Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Last Two (I hope) Questions on the ML

I just have a few more questions on the ML:

Does a Medium or Large fit a 5'11" rider better? I ride a Large Flux but rode a Medium 575and AS-R SL. Large would have been fine too. My arms are long and I'm comfortable around 23.4 - 24" TT length. If I went with a 5 Spot, I would probably buy a Large but on the ML, people seem to be split. I'm not sure why since the TT (or rather, the effective TT length) on the Spot, Flux, and Yetis are pretty similar on paper.

Next question- is the ML Anodized only? Is there no Powdercoat option at all? I prefer Powedercoat paint instead of Ano but I think that Titus reduced the number of colors to Blue and Gray and offers no Powdercoat. The Blue looks nice enough but 4-5 color options is perfect.

thats right living legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Flyer

Next question- is the ML Anodized only? Is there no Powdercoat option at all? I prefer Powedercoat paint instead of Ano but I think that Titus reduced the number of colors to Blue and Gray and offers no Powdercoat. The Blue looks nice enough but 4-5 color options is perfect.

Umm, reverse that...

ಠ_ಠ
    I'd do a large with a short stem and a no set-back post.

They only come powder coated in Blue or Matte Charcoal Grey. Both colors to my mind look great.

Bike to the Bone...
    I just have a few more questions on the ML:

Does a Medium or Large fit a 5'11" rider better? I ride a Large Flux but rode a Medium 575and AS-R SL. Large would have been fine too. My arms are long and I'm comfortable around 23.4 - 24" TT length. If I went with a 5 Spot, I would probably buy a Large but on the ML, people seem to be split. I'm not sure why since the TT (or rather, the effective TT length) on the Spot, Flux, and Yetis are pretty similar on paper.

I'm 5'11" and run a Medium ML with a 100mm stem and it fit's fine. I think I would be fine with a large and 75mm stem....

the 36 year old grom
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    I'd do a large with a short stem and a no set-back post.

They only come powder coated in Blue or Matte Charcoal Grey. Both colors to my mind look great.
    you know, at sea otter gus said they are a wet paint? weird I guess they can do that in asia.

screamer
    That's a tough one. Are you looking to match the reach on your Flux? I'm a little taller than you (a bit under 6'1"), and am very comfortable on a large with a no-setback seat (the saddle scooted slightly forward of center) and 110mm stem (I could even go to 120mm). That's 28" horizontal from seatpost to handlebars. It's not an upright position, but not a stretched out XC racer fit either. There's plenty of seatpost showing and standover to spare, and I've never been bothered by the tall headtube as others have been. If you're okay with the prospect of running a 90 or 100mm stem (I seem to remember you're of the XC persuasion), then I'd say go for the large. However, if you're looking for a more upright AM bike, a medium might be less risky and give you more flexibility, since you could always install a long stem and a setback post for a longer feel.

Given the choice, I'd rather have an anodized frame. The paint isn't the best ever, and this is probably the #1 complaint of ML owners. But hey, if you WANT paint, then you're in luck. The matte dark grey is baddass!

Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I'm 5'11" and run a Medium ML with a 100mm stem and it fit's fine. I think I would be fine with a large and 75mm stem....

I'm also 5' 11" with a medium, and a 100mm stem. I wouldn't go anywhere near a 75mm stem, but that's just me. I guess you could go either way?

ಠ_ಠ
    Why not call 1-800-85-TITUS and ask them. As you can see, it's not a clear choice...

Bike to the Bone...
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I'm also 5' 11" with a medium, and a 100mm stem. I wouldn't go anywhere near a 75mm stem, but that's just me. I guess you could go either way?
    I think it depends on the ride you do. Acording to Titus website, there is a 1" difference in top tube length from medium to large. That's about 25mm.

Going for a longer top tube length and use a stem that would put you in the same riding position would probably make the bike more stable at fireroads.

But having a shorter wheelbase would probably make it better for singletrack, where it can twist easier.

Ok, this is acording to my personal logic, I hope I'm not too far off.

Anyway, my previous bike was a XL Stumpjumper FSR, and I did feel that difference. But the ML is just better to the Stumpy overall. I think that, if I had lot's and lot's of money, I would order an exo ML custom to be in between the M and L frames in the top tube lenght.

Edit:

I went from a 110 stem down to a 90, and feel that the 100 is right for what I do
    Last edited by rzozaya1969; 08-09-2006 at 10:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks guys! I thought it was Ano paint but obviously not. I hope they have cleared up the paint issue. The nice thing about non-Ano is they can be easily custom powdercoated in the future.

I will call Titus and see how much a custom size is- if they can even do that in the Aluminum frame.

Thanks guys! I thought it was Ano paint but obviously not. I hope they have cleared up the paint issue. The nice thing about non-Ano is they can be easily custom powdercoated in the future.

I will call Titus and see how much a custom size is- if they can even do that in the Aluminum frame.

You don't think you really need to go "that far" do ya? I think you'll do fine with one of sizes. Unless you've ridden one already, and know?

I'm fairly sure Titus dosen't do custom, in AL. But anyway I'd give them a call "odviously" and see what they say about what would work best for you... Good luck!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Would I go that far? Yeah, I probably would if I thought that getting me to a 23.8mm TT length would fit me better. I do all this in my head and get more involved in technicalites and less in the overall experience. I need to come back to earth though- my desires always seem to decimate my bank balance.
    You may just have brought me back to Earth, blackagness- thanks!

"El Whatever"
    Would I go that far? Yeah, I probably would if I thought that getting me to a 23.8mm TT length would fit me better. I do all this in my head and get more involved in technicalites and less in the overall experience. I need to come back to earth though- my desires always seem to decimate my bank balance.
    You may just have brought me back to Earth, blackagness- thanks!
    23.8mm?

I think you meant 23.8 INCHES?

If so, the ML's TT in Medium is 23.25 and you're RIGHT in between sizes, being half inch from either the Large and Medium. At least you're 13mm away from your ideal TT size... If you get a medium and your ideal TT size comes with a 90mm stem to get the proper reach, you'd need a 110 stem.... which is not bad, but may start giving you handling issues.

You'd rather test ride, I think. Your ideal numbers may be just that... ideal, but maybe in the practice, the real ML would suit you better/worst than you think.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Umm..23.8mm would be a bit tough to ride, wouldn't it?

"El Whatever"
    Not with a 25 inches stem and a head angle of like 15 degrees... you'd need an 888 to keep the wheelbase in check.
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    LOL.

I would get a medium. (except I already have one!)

Keep in mind the medium has a 19" seat tube, compared to the 5-spots 17" seat tube.

I'm 5'-9" and ride a medium with a 70 or 90 stem (currently experiementing) and the medium is perfect. I have very long legs for my height- I can ride most 6'+ riders bikes comfortabley without needing to lower the saddle. In fact, this is why I ruled out the 5-spot early on, the medium's seat tube is too short and their large is too long for me. So the titus fit is perfect. You are taller and you could easily run a longer stem if you want a more XC position.

Make sure to compare head tube lengths and think about where you want your bars height wise. You can always run spacers to raise them if your fork is long enough.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    LOL. I can ride most 6'+ riders bikes comfortabley without needing to lower the saddle.
    Cool FM, you can ride my ExoGrid ML in Fruita then, I can blast yours with the AM1..

YEAH HA......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    I'm 5'-9" and ride a medium with a 70 or 90 stem (currently experiementing) and the medium is perfect. I have very long legs for my height- I can ride most 6'+ riders bikes comfortabley without needing to lower the saddle.
    FM... I'm 5'9" too. Very long inseam too. I'm around 32" inseam (actually I use 30W 32L trousers comfortably but sometimes I wish for 33L)

Only difference is I weigh a lame 10 stones (140 pounds or 64 kilos) and I ride a Switchblade in Medium which is fairly similar in geo.

I find the cockpit a tad long with the 95mm stem I have and I'm wishing for a 90mm one. With 90mm it should be a perfect fit for me.
    Check my Site

FM
    luxatio erecta
    OT sorry, but I have to say I rode my motolite in Fruita (Joe's ridge/ zippety-do-dah) and Grand Junction (holy cross) in April and I was totally stoked. The motolite is the perfect bike for those kinds of trails.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey, I want paint but not crap paint. In that case, I'll take Ano

This sizing issue is a tough one. What would I lose if I got a Medium and ran a setback seatpost. Would I lose some pedaling effeciency? Would I effectively shorten the seat stays? What would that do to the ride?

With a Turner, I would want to go with a Large since the TT is 23.9 BUT the wheelbase is 24.7. That is a LONG bike for sure.
    With a ML, the seatpost height on the Large ML is high while the TT is a bit long.
    With the Medium, the TT is a bit short while everything else is fine.

Dammit, I do seem to be over-analyzing this and I can afford a Ti frame, nor do I want one. My head is bursting.

Quote Originally Posted by budgie
    That's a tough one. Are you looking to match the reach on your Flux? I'm a little taller than you (a bit under 6'1"), and am very comfortable on a large with a no-setback seat (the saddle scooted slightly forward of center) and 110mm stem (I could even go to 120mm). That's 28" horizontal from seatpost to handlebars. It's not an upright position, but not a stretched out XC racer fit either. There's plenty of seatpost showing and standover to spare, and I've never been bothered by the tall headtube as others have been. If you're okay with the prospect of running a 90 or 100mm stem (I seem to remember you're of the XC persuasion), then I'd say go for the large. However, if you're looking for a more upright AM bike, a medium might be less risky and give you more flexibility, since you could always install a long stem and a setback post for a longer feel.

Given the choice, I'd rather have an anodized frame. The paint isn't the best ever, and this is probably the #1 complaint of ML owners. But hey, if you WANT paint, then you're in luck. The matte dark grey is baddass!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005

Flyer

I might be able to help ya.

I'm currently riding a large '05 Turner Flux as well. I'm just slightly over 5' 11" with maybe a little longer than average legs and arms. I recently bought a large '05 Motolite and while I've only ridden it 3 times I think I have it dialed in pretty good or at least I will have it dialed in when I change some components.

The Moto came with a flat handle bar and a 120 mm stem. This combo stretches me out a little more than I like. I can feel it due to the Moto's geometry. To compensate I've had to move my seat almost all the way forward. Even so, setup this way the large fits and rides extremely well. I was afraid it wouldn't climb like my Flux, but it is just as good and maybe better in the tough technical stuff. My Flux is a GREAT descender but again I have to give the nod to the Moto - it just puts a smile on your face. You'll know what I mean after a few rides. I've done 3 rides like I said. Ride #1 was a long uphilI fire road just to give me a feel for it. You can immediately feel how it differs from the Flux. The second ride was a tough technical climb with a ton of tight switchbacks and of course the return downhill. When I got to the bottom I decided to sell the Flux, that's how great the Moto performed. Tonight I did ride #3; a twisty technical single track. I was looking to see if the Moto wasn't snappy enough. This bike is just what people say - a great trail bike. Nimble and swift. So as you can see I'm very content with the large. After I change to a low rise bar and 100mm stem I think it will be perfect. Would the medium have fit me? Maybe, but I think I would have had less options to tweak the cockpit to my tastes. The large doesn't inhibit me from moving the bike almost instantly in whatever direction the line demands. Also, keep in mind the extra TT length and wheel base of a large will make for a more stable downhill ride.

The Flux is a geat bike but my riding style has progressed more aggressively so I need the extra suspension and rigidity of the Moto.

Bob

mtbr member
    My friend who is 5'11" bought medium with 100mm stem and it's a perfect fit for him. He tends to have shorter inseam for his height, so a large would have caused some issues with clearance for him.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Very good info. Okay, a custom Exogrid is out unless I sell the Flux and maybe rent out the dog to people who want to how what it feels like to care for a high-maintenance Boxer who thinks she's human.

The tall seattube is a plus on the Medium. I think the Turner is out because of the long wheelbase of the Large. That is the ONLY think I don't like about the Spot. Otherwise, it would be a great bike for me too. The long wheelbase issue is not guess. Many others have said it feels to long for tight Singletrack. A .5 degree less slack and .5 inch shorter wheelbase would make that a great bike in all terrain.

Back to the ML, I constantly go from Medium to Large. This keeps happening and I'm going to have to fall back into the lap of the 575 or just go nuts and buy an Intense 5.5 and keep my fingers crossed.

Edit- not sure why I mentioned the Intense- prob because someone asked about it yesterday. I'd get the Ellsworth Epi before the Intense
    Last edited by Flyer; 08-11-2006 at 07:34 AM.

"El Whatever"
    Very good info. Okay, a custom Exogrid is out unless I sell the Flux and maybe rent out the dog to people who want to how what it feels like to care for a high-maintenance Boxer who thinks she's human.

The tall seattube is a plus on the Medium. I think the Turner is out because of the long wheelbase of the Large. That is the ONLY think I don't like about the Spot. Otherwise, it would be a great bike for me too. The long wheelbase issue is not guess. Many others have said it feels to long for tight Singletrack. A .5 degree less slack and .5 inch shorter wheelbase would make that a great bike in all terrain.

Back to the ML, I constantly go from Medium to Large. This keeps happening and I'm going to have to fall back into the lap of the 575 or just go nuts and buy an Intense 5.5 and keep my fingers crossed.

Edit- not sure why I mentioned the Intense- prob because someone asked about it yesterday. I'd get the Ellsworth Epi before the Intense

Flyer... Go with whatever is the best in geometry for you.

The way I see it, it doesn't matter how good a bike is if it doesn't fits properly.

Titus bikes have a very good geometry, but I must accept sometimes is kinda odd and not suitable to everyone. So, if your next bike is doomed not to be a Titus... it doesn't really matter. If you happen to get a Titus that doesn't fit... you'll be a disgruntled (sp?) ex-titus owner in a short time.

Generally, I'd get a bike based on the TT. The seat tube is important, but only if you want to lower the saddle a lot or if it interferes with standover. the high seat post lenght on the ML (IMHO) does not interfere with standover clearance, as the TT is really much lower thanks to the bracing that holds the seat tube.

In a nutshell... don't look much at brand name when looking for your perfect bike... Fit, bro. Fit. You're not overthinking it... you're just taking an informed decision.

I know it's kinda difficult with these caliber of bikes, but if you can... test ride them.

Let us know what will be your next ride (doesn't matter if it's a Titus or not, but we'd love to have you hanging around here more often)!
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Well, thanks Warp. That is awful decent of you and I appreciate the request to hang around. If we never had that heated debate about the 575 Vs. ML, I would have never "met" you guys and learned so much about Titus and appreciated them enough to consider buying one.

I will go mainly by the TT measurement. I'm going to call Titus again to see what they say after I take more detailed measurements. Unfortunately, there are no Titus dealers around here. I have a feeling the Medium Titus will fit better than a Medium in any other brand I have talked about.

I usually set my stem with a few spacers since I like the bars a bit high- at least for starters. In fact, my Turner Flux steer tube is cut right at 8.875 I may drop that a bit now that I am getting comfy with the bike. Keeping it high also affects the TT length due to the convergence of the seatpost so a Medium may end up being very tight. Most people will cut their steer tubes at 7"- 8" but I have started to keep it a bit longer. I start at 9" and then go down to no less that 7.875.

Now that I am armed with some more info, it's time to call Titus again. I hope the same guy doesn't pick up. He's going to think I'm a nutjob BUT one told me Medium and the other told me Large

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast