austin ex-patriot
    Dec 2005

LocoMoto w/ coil shock

Just wanted to see if anyone is running a Loco with a coil shock. If you are and have also tried an air shock, compare the two for me. I have a Swinger 4 way air on it but would like to put a Fox Vanilla R propedal if it will make it a little more plush. Thanks.

%$#$*!
    I have used both the swinger 4way and Vanilla R(no propedal) on the loco moto. While the Vanilla R was much more plush the only thing that I didn't like about it was that it bottomed out harshly on drops because of the loco's falling rate suspension design. Because of this I couldn't ride with it.

I really like the swinger because I can turn in the bottom out adjuster and still be able to run a soft air spring (30-35% sag). This is the only reason that the swinger is still on the loco. On all size drops, the suspension curve of the swinger feels bottomless.

I did a little experiment a while back and took my pushed vanilla rc off of my turner and put it on the loco to see how much plusher it would be than the swinger. the turners i2i is a little shorter (-.375") but has the same stroke (2"). While I realize that it has been valved for a completely different bike and that this changed the bb height and head angle, I just wanted to see if it was any plusher.

To my surprise, it actually felt very close to the swinger at the minimum 50psi in the spv chamber. My point is that the Vanilla R's propedal is non-adjustable so depending on what bike it comes off of or how it was valved for aftermarket consumption it may not be any better than the swinger in terms of initial plushness.

I'm curious if anyone has used a COIL 4way or a DHX on the loco. that would seem like the best of both worlds. I've also heard people recommending pushed rp3's.