mtbr member

Kirkwood Super D

Or as many were calling it, "Sketchy D". Raced the Sierra Cup Kirkwood Super D last weekend up at Kirkwood Ski Resort. It was a best of two runs format. The course was super dry and loose with a fireroad runout with baby heads everywhere. I took one practice run on my standard setup and decided I was going to blow a tire or dent a rim at race speed. I brought the MTX 31/Hope wheels, with a DH High Roller 2 and DHF mounted, from my freeride bike because I had a feeling conditions would be like that. I mounted those up and took a second practice run and felt much better, at least I knew I had some rubber under me and I wouldnt pinch flat. I unofficially finished fourth in Men's Sport. First run was 9:18 and I totally blew a corner. 9:11 was third place, 9:10 was second. Guy in first was 8:50 ish. Open guys & experts were in the low 8's, winning Open run was 7:55 I believe? I still havent seen the official results, those were the standings after Sport class was run as I had to leave to get home. I managed a 9:12 in the second run, I ended up in the wrong gear at 3:30, I completely forgot to get in the right gear before that little climb and I really felt the extra 3 lbs of wheel/tire on the short little climbs, I think I could have made up 3 seconds if I hadnt been in the wrong gear.

Kirkwood Super D from Craig Manning on Vimeo.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Kirkwood Super D-p1020847.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Nice bike! (building posts to create new thread).

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

OT which thule you have there, you like?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr View Post
    I really felt the extra 3 lbs of wheel/tire on the short little climbs
    I specifically bought/built my early-gen EG frame to handle the local "DH" resort yet continually take the rig out for full-on XC rides instead... the thing rides and climbs VERY WELL for a 33lb bike! And I'm running a 38t single-ring set-up and non pro-pedal shock... not exactly XC friendly, but, the uphills here are short and it makes my legs stronger. My local Super D race schedule was cancelled this year, I was pissed huge, never got to try it!

721 rims, 32 front/36 rear straight-gauge spokes, brass nips, Hadley hubs... not exactly light by any means. Add coil springs front & rear and some other more burly parts and it's well over 30 pounds easily. No one could catch me on a super-technical XC ride the other weekend... and my buddies on giant Rocky Mountain Flatline rental DH bikes could only barely hang with me on the whimpy DH runs! 2.5" Minions for the DH, 2.1" Nevegals for the XC, camping, lake, fire, beer & bbq...

El Guapo does it all, it just makes you work for it sorry craigstr just wanted to share some pictars sketchy or not, at least you have some proper elevation out there! Jealous for sure!

also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

mtbr member

Older T2

Quote Originally Posted by DeerhillJ View Post

OT which thule you have there, you like?
    Its been bombproof over the years.

mtbr member
    Hey quick question- hows your DSP seatpost so far?