I rode 'Whistler XC'

Lifespan on alu bars?

I'm also looking at discontinuing using my Easton MonkeyLite carbon bars. Had them for 3yrs myself and I got them on a 2nd hand bike that was 2yrs old.

Anyway, I have an old Answer Alumilite DH bar that I bought about 10yrs ago. It's just been lying around. Didn't use it for very long and it never saw any drops or jumps. Back then the only riser bars you could get were DH bars.

It weighs a ton...wall thickness is literally about 3-4mm!

What do you guys reckon? Is it still safe to use?

Thanks
    If I wanted your opinion I'd give it to you

"Its All Good"
    Minty, I should think so.............

Have you had loads of falls on the E MonkeyLite bars?

Good question re how long should keep carbon bars for, my RF barbon bars are more than 2 years old too........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    My Monkeylites still seem to be in pretty decent shape. Look pretty good, no major scratches or anything major on the surface.

I haven't personally had any hard falls on them, but the fact they're 5yrs old and I don't know what they went through before I got them bugs me a little.

"Its All Good"
    Yep, get your point, getting on a bit then.... Be able to pick some new bars up when you are away..............

F all sleeps for you bro.................More for me.........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    I changed my monkeylites after 3 years of use.. just for safety... they still were in pretty good shape.. sold them cheap to a friend for his city/commuter...

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Yep, get your point, getting on a bit then.... Be able to pick some new bars up when you are away..............

F all sleeps for you bro.................More for me.........

Yeah....i'm like a kid at christmas already!!!!

Also heading up to Knysna tomorrow for the weekend....85km race on Saturday. That's going to hurt!!! Harkerville Red Route Sunday! Awesome trail....posted pics a while ago.

Also thought I'd hang onto my almost-busted rear derailleur and chain and get new stuff over there for cheaper, but after chatting to a guy on facebook he said it's actually very expensive in Whistler....not sure. Probably safer to have everything sorted before I go anyway.

The alu bar is on my commuter/street/play bike now, so will switch the two. The playbike only sees minor abuse....small drops, wheelies, curbs etc. Just to improve balance and control.

The speeds I hit on the ML though make me nervous.....i wouldn't wanna break a bar at 60km an hour!

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    You need new carbon bars

Quote Originally Posted by MintSauce
    Also thought I'd hang onto my almost-busted rear derailleur and chain and get new stuff over there for cheaper, but after chatting to a guy on facebook he said it's actually very expensive in Whistler....not sure. Probably safer to have everything sorted before I go anyway.
    Maybe you could order the stuff and ship it to FM beforehand or something (after he agrees of course )

Trophy Husband
    Parts are VERY expensive in Whistler. Maybe FM, EB or me (if I can go) can bring you some stuff from the US.
    Extreme stationary biker.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    or me (if I can go) can bring you some stuff from the US.
    You will be able to go GL, work will work out perfectly............

Even get it shipped to where you will stay Minty......

Thats what I did with my GPS in Sedona, ordered it, the next day got back from the morning ride, and there was..................

"El Whatever"
    I'm also looking at discontinuing using my Easton MonkeyLite carbon bars. Had them for 3yrs myself and I got them on a 2nd hand bike that was 2yrs old.

Anyway, I have an old Answer Alumilite DH bar that I bought about 10yrs ago. It's just been lying around. Didn't use it for very long and it never saw any drops or jumps. Back then the only riser bars you could get were DH bars.

Thanks
    No probs, I think... But why not going with a new alu or carbon one??

When was the last time you changed a part because it REALLY needed it??
    Check my Site

Quote Originally Posted by Warp

When was the last time you changed a part because it REALLY needed it??
    exactly... want/need new bars... plus a call to the Barn and this is what happens

twin cockpits

Master of None
    Looking good crisillo, like two jet fighters in formation.

Quote Originally Posted by presslab
    Looking good crisillo, like two jet fighters in formation.

mtbr member

Thanks
    I broke/bent two Alu bars in the past. I have CF for 1 year now but ride much more agresively and like the feel and look. I believe CF is becoming more central to MTB and replaces Alu gradually (not on derailers please).
    I am no material expert at all, but think that CF has longer life span than Alu and may only have disadvantages at crashes (not sure about that either).

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    I believe CF is becoming more central to MTB and replaces Alu gradually (not on derailers please).
    I hope not...

I only have carbon brake lever on my bike. Recently the bike fell on its side and good bye brake lever tip. It's fully functional, but it's broken.

It's the only brake lever I've (actually I will have to) had to replace in nearly 17 years of MTB'ing... Not the manufacturer's fault at all. Totally my fault. But it represents the kind of things I don't want worry about on my bike.

I'll take the weight penalty over having to worry if my bike falls sideways, if my brake/shifter clamps have sharp edges, if torque is not 100% cool, if it scratches or if brake fluid will damage it.

Thank you, but no thank you. It's a MTB. It's supposed to be rugged, dependable, not to be something to look after each and every ride.

I'm just speaking my point of view (which I admit has something of irrational and dumb) but I'll stick to aluminum.

Oh... another irrational thing about me... I hate aluminum, Ti or SS bolts. Too much seizure, galling and torqueing issues for me.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    I hope not...

I only have carbon brake lever on my bike. Recently the bike fell on its side and good bye brake lever tip. It's fully functional, but it's broken.

Thank you, but no thank you. It's a MTB. It's supposed to be rugged, dependable, not to be something to look after each and every ride.

I'm just speaking my point of view (which I admit has something of irrational and dumb) but I'll stick to aluminum.

Oh... another irrational thing about me... I hate aluminum, Ti or SS bolts. Too much seizure, galling and torqueing issues for me.
    This direction will continue and the next thing you know will be an all CF EG
    BTW, the only time I broke a shifter lever it was ALU. It was a brand new XT shifter that did not survive a minor crash. So crashes are very bad for the health of our components but unfortunately part of our life.

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Maybe you could order the stuff and ship it to FM beforehand or something (after he agrees of course )
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Parts are VERY expensive in Whistler. Maybe FM, EB or me (if I can go) can bring you some stuff from the US.
    I considered this as well, but I will be in Whistler a week before the other guys and would want my bike dialled then. Thanks for the offer geo!

Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Even get it shipped to where you will stay Minty......

Thats what I did with my GPS in Sedona, ordered it, the next day got back from the morning ride, and there was..................
    I reckon I'll do this. Will use the old alu bar or just the Monkeylite and order something to be sent to where I'm staying.

Any reccomendations for a good quality alu bar?

I'm on a bit of a budget....Whistler trip coming up.....KA-CHING!

I ended up buying an X-9 rear derailleur last week since the shifting was becoming too bad. Won't go X.0 again after ripping two of those off my bike in 6 months($$$$)

Shifting performance is identical to X.0 so am very happy with it. Cannot convince myself to spend so much cash on such a vulnerable part anymore. X.0 is literally more than double the price of X.9....doesn't look as bling though

I rode 'Whistler XC'
    So I switched the bars out this weekend. Man....what a difference! Will definitely switch back to carbon asap.

Never really noticed a difference going from Alu to CF, but switching back there is definitely a lot more vibration coming up through my hands.

Carbon is good(i think)

So I switched the bars out this weekend. Man....what a difference! Will definitely switch back to carbon asap.

Never really noticed a difference going from Alu to CF, but switching back there is definitely a lot more vibration coming up through my hands.

Carbon is good(i think)
    bigger fork and more sag and you will hardly notice it (jk.. yeah it is noticeable on small ripples in the trail)

mtbr member

Carbon is good(i think)
    Hey, thanks for the update.
    I am very happy with my CF FSA. It's good to know it's not only weight saving we pay for.

mtbr member
    bigger fork and more sag and you will hardly notice it (jk.. yeah it is noticeable on small ripples in the trail)
    Cris,
    Bigger fork cost much more than the best CF HB and adds almost 1kg

Cris,
    Bigger fork cost much more than the best CF HB and adds almost 1kg
    I was just making a joke.. therefore the "jk - just kidding" in my post.... it adds weight..but sure is fun

mtbr member
    I was just making a joke.. therefore the "jk - just kidding" in my post.... it adds weight..but sure is fun
    Todo Bien
    Missed the little jk . I am gonig to add soon 1kg of rubber and hope I will find it helping with vib damping

Todo Bien
    Missed the little jk . I am gonig to add soon 1kg of rubber and hope I will find it helping with vib damping
    if they are big volume tires..play with pressures... don't go crazy low, but a bigger volume tire will allow a decrease in pressure without pinchflatting...