Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30
  1. #1
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715

    Good job! Last day of riding in the US of A this trip

    Had a last ride in Sedona today. Man alive it was hot, some 110F.

    The area of Sedona is a great riding spot. When it is a bit cooler, you could just play around all day with ease. Can go off and climb slickrock, hike a little an decend. An all round great area. And Flagstaff is 40 mins up the road, with totally defferent terrain...

    A few pics from today taken off of a video on the Canon Powershot SD700IS...

    A few odd thoughts I had while driving to these areas...

    - Freaks me out that in the middle of no where in a desert, there are towns popping up. Why do people wish to live in the boon docks in a desert?

    - Why people in America drink Starbucks poop coffee, when you look there is real coffee to be found.

    - Getting a blow out at 95MPH on the front left is an interesting experience to say the least.

    - The US of A is getting expensive for food etc..... Bikes are still real cheap compared to Europe and New Zealand.

    - With all the issues around, cool to still see people in the US of A living the cliché "American dream" Really cool it still exists....

    Am having a year of MTB trips... This is the first one down, next one is the Titus Group Ride, starting in Seattle, moving to Whistler... So roll on July 28th. Flights are booked, rental is booked, so bring it on......

    Thank you to all those that gave pointers etc for riding in Az, very much appreciated..

    Whilst here in Az, I went to at least 20 LBS stores in Tucson, Sedona, Pheonix, Scottsdale & Flagstaff...... 1st and Best by far is Bike n Bean (Sedona) 2nd place is Mountian Bike Heaven (Sedona) ................ Some were beyond a joke , some were ok.... Have to say, the shops that were stocking Specialized have lost the plot in my humble opinion......... Specialized wants their cake, and want to eat it to........... Not a good model in my view. The people pull back when a company wants their name on everything to do with a topic......... i.e. your frame, shock, forks, gloves, shoes, socks, shorts etc etc etc etc etc, what BS.....

    See you round like a giant see you round thing.....

    Last shot, "the rock pose from Sedona"
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Whafe; 06-18-2007 at 10:42 PM.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  2. #2
    Veni Vidi Vici
    Reputation: barelylegal's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    995
    again, those are really nice pics.... Whafe your so lucky youve ridden to all those places and to think it is just a start of your Whafe MTB tour 07! Lucky bloke indeed

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Coolio Whafe

    On with Whafe MTB tour 07 !~!

  4. #4
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Had a last ride in Sedona today. Man alive it was hot, some 110F.

    The area of Sedona is a great riding spot. When it is a bit cooler, you could just play around all day with ease. Can go off and climb slickrock, hike a little an decend. An all round great area. And Flagstaff is 40 mins up the road, with totally defferent terrain...

    A few pics from today taken off of a video on the Canon Powershot SD700IS...

    A few odd thoughts I had while driving to these areas...

    - Freaks me out that in the middle of no where in a desert, there are towns popping up. Why do people wish to live in the boon docks in a desert?


    - Getting a blow out at 95MPH on the front left is an interesting experience to say the least.

    - The US of A is getting expensive for food etc..... Bikes are still real cheap compared to Europe and New Zealand.

    - With all the issues around, cool to still see people in the US of A living the cliché "American dream" Really cool it still exists....

    Am having a year of MTB trips... This is the first one down, next one is the Titus Group Ride, starting in Seattle, moving to Whistler... So roll on July 28th. Flights are booked, rental is booked, so bring it on......

    Thank you to all those that gave pointers etc for riding in Az, very much appreciated..

    Whilst here in Az, I went to at least 20 LBS stores in Tucson, Sedona, Pheonix, Scottsdale & Flagstaff...... 1st and Best by far is Bike n Bean (Sedona) 2nd place is Mountian Bike Heaven (Sedona) ................ Some were beyond a joke , some were ok.... Have to say, the shops that were stocking Specialized have lost the plot in my humble opinion......... Specialized wants their cake, and want to eat it to........... Not a good model in my view. The people pull back when a company wants their name on everything to do with a topic......... i.e. your frame, shock, forks, gloves, shoes, socks, shorts etc etc etc etc etc, what BS.....

    See you round like a giant see you round thing.....

    Last shot, "the rock pose from Sedona"
    nice final post Whafe..

    however, I resent this

    - Why people in America drink Starbucks poop coffee, when you look there is real coffee to be found.
    A big chunk of starbuck's coffee comes from CR and this is good coffee... only stuff I drink.. I have to carry a good 12 months of coffee in my suitcases every time I go home.. because the other stuff is very expensive and not near as good... (I don't pay Starbucks price though )

  5. #5
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    A big chunk of starbuck's coffee comes from CR and this is good coffee... only stuff I drink.. I have to carry a good 12 months of coffee in my suitcases every time I go home.. because the other stuff is very expensive and not near as good... (I don't pay Starbucks price though )
    Oh, don't take offense... Starsucks also gets a lot of coffe from Mexico and to be honest, they pay a bit more than average to producers.

    However, it's not about the grain. It's also the way they brew it... and there's where they fail.

    Yeah, CR's coffee is sweet...

    We have a project going on there and fellow coworkers often bring some of those coffee candies. Yummy!!!


    Whafe... Cool writing and cool of you sharing those sweet pics!
    Check my Site

  6. #6
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Oh, don't take offense... Starsucks also gets a lot of coffe from Mexico and to be honest, they pay a bit more than average to producers.

    However, it's not about the grain. It's also the way they brew it... and there's where they fail.

    Yeah, CR's coffee is sweet...
    didn't mean to come across that offended... it is just that from what I have seen them do in CR, I definitely don't see Starbucks as the "evil corp"... they pay the producers well for quality coffee and the coffee, as they sell it, is not all that bad (but sure there are some better ways to brew it )... you can definitely find a lot worst coffee in the US
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    We have a project going on there and fellow coworkers often bring some of those coffee candies. Yummy!!!


    those coffee candies sure are something

  7. #7
    mbabaracus
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    - Why people in America drink Starbucks poop coffee, when you look there is real coffee to be found.
    In my experience, poop is less bitter than starbucks coffee...

  8. #8
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by mbabaracus
    In my experience, poop is less bitter than starbucks coffee...
    Starbucks sources beans from so many different places and goes through soooo much product that to get a consistent taste they must over-roast their beans. This over-roasting creates an extremely bitter flavor in their drip product. IMO, they are too big to produce a delicate drip coffee. I've been roasting my own beans for years and beans often produce different flavors from batch to batch.

    I prefer smaller/local roasters. It's usually fresher and they have more control of the end product. That being said, I will drink mixed coffee drinks at Starbucks. They have the most consistently trained baristas anywhere and rarely burn the soy in my latte.
    Extreme stationary biker.

  9. #9
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    I prefer smaller/local roasters. It's usually fresher and they have more control of the end product. That being said, I will drink mixed coffee drinks at Starbucks. They have the most consistently trained baristas anywhere and rarely burn the soy in my latte.
    To be honest, I don't have a pretty good taste. I couldn't tell the nuances over different grains, brewing and such, but yet, I don't like Starbuck's coffee.

    We have very bad places to drink coffee too...

    But hanging around with Italians and Colombians gets you in "the ballpark" of what good coffee should be.
    Check my Site

  10. #10
    Where is my mind?
    Reputation: Cyclopod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,130
    That's awesome. I was in Sedona about 4 years ago. Incredible country. I didn't ride MTB then, we just hiked it back then. I keep wondering what it would have been like if I did. I'll be out there some day.

    I recognize the Bell Rock, but what's the name of the other, huge rock formation by the center of your map?

    Okay, I something about having a blowout in the front tire at 95MPH??
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

    - Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

  11. #11
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715
    Hola All

    The coffee comment I made, was nto to offend or has anythign to do with the beans. Nothing to do with that, just the fact they couldnt brew a good coffee if it bit them onthe ass.

    I dont think they know what a barista truly is..... I then looked on dictionary.com, check this out, made me piss my pants with laughter. the part in bold...

    Main Entry: barista
    Part of Speech: n
    Definition: a person who works at the counter of a coffee shop; a coffee bar server
    Example: He plans to become a barista at Starbucks.
    Etymology: 1982; Ital
    Usage: pl. baristi

    So know I was not knocking the beans etc, just the shiat coffee, over extracted, burnt milk, etc, should I go on. Oh and coffees the size of gallon cans.

    Cyclopod, that large one is Courthouse Butte, the other large one is Cathedral Rock...You must ride that area for sure......
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  12. #12
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,690
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Okay, I something about having a blowout in the front tire at 95MPH??
    Yeah... it's that speed legal anywhere but an autobahn in Germany?

    Arizona is not in Germany, right?
    Check my Site

  13. #13
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715
    Oh yes the BLOWOUT!

    I was driving to Az, and yes was cruising a little quick. With the flow mind you. So sorry speed police....

    I saw all this rubber littering the roads, amazing. I was thinking, I had never had a blow out. And not 10 mins later, Boom. No panic from the Whafe though, little evasive action and pulled over. Changed the tire which was fukked totally.

    Had to get 2 new tires

    No biggie, just a new experience.......

    Some here drive like it is the autobahn..
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  14. #14
    Get out of town!
    Reputation: Ridin'Dirty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,442
    This "Coffee Talk" reminded of a program I watched on PBS a while back about fair trade coffee.

    http://www.transfairusa.org/content/about/n_070522.php

    http://www.transfairusa.org/?gclid=C...FRVNTAodiWKY0Q
    "You can't discern by calculating in your mind how it will work. You have to feel how it rides differently to understand."

  15. #15
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Yeah... it's that speed legal anywhere but an autobahn in Germany?

    Arizona is not in Germany, right?
    there are long segments of road on the desert where no cop will be around for miles... so for practical purposes it is like Germany (My dad spent lots of time at Intel in AZ and loved speeding on those )
    Last edited by crisillo; 06-19-2007 at 12:00 PM.

  16. #16
    Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Reputation: crisillo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    20,761
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe

    The coffee comment I made, was nto to offend or has anythign to do with the beans. Nothing to do with that, just the fact they couldnt brew a good coffee if it bit them onthe ass.
    No worries, Whafe.... I understand how valuable a good coffee can be

  17. #17
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    there are long segments of road on the desert where no cop will be arouznd for miles... so for practical purposes it is like Germany (My dad spent lots of time at Intel in AZ and loved speeding on those )
    Yes, thank you Cris, I feel much better....
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Starbucks sources beans from so many different places and goes through soooo much product that to get a consistent taste they must over-roast their beans. This over-roasting creates an extremely bitter flavor in their drip product. IMO, they are too big to produce a delicate drip coffee. I've been roasting my own beans for years and beans often produce different flavors from batch to batch.

    I prefer smaller/local roasters. It's usually fresher and they have more control of the end product. That being said, I will drink mixed coffee drinks at Starbucks. They have the most consistently trained baristas anywhere and rarely burn the soy in my latte.
    poofta

  19. #19
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    poofta
    You're just jealous, cause I've got the Talas...
    Extreme stationary biker.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    You're just jealous, cause I've got the Talas...
    call me but I'd like a 55, but would settle for an 08 36 Talas (much more stiffer, lighter, and sexier than those who have obsolete 07 models)

  21. #21
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,378

    For Real!...

    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    call me but I'd like a 55, but would settle for an 08 36 Talas (much more stiffer, lighter, and sexier than those who have obsolete 07 models)

    I don't know how people used to use those old ass 07's.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,212
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I don't know how people used to use those old ass 07's.
    I think they hang them on the wall ?~?


    What I really want is an 06 Z1 Light ... where .... where.... where ?~?

    I now realise I was stupid dumb for not getting one...

  23. #23
    Bike to the Bone...
    Reputation: rzozaya1969's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    8,291
    Hey Whafe..

    Nice trip you made. Come to Mexico sometime, I think you'll like it. We even have Starbucks and McDonalds

    I also have that camera (SD 700), pretty nice camera for the package.

    I really am jealous, I still can't ride trails (I've done urban runs, but it doesn't compare to trails).

  24. #24
    Trophy Husband
    Reputation: geolover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,991
    Quote Originally Posted by All Mountain
    I now realise I was stupid dumb for not getting one...
    Yes, stupid dumb is what you are...

    I'm sure you can find a used one for 750 US somewhere...wish I could have found one too.


    I think they hang them on the wall ?~?
    Build pictures soon...
    Extreme stationary biker.

  25. #25
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,715
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    Hey Whafe..

    Nice trip you made. Come to Mexico sometime, I think you'll like it. We even have Starbucks and McDonalds

    I also have that camera (SD 700), pretty nice camera for the package.

    I really am jealous, I still can't ride trails (I've done urban runs, but it doesn't compare to trails).
    Yep, know that healing waiting thing, real hard, but worth it... Just remember I broke my shoulder the second time, on around my second ride after surgery. Wait it is well worth it...

    The camera ia a little ripper for the package, my 3rd canon SD type. Just has a decent shutter speed, most point and shoots dont...

    Yep, Mexico at some stage for sure...
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •