Mar 2006

Just finished building up my Motolite

Just finished this last night in the dark. Kind of an odd build I realize, don't think any 2 parts are from the same series:

Frame: Medium 2009 Titus Motolite w/ Fox Float RP2
    Fork: 2004 Fox Vanilla 125RLC
    Headset: Cane Creek S3
    Stem: Raceface Deus XC 90mm 25.4
    Bars: Easton EA50 Mid-Rise
    Brakes: 2008 Avid Juicy 5 6"
    Shifters: 2002 Shimano Deore
    Grips: Oury Lock-Ons
    Front Derailleur: SRAM X9
    Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT
    Chain: SRAM PC-971
    Cassette: SRAM PG-970
    Bottom Bracket: Raceface Signature ISIS XC
    Crankset: Raceface Evolve XC
    Rims: Mavic X3.1 UST
    Hubs: Shimano XT
    Tires: Panaracer FireXC Pro 2.1 UST rear, Kenda Nevegal 2.1 UST front
    Saddle: Performance Forte Pro SLX
    Pedals: Shimano 646 DX platform clipless

mtbr member
    Man, that looks great! I think you will be fine with the 125 Fox. That is basically what the bike was originally designed for and it is the sweet spot

Enjoy and welcome to the club!

Mar 2006
    Well I've gotten it on a few rides. Definitely a fair amount of bob with propedal turned off, more than my downhill bike actually, but doesn't bother me. Hardest part to get used to is the suspension rebounding when you're climbing up a rock garden.

Overall it feels really good to me, very solid feeling, good geometry, love the way it looks and it's definitely a lot more comfortable on longer rides than my hardtail was.

mtbr member
    Interesting...have you experimented with sag and rebound to address your suspension issues?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cchase86
    Well I've gotten it on a few rides. Definitely a fair amount of bob with propedal turned off, more than my downhill bike actually, but doesn't bother me. Hardest part to get used to is the suspension rebounding when you're climbing up a rock garden.

Overall it feels really good to me, very solid feeling, good geometry, love the way it looks and it's definitely a lot more comfortable on longer rides than my hardtail was.

Interesting. What kind of sag are you running and how is your rebound set? I find I can see more shock movement with less rebound. Does not effect me much but I notice it.

Also, this may not make any sense but recently, when I was oiling my chain, I dropped a few drops of teflon lube onto the horst links. I let it sit for a while than wiped it off. I noticed even less shock movement after that. Would not have noticed it but it was quite obvious. Make sense to anybody?

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ebeer
    Interesting...have you experimented with sag and rebound to address your suspension issues?
    I should clarify - I don't consider the rebound on rock gardens to be a problem, just a characteristic of full suspension bikes that I'm not used to (don't pedal sitting down or while riding uphill on my big bike).

Right now the bike is set up (in my opinion) perfectly with about 25% sag.

I really do love the way this thing feels though, the suspension is sooooo smooth.

It's funny, I was growing disenchanted with the Fox fork on my old bike, thought it felt like crap and it feels like a whole new fork on this bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    A real beaute!

I'm curious - did you consider an FTM? If so, what sold you on the motolite instead? Looking at the mfgrs specs there seems to be very little difference between them.

Ultimated Outsider
    nice
    If I disagree with you, it's because you are wrong.

Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyskirt
    A real beaute!

I'm curious - did you consider an FTM? If so, what sold you on the motolite instead? Looking at the mfgrs specs there seems to be very little difference between them.
    Price on the ML would be the selling point.

Lots of differences with the new FTM if you look beyond the geometry.
    All new from front to rear. Built around 140mm travel front shock rather than 130mm.
    5+" rear travel. Keeps the front end on the ground while climbing.
    30.9 seatpost, one piece rocker, lighter.

Read the MBA review. Made me want to switch from my Motolite.

http://titusti.com/07/press/09FTM_Mo...BikeAction.pdf

Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyskirt
    A real beaute!

I actually looked at the FTM and the ML before settling on the ML. Reasons being that it was significantly less money, I liked the way the ML looked and felt more than the FTM (I personally think the FTM is a little... odd looking), I already had a decent 5" fork I wanted to use on my new frame, and because if I was going to look at a bike that was built around a 6" fork I was going for a Yeti 575, not an FTM.

Also I built the bike up basically to be a longer travel trail bike and I felt the FTM was getting close to the EG "all-mountain" (whatever that means) designation. The curved tubes on the FTM didn't really do it for me though, reminded me too much of the Specialized look.