"Its All Good"

Lads, your thoughts????

If you WERE to get a Ti 29er SS rigid. Would you go for a bling ExoGrid, or go for a painted Lynskey Ti frame.................. I am loving the Exogrid, but these Lynskey frames look the bomb..................... The team there have been super helpful to me.

Your honest thoughts please....

http://lynskeyperformance.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    If you WERE to get a Ti 29er SS rigid. Would you go for a bling ExoGrid, or go for a painted Lynskey Ti frame.................. I am loving the Exogrid, but these Lynskey frames look the bomb..................... The team there have been super helpful to me.

Your honest thoughts please....
    You know you want an Exo or a Jones...

Is a nice Chromoly frame out of the question? Steel is as sexy as Ti... just not the best thing for a Full Suspension bike. But it would be in my list for a 29 SS (or a 69'er)
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    You know you want an Exo or a Jones...

Is a nice Chromoly frame out of the question? Steel is as sexy as Ti... just not the best thing for a Full Suspension bike. But it would be in my list for a 29 SS (or a 69'er)
    Yeah a Jones would be nice, you cannot order htem anymore, to long a wait. And they make the ExoGrid seem cheap, those Jones are up there and some I hear... Dam Beautiful though.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

searcher
    This Linskey looks nice, but when would you use it?
    I can understand having a roadbike next to the ML, and I can understand having a long travel freeride bike next to the ML. But honestly I dont know where I would take my hardtail where I cannot ride my ML.. Just my honest opinion. Because you asked for it.
    Kovi

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by kovi
    This Linskey looks nice, but when would you use it?
    I can understand having a roadbike next to the ML, and I can understand having a long travel freeride bike next to the ML. But honestly I dont know where I would take my hardtail where I cannot ride my ML.. Just my honest opinion. Because you asked for it.
    Kove indeed you are right, when would I use it, soem training rides. Love the roadie, but see it purely as a training ride, do not enjoy the riding like I do a mtb..............Also I want a 29 inch wheel bike, and that a 29 like a ML would not be possible, 26 inch wheels are still the business for a bike capable as the ML...

Keep the discussion going, and I do appreciate your honest opinion...

searcher
    Yeah a 29er....thats right. I would try one of those for sure. I am not a tall guy , so I dont think I would see a lot of advantages for myself.
    Kovi

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    Whafe,

As Warp mentioned, don't throw the steel option out the window... I have a steel SS and really like it (cheap frame - Zion 853 from Jenson). The ride is very, very nice, so I can only imagine what a more expensive frame could be like. I have never had Ti bike though, so I can't compare it.

Cheers,
    Cris

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by crisillo
    Whafe,

As Warp mentioned, don't throw the steel option out the window... I have a steel SS and really like it (cheap frame - Zion 853 from Jenson). The ride is very, very nice, so I can only imagine what a more expensive frame could be like. I have never had Ti bike though, so I can't compare it.

Cheers,
    Cris
    For sure nto tossing the thought of a steel frame out the window. Am at the early investigation side of things. Without a doubt I will get a SS at some stage. The main point I was making the Lynskey frames look beautiful, but would seem a shame to paint a Ti frame to me. Others ???

I would haev no problem painting up a Steel frame no worries at all...............

mtbr member
    I'd get a Castellano Silk Ti welded by Steve Potts.
    It's custom and it's a soft tail and you can get it painted.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Braids
    I'd get a Castellano Silk Ti welded by Steve Potts.
    It's custom and it's a soft tail and you can get it painted.
    Dont want a soft tail single speed, want a hard tail....................

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Paint schemes can go out of style or just start to look bland.

Exogrid won't.

Ever.

....bastard

mtbr member

Try Carl Strong

Hey Whafe,

looking for something a bit different, HT, SS, 29er!

There's a few people in the Custom Forum and the rigid fourm with Strong frames in the queue. There a Ti 29er heading to NZ as well, alas it's not for me.

If you want a painted frame, I'd go with steel, I don't see any point in painting titanium except for vanity :-)

Check out these nice paragon sliding dropouts on this frame in the 29er fourm
    Almost Finished.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong Ti
    Hey Whafe,

looking for something a bit different, HT, SS, 29er!

There's a few people in the Custom Forum and the rigid fourm with Strong frames in the queue. There a Ti 29er heading to NZ as well, alas it's not for me.

If you want a painted frame, I'd go with steel, I don't see any point in painting titanium except for vanity :-)

Check out these nice paragon sliding dropouts on this frame in the 29er fourm
    Almost Finished.
    am with you, painting a Ti frame is like painting a John Deere tractor purple. No go.........Am open to many suggestions, still in the early phase of investigation... So keep the frame suggestions coming

"El Whatever"
    Steel is real, mate!

Ti is really nice, but you could have a top-drawer steel frame for the fraction of the cost of a Ti frame. Which will be good now you'll have more expenses.

As other have mentioned, if you go steel, get the best powdercoating money could buy.

However, I'm rethinking my suggestion of a steel bike... you live in Barza, where there's too much heat, humidity and salt in the air... that'll play against steel in the long run.

Ti will last longer with less worries.
    Check my Site

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    Steel is real, mate!

Ti is really nice, but you could have a top-drawer steel frame for the fraction of the cost of a Ti frame. Which will be good now you'll have more expenses.

As other have mentioned, if you go steel, get the best powdercoating money could buy.

However, I'm rethinking my suggestion of a steel bike... you live in Barza, where there's too much heat, humidity and salt in the air... that'll play against steel in the long run.

Ti will last longer with less worries.
    mmmmmmmmmmmmm my mind is racing re this. Need to play it cool, need to concentrate on this trip to ride Fruita atc

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Do you really want fully rigid or a HT?
    Just to bug you with more options... go dig up the thread on Padre's Desalvo Ti 29er. Very nice looking bike. I tinkered with some other folks' 29er SS on different rides and went with a deal I got on a GF Rig. Not a fully rigid like you're talking about but a nice introduction to the SS and 29er world. Lots of fun and a very different style of riding. Othe bike is a SB.
    Now I'm contemplating the idea of a custom/"blingier"? SS. Strong, DeSalvo, Retrotech...a lot of cool options.
    The idea of a TI FCR SS 29er hmmm, I like the option of the swapable der hanger so you can switch to a gearie if needed.
    Keep us posted as you go along.
    Don't harsh my mello

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whafe
    Dont want a soft tail single speed, want a hard tail....................
    If getting a hardtail, why get an Exogrid? I thought that the Exogrid is a bit stiffer than Ti, and I'd rather have a bit more flex in the frame when riding a hardtail.

I'd vote for a custom Eleven in Ti with the replaceable dropouts. Schwweet!!

Soma makes some inexpensive steel 29er frames too.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Let's ride SuperModerator
    Kent Eriksen, or BlackSheep seem to be making the best custom Ti 29er frames right now. For me, Eriksen would be first.

Eriksen
    BS
    Carl Strong
    Moots

I love my SIR9, but i see all those parts flying over to a Ti SS frame some day soon.

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by rensho
    Kent Eriksen, or BlackSheep seem to be making the best custom Ti 29er frames right now. For me, Eriksen would be first.

Eriksen
    BS
    Carl Strong
    Moots

I love my SIR9, but i see all those parts flying over to a Ti SS frame some day soon.

mmmmmmmmm Black Sheep I like, I am a kiwi from New Zealand, so like the thought of a sheep bike