mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Just scored a new '08 RX-1

Hey guys, first post here on the Titus board. I'm from Long Island and took a trip today to Campmor on Rt 17 in northern NJ. First time there, I was basically window-shopping, and picked up a couple of things from their huge camping/hiking departments. Then my buddy and I checked out the bikes. I was asking one of the guys there to bring down a nice Kona that was part of a Yakima display when we noticed this gorrrrgeous Titus hanging out with some other bikes with discount tags on them. It's a 2008, brand new, Titus RX-1. I've been doing tons of research lately on new bikes but I honestly never looked into Titus, out of my price range. This one was originally $2400, knocked down to $1699. Really nice components, Fox front and rear shocks, Kenda Nevegals, the right size for me and everything. Beautiful color reminds me Ford's Grabber Blue.

Went ahead and bought the bike. I need to get some pedals, either a pair of new SPD's or maybe CB Candy's, and a new bike computer. I'm psyched about it, can't wait to start riding this thing. So for someone with basically no knowledge of Titus bikes, how'd I do? I think this will be a great bike for me for many years. I was looking for a huge upgrade from my 2000 Specialized Hardrock, and I've definitely got a huge upgrade here.

Nightriding rules SuperModerator
    nice ride and great deal!

NOT Team Sanchez
    the blue is coo !!!!!!
    I like bikes.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks guys -

Can you tell me, is Titus a very low-volume manufacturer? I've read about them before in magazines and stuff but I've never seen one in a shop or on a trail before. And low and behold, the first and only one I've seen in person - I buy the damend thing.

Ti is addictive
    Depends on your definition of low volume.....I'm guessing probably a few thousand frames a year give or take. In the bike industry I think that's more small-medium.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Bike Addiction
    Welcome to the club! I'm a newbie myself. I bought my first 4 months ago. Enjoy. Great buy too. My build was about $2500.00 and worth it. You won't know what you have untill you get used to it and then ride another brand of bike. Thats when I could tell a big difference in Titus. Your right about the Blue. I had a 1976 Maverick Grabber edition (302) and the stripe color was close as I remember it.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

It's a slugfest!

Nice Bloo Bike...

Nice...but you probably bought it because it was "blue" didn't you? Blue bike, blue'ish house.....you'll probably end up with those blue Candy pedals too....
    "I've got nothing to hoard...."

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Definitely a huge upgrade. You are gonna love it.

searcher
    Welcome to the club! Enjoy your ride!
    Kovi

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Next step

Despite the low price tag, you have a fast thoroughbred bike under you.
    Take some time to dial in the shocks, saddle position, and stem length, as well as tire pressure.
    If you don't have pretty good XC skills, the RacerX can be scary. Practice leaning into the turns. The steeper head angle requires precise steering.
    Maybe hang out with some local sport or expert XC racers to get some instruction.

And remember, even though the Racer X goes fast and stops fast, the laws of gravity and physics still apply to you.
    I hear about a number of folks who crash and burn in the first weeks of owning a new bike.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    It will definitely be fun getting used to the bike. I've never really had a chance to ride a full suspension bike hard at all. Just tried out a friends in a parking lot a couple of times. My old bike has grip-shifters, this has Sram X-7's, old had v-brakes, these are hydraulic discs. I'm not sure if this is lighter than the old one but it may be. I have lots to learn about maintaining a bike of this caliber. Looking forward to it.

Silver Slug, I specifically ordered black/chrome Candies so they wouldn't match the bike perfectly. I don't want the thing to look TOO much like a beauty queen haha, it'll be good and dirty as soon as possible. The house though, yeah - still living at home with my parents until I have a job that'll get me an apartment.

Anybody have a recommendation for a good wireless computer that's a pretty good deal? Looking at all the big discount sites, price point, jenson, and there are so many choices, hoping to get some feedback.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    i picked up an rx-1 in much the same fashion. never had thought i could afford a titus but saw a great deal and threw down. our bikes are pretty much identical save that mine came with magura louise brakes.

i would recommend that you look into proactively upgrading the rear deraileur to an x-9. if you look at the bridge on the x-7, it's simply stamped metal and mine got totally destroyed on the thrid ride.

otherwise, nice bike. you'll be glad they left the steer tube long on the fork.

mtbr member
    Congrats on getting a great bike. Give us a ride report after a few rides. I was looking at the RX-1 a few years ago and never thought I'd own a Titus. Guess what, I focused on my goal and got a Racer X Carbon. Best decision I ever made.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    The bike's all ready to go, installed my computer and pedals a few nights ago. I'm going to leave the stem alone, see how I like it after a few rides. Might end up going with a shorter one, might not. I'm positive I'll cut down the handlebars though. My old Specialized had 23.5" bars, the Titus has 25.5" and they feel/look huge to me. I like them narrower, I'm not a big guy either so it'll fit me better that way.

I'll definitely let you guys know how it rides as soon as I've got some good weather for it. We might be getting a foot of snow tomorrow night and into Wednesday. Can't wait to get the thing good and dirty and take some pictures. The sparkly clean glamor shots are starting to get to me. It needs to be ridden, already, damnit. Soon enough..