mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Looking at Motolite

Cross post with the Bike & Frame forum.

I'm looking for a new bike, and one that keeps crossing my path is the Motolite. I've seen quite a few for sale in my price range. I've heard good things about them, but wanted to know what you all thought about them. The reviews are mostly positive. The ones I'm looking at are primarily from 2009.

My only concern is the fact I'm findin them for less than I would expect. My understanding is these bikes started at about $2,600 three years ago, and now I'm seeing them in the range of $1,100 to $1,300. I know they depreciate, but 50% in three years seems a bit less than many other bikes. So, what's the deal? Are they going all Pinto and blowing up if you hit a rock the wrong way?
    '08 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc (Stolen). I hope you break both kneecaps of the jerk who stole you.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The MotoLite is a great bike. The movement seems to be moving towards longer travel and slacker head angles. I'm not sure that people are selling their bikes so cheap - 50% of value after a few years sounds about right to me. Have a look at bikerbob.com and see what he has left for motolites and ftm's. I know he has some leftover stock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GPRider08 View Post
    Cross post with the Bike & Frame forum.

I'm looking for a new bike, and one that keeps crossing my path is the Motolite. I've seen quite a few for sale in my price range. I've heard good things about them, but wanted to know what you all thought about them. The reviews are mostly positive. The ones I'm looking at are primarily from 2009.

My only concern is the fact I'm findin them for less than I would expect. My understanding is these bikes started at about $2,600 three years ago, and now I'm seeing them in the range of $1,100 to $1,300. I know they depreciate, but 50% in three years seems a bit less than many other bikes. So, what's the deal? Are they going all Pinto and blowing up if you hit a rock the wrong way?
    The main problem is that when Titus was purchased by On-one, they sold new bikes for $999. Previously, an American made Titus was close to $2200. You should be able to pick up a new ML frame for close to $900. It is a nice bike. More on the XC side of things but their is nothing wrong with that. Definitely talk to biker bob.

Dozer
    I don't think you would be disappointed with a ML at all. A friend of mine -- a racer who only rides 29er SS now -- rode my ML a few weeks ago and STILL talks about how nice of a ride it is. I think the downward shift in prices is working to your advantage.

I primarily ride a 29er now, too, but I won't be selling my ML any time soon!