far, AA is the worst of all of them. It really sucks.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    hi guys,
    kovi, feel for you bro, that is just too distressing. I fly to LA tomorrow with bike in hand. Have my fingers crossed.

But am just bummed for you, we all have everything crossed, fingers, hands, feet, nads, you name it.................. Cant believe this is still going on....

Good vibes heading your way x a trillion

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    hi guys,
    sorry kovi

how can 'tracing' take another 6 weeks.... did they hire a Private Detective or something ?~?

Paper or plastic?
    That's another way of saying: we're bunch of f.... ups. We can't figure our own $hit, so we're hoping it turns up somehow.

Truely sorry to hear the bad news.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Man, that hurts... Well, I still hope you find it. Or at least they reimburse you for the loss.

I have only flown with 4 companies so far... Mexicana, Aeromexico, Iberia and AA... And by far, AA is the worst of all of them. It really sucks.
    I haven't flown on those non-US airlines. My recent experience is that American Airlines is one of the best American airlines (small "a" for airlines). Delta and US Air are the worst in my book. A recent survey ranked US Air last.

One of our bags got lost when we returned from our daughter's wedding last year in the Turks & Caicos when we went through Miami. We handed our bags directly to the TSA person after we cleared Customs. When we arrived in Indianapolis, one bag was missing. We got it back one day later with a note in it that said "thank you for visiting San Francisco". Go figure!

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by jnogan
    I haven't flown on those non-US airlines. My recent experience is that American Airlines is one of the best American airlines (small "a" for airlines). Delta and US Air are the worst in my book. A recent survey ranked US Air last.

One of our bags got lost when we returned from our daughter's wedding last year in the Turks & Caicos when we went through Miami. We handed our bags directly to the TSA person after we cleared Customs. When we arrived in Indianapolis, one bag was missing. We got it back one day later with a note in it that said "thank you for visiting San Francisco". Go figure!
    I have had no bad experiences with Delta thus far... and I fly with them at least once a year from Frankfurt to San Jose, CR... but these things are a matter of luck I guess... I am thinking about traveling with my bike to the US in August... so I am keeping an eye on this sort of thing... I will try to get some insurance for sure, just in case... (at least for partial coverage if not full)

local trails rider
    Anybody read "The meaning of Liff" by Douglas Adams?

It contains lots of definitions for things that did not use to have a name. DA found lots of otherwise meaningless words on poles scattered around the world and decided to do something useful with them.

One of the definitions goes something like this: The phenomenon that causes your airline luggage always to end up in Murmansk, where ever you are going. Only your trips to Murmansk are an exception.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast