Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 71
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    383

    Issues with the Motolite

    I was flicking through another forum last night and someone raised a few issues:

    - Firstly: one person suggested that the derailleur hangers on Motolites are very flimsy and break easily.

    - Secondly: The design of the Motolite suspension actually make the Horst link a waste of time as the angle of the rocker arm and the shock do not allow the linkage to work efficiently.

    Is any of this true? Or is it the opinions of a couch scientist who actually knows nothing about the bike itself.

    Thanks.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,396

    As to point # 2....

    Quote Originally Posted by mikey74
    I was flicking through another forum last night and someone raised a few issues:

    - Firstly: one person suggested that the derailleur hangers on Motolites are very flimsy and break easily.

    - Secondly: The design of the Motolite suspension actually make the Horst link a waste of time as the angle of the rocker arm and the shock do not allow the linkage to work efficiently.

    Is any of this true? Or is it the opinions of a couch scientist who actually knows nothing about the bike itself.

    Thanks.
    I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about the way the motolites ride be people who have actually ridden them. Most people absolutely love the suspension.

    The der. hanger? No idea, but I'd certainly rather have it break than the der.

    Dave

  3. #3
    ಠ_ಠ
    Reputation: dulyebr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,192
    #1 is a new one on me. I've never heard or experienced that.

    #2 Yea, there's a guy that goes by Steve from JH who might be an engineer. He and other propeller heads debate bike suspension all the time. He's never even ridden the MotoLite. Apparently, he's basing is OPINION based solely only his analysis using some bike linkage software.

    I'm sure he's a smart guy, but he's a bit a Troll and bad-mouths a lot of bikes. He rides an Ellsworth ID, which has been disparaged as being awkward, and is no long being made. I'm sure the ID must look really good on the linkage software, but the real world application is what really matters. Whafe, anything to offer?

    The other guy who talks a lot about linkage is a guy named Derby, and he has actually demoed the MotoLite and really liked it.

    Check out this thread

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    996
    I don't know if I would call the RD hanger flimsy, but there have been a few people who have bent their RD hanger. If you are riding technical rocky terrain there is a greater chance of bending a RD hanger. I do not view the RD hanger as a problem.

    I have never heard anything regarding the inefficiency of the ML suspension. I have ridden alot of different bikes and the ML as well as the Racer X 100 suspension works great!

  5. #5
    Hueston Woods Trail Crew
    Reputation: Bikerbob.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,847

    Hanger upgrade

    Titus revamped the derailleur hanger this year to be more resistant to breakage, but still ready to sacrifice itself to save the frame/derailleur.
    Good time to pick up a spare.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,352

    Well then

    As far as point one goes, yes I have bent a few aluminum Der hangers without even crashing. Right now I have a stainless steel one on there and havent had any problems. I know the stainless one is questionable due to possible dropout damage if I ever did crash, but I have crashed once in the last five years, so I will take my chances. I even went as far as putting a "Hanger Banger" on there, but I took it off after I flatted on the trail and it was a royal pain taking the wheel off.
    As far as point two goes, my opinion would be that if the suspension design isnt utilizing the Horst Link design to its fullest, then Titus should redesign the bike without the HL and quit paying on the FSR patent to the big "S", because the design works beautifully.

  7. #7
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,278
    Both are total crap points imho.

    the hanger is fine, I have yet to break one. It's the same hanger as I had on my switchblade which I owned for 2 years, it's a good design. Much better than turners' imho, as it uses 5mm bolts instead of easy to strip smaller screws.

    As for the suspension design.... what?

  8. #8
    Do It Yourself
    Reputation: Homebrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    5,721
    The hanger is the same one Titus has been using on thousands of bike over the years. The aluminum version has been "improved" recently. I haven't tried the latest revision. I rode the stainless steel hanger for a couple years and it worked great.

    Don't believe everything you read on the internet (including this post). The geometry numbers do look a little funky on paper but the bike rides fantastic. I don't know if it's the right bike for you but it's definitely worth of consideration. Almost all of the high-end bikes ride well so fit should be your primary focus. So find a demo and form your own opinion.

    Now make a wish. If you forward this thread to 10 of your friends, it will come true.
    Long Live Long Rides

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    52
    As a motolite owner i feel that i am qualitifed to answer this one. My hanger has been fine, although my riding buddy who has a RX has had two break and they are the same hanger.

    As for the second point again this is correct. On a bike like an original spcalized FSR the upper link had the affect of counter roating the seat stays compared to the motion of the chainstay. this meant that the axle path was more vertical.

    On the moto lite this is not the case as though the travel the top link pulls the seatstay forards and back meaning that the hub axle goes forards as well. The axle path of the moto lite is very similar to a single pivot, but since the horst link is there there is less pedal feedback.

    Saying all this it sill rides great and thats all that matter really.

    Stuart

  10. #10
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,826
    I have the same hanger on my Blade, and so far-so good. I have one spare for when necessity arises, but I have never damaged a hanger.

    On point two... yeah, it will not act like a true FSR, but that's not bad news.

    See, the wheelpath is slightly different... it's a nice wheelpath where the wheel has nice bump absortion on the initial part of the travel and then directs towards the rider for mistake proof handling by keeping your weight centered over the bike without changing the weight bias drastically deep into the stroke.

    While it has a bit more brake feedback than an FSR or ICT, it's not a bad thing, really.

    See... I came off a Giant Warp (crappy mid-monopivot). Then I got onto the Blade (true HL-FSR). My first descents on the Blade were scary precisely because the FSR does not squat under braking. The suspension is relatively unaffected by braking and this causes more forwards weight bias.

    The Warp had brake-squat... and when facing a steep descent, this is something good. While you sacrifice braking traction, your weight bias doesn't gets affected much by weight shifting due to inertia.

    ICT type suspensions (Pre-TNT Turners, Ellsworths) almost have brake jack. Not caused by the suspension itself, but by the weight shifting and the very little brake squat (your bike tries to pivot around a point in front of the front axle).

    For an aggressive use (like the ML is intended), I'd prefer some brake squat to keep the bike from pitching forwards while braking. BTW... deeper into travel, the ML works more like a true horst (as the Instant Center moves towards the front of the bike). True HL's do the opposite.

    BTW... the most highly regarded suspension systems today (DW-Link, Marin QUAD, FSR) all have instant centers at some point between the BB and the front axle. Only Ellsworth is left with the ICT which has instant centers forwards the front axle.

    Steve insists that he loves that... but IMHO, despite all the calculations and his praising of this system, a bike with an Instant Center that forwards would feel not as good as some bike that has the IC between the BB and the Front Axle.... I mean, do you like a bike that pitches forwards under rear-only braking on steep descents where you use mostly the rear brake? I don't.
    Check my Site

  11. #11
    wg
    wg is offline
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Reputation: wg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    4,060
    Quote Originally Posted by FM
    Both are total crap points imho.

    the hanger is fine, I have yet to break one. It's the same hanger as I had on my switchblade which I owned for 2 years, it's a good design. Much better than turners' imho, as it uses 5mm bolts instead of easy to strip smaller screws.

    As for the suspension design.... what?
    I've gone through two on my Switch over the years and I believe Titus uses the same hanger on all their bikes.
    I always keep a spare hanger in the tool kits and on longer rides take it with me. The reason mine died was hard impact. The hanger bent and derailure didn't nor did the frame. Much cheaper part to replace so it did its job. I've also had them rebent back by the LBS a couple times when shifting issues were traced back to a minor bend. Again, it did its job vs. loosing something costing more $$.

    I don't know squat about the ML except its a nice bike and lotsa ppl dig 'em so .....
    Don't harsh my mello

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GIG EM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by smh151

    On the moto lite this is not the case as though the travel the top link pulls the seatstay forards and back meaning that the hub axle goes forards as well.
    yeah I here U, a sound point. but I think the rate link ( top link) is so short, in comparison to the other link ( swingarm), that this aspect doesn't matter much. seems it would make more of a deal it the rate link was longer. don' t you think? And taking a stroll down memory lane….. the original horst ( AMP) didn't have a rate link. I think the suspension geometry on the ML and RX are not that much fundamentally different then the mac strut AMP type suspension. Which is good in my mind. Sure the rate link moves the seat stay link down maybe almost a quarter inch, but the wheel moves 5 inches and the chain stay moves 2 inches forward..

  13. #13
    ಠ_ಠ
    Reputation: dulyebr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,192
    In fact the ML has a more rearward-compressing path than the 5-Spot while travel is above sag and likely slightly more rearward at sag depending on sag depth than the ICT (monopivot-like) path of the 5-Spot.

    The Specialized FSR path is as you say is nearly all forward curving in path. (Don't understand how either relate very closely to a Dakar except in '02(?)). But a more original Horst link positioning of the pivots such as the ML produce a tighter radius curving path near sag which is more rearward compressing than FSR near the top of travel.

    I demoed a ML and it is remarkably snappy pedaling and just as bump compliant if not better due to less damping required compared to ICT or monopivot 5-Spot. Classic Horst link designs are softer in the seat compliance although snappier pedaling than ICT or equivalent monopivot pedaling design due to the faster (softer) damping and greater pedaling anti-squat. I prefer more aggressive anti-squat suspension geometry with very free bump compliance such as a real Horst link geometry rather than the more firm damper dependant monopivot-like ICT ride of the 5-Spot. But many others prefer firmer damping. I would buy a ML before a 5-Spot.

    S'all good. Have fun. The ride is what matters.



    - ray

  14. #14
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by dulyebr
    #1 is a new one on me. I've never heard or experienced that.

    #2 Yea, there's a guy that goes by Steve from JH who might be an engineer. He and other propeller heads debate bike suspension all the time. He's never even ridden the MotoLite. Apparently, he's basing is OPINION based solely only his analysis using some bike linkage software.

    I'm sure he's a smart guy, but he's a bit a Troll and bad-mouths a lot of bikes. He rides an Ellsworth ID, which has been disparaged as being awkward, and is no long being made. I'm sure the ID must look really good on the linkage software, but the real world application is what really matters. Whafe, anything to offer?

    The other guy who talks a lot about linkage is a guy named Derby, and he has actually demoed the MotoLite and really liked it.

    Check out this thread
    A very interesting one to say the least, Steve from JH is a very bright cookie for sure. I mean that as a compliment to him too. His comments I know will be all in theory, with no practical methodology to it. I will not argue the point from a theory type CAD program, that is not a subject I am up with, many topics I am, but sadly thats not one..........

    To say this though:
    The design of the Motolite suspension actually make the Horst link a waste of time as the angle of the rocker arm and the shock do not allow the linkage to work efficiently. to me is a crazy comment.

    From a practical point of view, I have owned a severly BLING Id & now own a severly bling MotoLite. I dont mean this arrogantly, I am fortuante enough to work hard and feed money to my passion.

    Both bikes are fantastic to ride, the Id is super efficient and fast. In saying that, I truly feel my AM1 made the bike that much better, it slackened the HA, which helped hugely. I would also say the Id is not a beginner riders bike, it is a technical bike to ride in my opinion, high BB is terrible to some, but to some like myself I loved it. The sus is superb on really slow rough steep up hills, the traction is fantastic. Decends really well. I was not at all unhappy about the bike.

    I wanted a change, along came the ML. This bike is pure fun, climbs fantastic, does nto feel like it has 5 inches of travel at all, but does. Decends like a mother F er. It is hard for me to describe it. You see it is a Ti / carbon frame, great ridign characteristics also have a great rigid wheelset that helps hugely. I really need to ride an Ali MotoLite. Sh!t am rambling.

    Bottom line, when I was looking for a new bike, I could not find a bad review on the MotoLite, someone will spite me here, but you know the score very little negative press about this frame. I ourchased my bike with never seeing a ML in the flesh, let alone an ExoGrid one. I had a huge amount of help from this board and from Titus, and know, not a once did I speak with CC, but his other staff were fantastic..........

    The ML would suit more riders than the Id would for sure. Same as why so many like the 5 Spot. A great frame and ride, simple to ride fast.

    So all in all, I dont agree with the comment hands down, I have spent a good amount of time on both bikes, I know more practically (arrogant B Stard...LOL)

    YOU DECIDE, Which is the best horst link design bike. Just ride our bikes and get busy on it....... YEAH HA,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    in fact, the way most standard four bar / horst link bikes are designed, the only thing that really sets them apart from non horst link / single pivot bikes is braking behaviour.

    please note i am not commenting on whether that is a negative or positve offset, as everyone needs to find out for himself whatever he likes best (by riding). many people also comment that on the trail that difference is irrelevant anyways.

    as for the specific titus application, the difference in braking behaviour should at best be marginally different from a non horst link / single pivot bike.

    accordingly it would be possible to build a single pivot bike (provided that geometry, weight, spring rate, progression, ... would all be the same) which should ride practically identical to the titus.

    so there actually is a point to the second argument, even though i don't agree with the (negative) wording that has been choosen to illustrate those circumstances.

    in the end, it is the particular implementation of a specific bike, that makes that bike worth riding or not. for sure there are four bars out there that ride awesome, the same applying to single pivots. it's up to everyone to find out himself.

  16. #16
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377
    Quote Originally Posted by igorion
    in fact, the way most standard four bar / horst link bikes are designed, the only thing that really sets them apart from non horst link / single pivot bikes is braking behaviour.

    please note i am not commenting on whether that is a negative or positve offset, as everyone needs to find out for himself whatever he likes best (by riding). many people also comment that on the trail that difference is irrelevant anyways.

    as for the specific titus application, the difference in braking behaviour should at best be marginally different from a non horst link / single pivot bike.

    accordingly it would be possible to build a single pivot bike (provided that geometry, weight, spring rate, progression, ... would all be the same) which should ride practically identical to the titus.

    so there actually is a point to the second argument, even though i don't agree with the (negative) wording that has been choosen to illustrate those circumstances.

    in the end, it is the particular implementation of a specific bike, that makes that bike worth riding or not. for sure there are four bars out there that ride awesome, the same applying to single pivots. it's up to everyone to find out himself.


    So again, I guess Titus just kinda likes makig donations to Specialized. It's like kindness?

  17. #17
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    So again, I guess Titus just kinda likes makig donations to Specialized. It's like kindness?
    I honestly wonder how long that's going to last under Pat Hus, who has been known to change lots of things around. Furthermore, Specialized doesn't like to license to big coorporations that could potentially compete. I also read, but could be wrong, the agreement for the license was with Chris and the owner of Specialized. Wonder what it will be without.

  18. #18
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377

    Nice Speculation...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    I honestly wonder how long that's going to last under Pat Hus, who has been known to change lots of things around. Furthermore, Specialized doesn't like to license to big coorporations that could potentially compete. I also read, but could be wrong, the agreement for the license was with Chris and the owner of Specialized. Wonder what it will be without.


    As long as we're making "blinde" speculations, I wonder how much longer Turner will continue to be made in the USA. Hmmmm seems like I read somewhere in some Brit mag he might be open to the posability??? Mabye not? Just thought I'd put that out there...

  19. #19
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    DING DING DING! THE TITUS POLICE ARE IN FULL FORCE!!!


    Gosh, the Titus board fanatics are just plain dumb and not open to any type of dialog, constructive or not. So long as they cover their asses with lies, such as the ones you and demo have been spreading for months here.

    Stop being so wrapped up in the brand of bike you guys ride. Perhaps you can just simply ride more and not worry about the back office politics and worry about whether there's a Titus you like when you're ready to buy again.

  20. #20
    Siddartha Gautama
    Reputation: Ski-U-Mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    507
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    As long as we're making "blinde" speculations, I wonder how much longer Turner will continue to be made in the USA. Hmmmm seems like I read somewhere in some Brit mag he might be open to the posability??? Mabye not? Just thought I'd put that out there...
    Very possible. Remember this famous pre-TNT quote:

    "There is a reason that I pay Specialized, proper positioning of the Horst link is the best way to build a bicycle rear suspension."

    David Turner 07/2004

    Change happens across the board, for better or worse. We shall see.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,396

    Geez...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    DING DING DING! THE TITUS POLICE ARE IN FULL FORCE!!!


    Gosh, the Titus board fanatics are just plain dumb and not open to any type of dialog, constructive or not. So long as they cover their asses with lies, such as the ones you and demo have been spreading for months here.

    Stop being so wrapped up in the brand of bike you guys ride. Perhaps you can just simply ride more and not worry about the back office politics and worry about whether there's a Titus you like when you're ready to buy again.

    What's your problem? You come over here, clearly trolling and act all surprised when people take offense?

    I really didn't see that much defensiveness. Certainly nothing compared to how you react when somebody possibly questions something about a Turner.

    Dave

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    I wasn't trolling.

    I can post here with my thoughts when I see fit.

    But I do enjoy the shock and awe reaction of the Titus zealots.

  23. #23
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,826
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    But I do enjoy the shock and awe reaction of the Titus zealots.
    Isn't that trolling?

    Is like if I'd pinch you at you at the ribs and would enjoy your pain. I would have done nothing I could be really punished for, but that doesn't take your bad reaction about it and it would be understandable.

    Or like Whafe once said it... like going to a lady's funeral and tell the husband you got laid with her.
    Check my Site

  24. #24
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Nice spin, warp. You could be more sensible. Anyone posts anything on the Titus board that can be spun, it is. I try to post something as an addition to the thread and it gets spun, which is fine, but at the same time, I can enjoy the reaction I didn't intend to get. I do know now it is typical of the Titus board, however.

    I do even enjoy seeing the reactions when others post and the Titus board jumps all over them. It's great!

  25. #25
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    LOL, here we are talkin about derailler hangers(throwaway part). Engineering debates over the horst linkage and its affects on ???????. And now conspiracy theories galore and speculation about the Rise and Fall of Titus.

    Makes me wonder what will happen when SAPA raises their prices for frame manufacturing in this ever increasing monetary world. Then you'll see all the backpedaling of all the trolls and haters of global economics. (oh wait did I just post another speculation???)lol

  26. #26
    screamer
    Reputation: budgie's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    1,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    DING DING DING! THE TITUS POLICE ARE IN FULL FORCE!!!


    Gosh, the Titus board fanatics are just plain dumb and not open to any type of dialog, constructive or not.
    Chill out, jerk! As far as I can tell, no one was disagreeing with you (or dissing your beloved Turners) in any way. Where is this reaction coming from? The 5-spot comparison is relevant since it's a bike that received accolades based on its Horst link design, and recently, to great controversy, has had that link eliminated. Most people seem to think this hasn't made a difference to the TNT's ride, which I think is really interesting. However, others, such as Ray (I think this is "Derby," if I'm not mistaken), still prefer the true Horst-link Titus design over the ICT Spot, which suggests that the comparison may not be so useful. It suggests that you couldn't remove the ML's Horst link so easily without affecting the ride significantly. It seems like Dubleyr was just providing this info for mikey74 to help with the original post/question, not to slam the 5Spot.

    You accuse regular posters here of refusing to engage in constructive dialog, but congratulating yourself when your assinine overreactions get people's hackles up certainly doesn't help much. When you make deliberately inflammatory comments, of course people are going to get pissed off; it's really not that much of an achievement. Do people tolerate that behavior over on the Turner board? No, I didn't think so....

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    52
    I do find it funny that you have nothing to contribute to this thread apart from aggravation, a strange life you must lead.

    I agree get out and ride more, maybe you should do the same, im sure this will be followed with i ride so many more miles than you .....

    directed at jerk, not you titus zealots

  28. #28
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377
    Looky here at Jerk douchbag, telling us to leave the office polatics out, or whatever he was saying. If I recall this was a thread about D hangers and susp linkages, as Ti was saying. Then Jerek douchbag comes on here talking about Pat hues, and HL patents....Whaaa????

    Brilliant as alway's!!!!!!

  29. #29
    MTB aficionado
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    997

    ML worthy of a praise??

    The ML, for what ever reason, rips up and down. For what it’s worth, I’ve toasted two derailleur hangers on my ML in two seasons. Pedaling performance and climbing prowess is unmatched in the 5 inch travel bike category. The more phocked-up the trail gets the more I like my ML. Ridden similarly set-up fully’s (most notably a classic Blur and a ICT 5-spot) on same trails and ML is just better. Like pedaling forces, braking forces are totally and completely decoupled from suspension. No surprises when you need to lay on the stoppers as most ML owners will testify. Frankly, the ML is the most capable yet benign XC mountain bike I’ve ridden in 22 years of MTbiking. I’m very much enjoying my second season on the ML.

    If that little horst link on my ML is the biggest reason for such a great all round bike … then great… if not… then great. BTW…. I’m no “Homer” as my criticism have been well documented here.

    As far as fit goes, it’s a non-issue, but some will insist it is. This is “the” lamest excuse for not considering the ML given infinite permutations and limitless combinations of seat-tubes, stems, and handle bars. When “fit” is an issue, I suspect, more than not, is a “perception” that doesn’t fit… not the bike…. MTBikers are fickle people… myself included.

    The posts by JC rings of sour grapes… each one of his posts on this thread is trollish. He’s suffering from “Horst Envy” as most Homers are… even though they will deny this until death and defend DTs rendition of a Kona (now watch the response to this harmless jab). All I know is this, haven’t had the pleasure of riding, umm, umm (clearing throat) a Turner faux bar yet, but two years ago I demo’d a ICT turner 5-spot….. once.
    Regards,

    EndUser
    Last edited by EndUser; 07-21-2006 at 03:32 PM.
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich - Hobo Jim

  30. #30
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377

    Nicely Done!

    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    The ML, for what ever reason, rips up and down. For what it’s worth, I’ve toasted two derailleur hangers on my ML in two seasons. Pedaling performance and climbing prowess is unmatched in the 5 inch travel bike category. The more phocked-up the trail gets the more I like my ML. Ridden similarly set-up fully’s (most notably a classic Blur and a ICT 5-spot) on same trails and ML is just better. Like pedaling forces, braking forces are totally and completely decoupled from suspension. No surprises when you need to lay on the stoppers as most ML owners will testify. Frankly, the ML is the most capable yet benign XC mountain bike I’ve ridden in 22 years of MTbiking. I’m very much enjoying my second season on the ML.

    If that little horst link on my ML is the biggest reason for such a great all round bike … then great… if not… then great. BTW…. I’m no “Homer” as my criticism have been well documented here.

    As far as fit goes, it’s a non-issue, but some will insist it is. This is “the” lamest excuse for not considering the ML given infinite permutations and limitless combinations of seat-tubes, stems, and handle bars. When “fit” is an issue, I suspect, more than not, is a “perception” that doesn’t fit… not the bike…. MTBikers are fickle people… myself included.

    The posts by JC rings of sour grapes… each one of his posts on this thread is trollish. He’s suffering from “Horst Envy” as most Homers are… even though they will deny this until death and defend DTs rendition of a Kona (now watch the response to this harmless jab). All I know is this, haven’t had the pleasure of riding, umm, umm (clearing throat) a Turner faux bar yet, but two years ago I demo’d a ICT turner 5-spot….. once.
    Regards,

    EndUser


    As alway's EndUser, well put, and nicely written...

  31. #31
    Gravity Rides Everything
    Reputation: endurowanker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    As long as we're making "blinde" speculations, I wonder how much longer Turner will continue to be made in the USA. Hmmmm seems like I read somewhere in some Brit mag he might be open to the posability??? Mabye not? Just thought I'd put that out there...

    hey, if turner can bring the cost of their frames to under 1900 bucks i don't give a crap where they're made, i just want one.

  32. #32
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    As long as we're making "blinde" speculations, I wonder how much longer Turner will continue to be made in the USA. Hmmmm seems like I read somewhere in some Brit mag he might be open to the posability??? Mabye not? Just thought I'd put that out there...
    DT will be discussing this feverishly at every monthly meeting. The pro's the con's etc of moving some manufacturing overseas, its a time thing, only time really.

    DT's quote below, was sorted by himself though in fairness.]

    "There is a reason that I pay Specialized, proper positioning of the Horst link is the best way to build a bicycle rear suspension."

    David Turner 07/2004


    I wonder how faithful the Homers would be then. Hopefully not too different.
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  33. #33
    No known cure
    Reputation: Vader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,998
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    As alway's EndUser, well put, and nicely written...
    There are three versions of derailluer hangers that I know of. There is the old aluminum one that weighs seven grams and is pretty soft. The new aluminum hanger weighs 15 grams and is said to be stronger. There is also the stainless steel version that weighs 35 grams. The stainless hanger is strong enough to bend the backing plate on the dropout. My wife bent hers almost to the point of having to order a new seatstay(I don't even want to know what one costs.) A little carefull bending and our trip was saved. The only issue I have with the ML is the low quality powder coating on the 05's. At least the pink. I hope it's more durable this year.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

  34. #34
    mtbr member
    Reputation: craigstr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    4,352

    Jerk Chicken

    Jerk Chicken, go home, nobody likes or wants you here!

  35. #35
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    996
    JC actually raises a good point - I have wondered the same thing - how long will Titus have rights to the Horst Link . . . hopefully this will never be an issue.

  36. #36
    Ti is addictive
    Reputation: TiEndo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,894
    So, are we back to talking about Titus bikes or are we still throwing conspiracy theories and innuendo here????


    Geez, we need to stop thinking and go ride more, especially if we're using our Titus's

  37. #37
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by craigstr
    Jerk Chicken, go home, nobody likes or wants you here!
    Please, go back to riding a bit more. I have no problems staying around here and posting. Mtbr is fun, including the Titus board that was ruined by its own posters. NooB's can't even get accurate info because the posters here tell everyone what they want to hear, as opposed to facts.

    BTW- I like the attention I get with one post. You guys turn it into a thread about me and derail it yourselves. Get some lives. I am a guy that rides a bike and enjoys bicycling. You should try bicycling, too. It's fun.

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    So again, I guess Titus just kinda likes makig donations to Specialized. It's like kindness?

    In the past i have talked to engineers from several bicycle manfacturers personally. the stories i have heard about suspension theory in those conversations differ significantly.
    significantly means entirely different stories (not only aspects), all the way to "i will tell you this, but please don't pass it on to XXX, because they have been too stupid to find it out by themselves so far".
    if one person says "you are wrong, i am right" and the other person does the same thing vice versa, at least one of them has to be wrong, if not both. concluding from that, i'd say the theories of at least 50% of the people designing bicycles suspension are simply wrong!

    that does not mean these people are building bad bikes since there is so much more to a bike than suspension theory. and luckily bikes are not shot into space as a first and final test, but you can sit down and ride them before they go into production, so they might turn out to be awesome, even though the concept was wrong in the first place. i don't want to apply this statement to titus or ony other specific manufacturer.

    the point i want to make is that just because a person is actually building bikes, maybe even for your favorite manufacturer, doesn't autmatically make him omniscient.

    i hope you (blackagness) dont take offense in my posting. i am well aware that i could also be my own opinion that falls within the 50% mentioned above. i just wanted to make clear that the fact that titus is paying royalties to specialized doesn't automatically translate to their suspension layout being superior. there has been so much misinformation on fsr also (quote "vertical wheel path") that the presence of a horst link alone simply does not mean anything without judging the rest of the bike also, and especially, without riding it.

    and please let me make clear: i have not ridden a titus and i don't want to make any statement about the quality of their bikes or suspension specifically.

  39. #39
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377
    Quote Originally Posted by igorion
    In the past i have talked to engineers from several bicycle manfacturers personally. the stories i have heard about suspension theory in those conversations differ significantly.
    significantly means entirely different stories (not only aspects), all the way to "i will tell you this, but please don't pass it on to XXX, because they have been too stupid to find it out by themselves so far".
    if one person says "you are wrong, i am right" and the other person does the same thing vice versa, at least one of them has to be wrong, if not both. concluding from that, i'd say the theories of at least 50% of the people designing bicycles suspension are simply wrong!

    that does not mean these people are building bad bikes since there is so much more to a bike than suspension theory. and luckily bikes are not shot into space as a first and final test, but you can sit down and ride them before they go into production, so they might turn out to be awesome, even though the concept was wrong in the first place. i don't want to apply this statement to titus or ony other specific manufacturer.

    the point i want to make is that just because a person is actually building bikes, maybe even for your favorite manufacturer, doesn't autmatically make him omniscient.

    i hope you (blackagness) dont take offense in my posting. i am well aware that i could also be my own opinion that falls within the 50% mentioned above. i just wanted to make clear that the fact that titus is paying royalties to specialized doesn't automatically translate to their suspension layout being superior. there has been so much misinformation on fsr also (quote "vertical wheel path") that the presence of a horst link alone simply does not mean anything without judging the rest of the bike also, and especially, without riding it.

    and please let me make clear: i have not ridden a titus and i don't want to make any statement about the quality of their bikes or suspension specifically.

    No offense taken, and I could be off with "my" next statment. But It seems to me the fairly vast majority of Eropean manufacturers where the HL patent does not apply, primarly go for a HL. Guess there must be something to it...

  40. #40
    "El Whatever"
    Reputation: Warp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    18,826
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    But It seems to me the fairly vast majority of Eropean manufacturers where the HL patent does not apply, primarly go for a HL. Guess there must be something to it...
    That seriously can mean squat, Blackey.

    With my riding buddies we've come to the conclusion that at this level of bikes, fit and geometry can mean much more than suspension design. Hell, even tyre pressure is more critical to the riding characteristics of a bike than pure suspension. Shock settings are a big factor too.

    Off from those Euro companies using the HL, many of those bike will ride like crap.

    If you see the geometries of Turners and Titus, they look somewhat wrong on paper. Turners looking too long and Titus looking too high at BB and too slack seat tube... however, when you throw a leg on them, they're maybe the best bikes you've ever ridden.

    I think there's more to it than pure suspension design.
    Check my Site

  41. #41
    "Its All Good"
    Reputation: Whafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    10,697
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That seriously can mean squat, Blackey.

    With my riding buddies we've come to the conclusion that at this level of bikes, fit and geometry can mean much more than suspension design. Hell, even tyre pressure is more critical to the riding characteristics of a bike than pure suspension. Shock settings are a big factor too.

    Off from those Euro companies using the HL, many of those bike will ride like crap.

    If you see the geometries of Turners and Titus, they look somewhat wrong on paper. Turners looking too long and Titus looking too high at BB and too slack seat tube... however, when you throw a leg on them, they're maybe the best bikes you've ever ridden.

    I think there's more to it than pure suspension design.
    Some woman are like that really. The ones that can look perfectly designed are a terrible ride, some others that the geo is not 100% are magnificent rides.. Not getting down and dirty, but it is very similar to me...................

    By the way, was so glad Floyd won the tour, yeah ha
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

  42. #42
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    That seriously can mean squat, Blackey.

    With my riding buddies we've come to the conclusion that at this level of bikes, fit and geometry can mean much more than suspension design. Hell, even tyre pressure is more critical to the riding characteristics of a bike than pure suspension. Shock settings are a big factor too.

    Off from those Euro companies using the HL, many of those bike will ride like crap.

    If you see the geometries of Turners and Titus, they look somewhat wrong on paper. Turners looking too long and Titus looking too high at BB and too slack seat tube... however, when you throw a leg on them, they're maybe the best bikes you've ever ridden.

    I think there's more to it than pure suspension design.


    I've ridden vpp and many single pivot I liked most of them, but the first time I jumped on a HL bike I was amazed at the ability to pedal through the rough, and decend while braking over stutter bumps without feeling hardly anything... That may mean (squat) to "you" but for my exp it means quit alot, wich in the end is all I can speak to.

    I'm no big Horst advocate either. There are plenty of people who've tested both and opted for another design. In the end I believe a good bike is a good bike, and susp design may not be the only factor, or even the most important, but IMO it is a factor none the less.

    If for example if I were to buy a Turner it wouldn't matter to me wether it was TNT or HL. Because I happen to believe they make some of the best bikes, in fact my second favorite... but by a fairly wide margen.

  43. #43
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I've ridden vpp and many single pivot I liked most of them, but the first time I jumped on a HL bike I was amazed at the ability to pedal through the rough, and decend while braking over stutter bumps without feeling hardly anything... That may mean (squat) to "you" but for my exp it means quit alot, wich in the end is all I can speak to.

    I'm no big Horst advocate either. There are plenty of people who've tested both and opted for another design. In the end I believe a good bike is a good bike, and susp design may not be the only factor, or even the most important, but IMO it is a factor none the less.

    If for example if I were to buy a Turner it wouldn't matter to me wether it was TNT or HL. Because I happen to believe they make some of the best bikes, in fact my second favorite... but by a fairly wide margen.
    Not all horst links are the same. Try one of the older Jamis Dakars, for one. You wouldn't even know the benefits of the HL there. Most of the riding characteristics of a bike is based on the geomtry, layout of the linkages, and the shock. The HL is only a small piece of that. The HL also removes some rigidity, so a company that doesn't beef its frames up, putting the premium on stiffness will not have as good a riding bike as one that simply has some stiffness added into the equation. Don't forget our HL equipped GT LTS and RTS. The former would jack like no tomorrow during braking.

    I have always been an HL detractor, even before I bought into Turner because I've ridden and owned bikes where the suspension simply worked and I couldn't tell the difference, except for maybe I didn't like how "S" bikes rode.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation: GuruAtma's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    3,673
    Back to the orignal topic, sort of... The only downside I've found on my new 06 motolite is that the paint chips awefully easily. My Spec Enduro endured many worse flying rocks without a scratch-- but the motolite, without ever actually crashing on rocks, is still full of chips and scratches from small rocks getting thrown from the tires.

    But in the big scheme of things, that's a fairly minor problem...
    功夫大师喜欢骑着他的自行车在山上。

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,396

    I used to be a HL whore...

    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    I've ridden vpp and many single pivot I liked most of them, but the first time I jumped on a HL bike I was amazed at the ability to pedal through the rough, and decend while braking over stutter bumps without feeling hardly anything... That may mean (squat) to "you" but for my exp it means quit alot, wich in the end is all I can speak to.

    I'm no big Horst advocate either. There are plenty of people who've tested both and opted for another design. In the end I believe a good bike is a good bike, and susp design may not be the only factor, or even the most important, but IMO it is a factor none the less.

    If for example if I were to buy a Turner it wouldn't matter to me wether it was TNT or HL. Because I happen to believe they make some of the best bikes, in fact my second favorite... but by a fairly wide margen.
    It was with great trepidation that I went from a HL XCE to a TNT Turner. I expected (almost _wanted_) to find a difference in the ride, but in the end I simply couldn't tell. I was cleaning everything I was cleaning before, and ripping downhill better because of the more DH oriented geometry.

    So, like other posters said, I think the execution/geometry is much more important than the HL or seat-stay pivot argument. Titus bikes are simply some of the best out there, and it comes across in the ride.

    I think the manufacturers in europe build HL bikes because people think they are better, and that helps them sell bikes. Perception is important.

    The moto-lite was my second choice when considering the 5-spot. If I had come to the conclusion that the HL made any difference what-so-ever in the ride, I was planning on selling the spot and getting the ML. Luckily for my wallet that wasn't the case

    Dave

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,396

    Heh...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Please, go back to riding a bit more. I have no problems staying around here and posting. Mtbr is fun, including the Titus board that was ruined by its own posters. NooB's can't even get accurate info because the posters here tell everyone what they want to hear, as opposed to facts.

    BTW- I like the attention I get with one post. You guys turn it into a thread about me and derail it yourselves. Get some lives. I am a guy that rides a bike and enjoys bicycling. You should try bicycling, too. It's fun.

    I can't believe a guy w/ 2000 posts is telling someone to get a life and ride more. Quite ironic. Nothing personal Jerk, but you're obviously a troll, and are guilty on the Turner board of all of the behaviours you ascribe to the posters here.

    Dave

  47. #47
    banned
    Reputation: Jerk_Chicken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    16,466
    OMG!!!

    The "Look at your post count" reply!!! It's back!

  48. #48
    thats right living legend
    Reputation: blackagness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    OMG!!!

    The "Look at your post count" reply!!! It's back!


    Good One!!!

  49. #49
    ಠ_ಠ
    Reputation: dulyebr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    3,192

    This quote from the Turner board sums it up:

    My TNT experience
    <HR style="COLOR: #b7b7b7" SIZE=1><!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->Being a Horst-link believer for so long, and that being a major reason for the purchase of my 5 spot, I was quite saddened when the news of TNT broke. Slowly the speculation gave way to reviews by many Homers whose opinions I have come to respect over the past couple of years. I began to come around in my thinking. Maybe the HL was all just marketing BS, after all the world is full of it.

    I had to find out for myself.

    My review-

    I won't go into too much detail on the many areas that my experience paralleled that of the previous reviewers.

    Braking- Noticeable lack of extension in the rear when braking only with the rear brake, at first I thought it was squat but after watching the shock I found it wasn't compressing. This did indeed give a stablizing feel, if traction was affected I couldn't feel it.

    Cornering- Stiffer rear end, despite the argument of others, I do not attribute this to the TNT rear being new and the HL old. When braking into a corner the bike felt more balanced front to rear, I'm guessing this is because of the lesser amount of extension in the rear. I can't say for sure what the reason, but the TNT felt better in the corners than the HL did.

    Pedaling- A firmer feel on the TNT, maybe less compliant would be a better description. After returning to the HL after three weeks on TNT, the HL felt smoother on small bumps. I think the TNT may pedal better while standing and mashing but I can't say for sure.

    Now there was only one real test left to ease my worries about the prospect on my HL being replaced with TNT.



    Steeper, looser, and longer than it looks in this photogragh, this section of tight singletrack is unforgiving when it comes to traction, front end lifting, and if even for a second you lose your line.

    Whenever I make changes to my ride, stem length, new fork, saddle postion and so on, I use this hill to see what effects it will have on super steep loose climbs.Over the past year and a half I have gome from a 110mm stem down to a 50mm, 110 to 100, 100 to 90, 90 to 70, and finally 70 to 50. Each stem change significantly changed the body position required to make this climb. The same held true for the switch from the Vanilla to the Marzocchi, the slacker head angle really made me work to get up this hill. But with every change if I just gave everything I had and stayed forward the rear end would hook up flawlessly and I'd power up it. Only on one occasion did I have to make a second attempt to clean the hill, this was after the 70 to 50mm stem length change, which I guess just caught me off guard. Bottom line, if I can still climb this hill with TNT, then all is good.

    On the first day attempting this hill with the TNT rear I failed 14 of 14 tries. I was crushed, and exhausted. I drove home after the beat down wondering what the hell could have been wrong.

    Two days later I went back, angry. That f-ing hill was mine.

    Nope, 8 tries and 8 failures.

    Every possible adjustment was made to make it up with the TNT rear, shock settings, pressures, body position, full out mashing on the pedals, steady cadence, you name it.

    My conclusion as to the reason for failure; I was unable to keep the front end down and maintain traction at the same time. Was the rear squatting under power? It felt like it. Did the rear end hook up as well as the HL? No.

    I went back the next day after reinstalling the HL rear and made it up on the first try usual.

    I'm sure that by making adjustments to my ride that I could make it up with the TNT rear, but those adjustments would surely have a negative effect on descending.

    I'd be very interested to hear other Homer's experiences in similar conditions. Basically find a super steep and loose granny gear climb, and see if you too can't feel a difference in favor of the HL.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    54
    Quote Originally Posted by MightySchmoePong
    ...
    I think the manufacturers in europe build HL bikes because people think they are better, and that helps them sell bikes. Perception is important.
    ...
    Last year i was talking to the CEO of a european bike manufacturer after a presentation of my software. when he was showing me drawings of the 4-bar bikes they would show at the tradeshow that fall, this was the exact reason i was told for them switching to 4-bar: "people want 4-bars, not single pivots".

    still, there's many european manufacturers that are building awesome bikes, 4-bar or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •