Paper or plastic?

Improving the rear shock on a Small ML

After 2 years of riding my ML, I wanted to improve the rear damping for something a bit more compliant on the small bumps. After toying with the idea of getting a Rocco R, I called Titus to Jim, who offered another opinion and recommended the RP23 with a larger air can. He seemed to know what he was talking about, so when a couple days later I was able to score a great deal on a barely used RP23, I seized the opportunity. The LBS installed a larger air can on the RP23 and today I tested it. The air pressure, for the same sag, is significantly less than what I used to put in my RP3 (195 psi for 165# rider w/o gear) at 160psi.

Climbing, as everybody knows the RP23 is a much better climber than the RP3. I used the #2 propedal position and it really firmed up the rear the way I was hoping it would. I really enhanced the climbing ability of the ML w/o making the rear too harsh either. Puuuurfect!

Descending, I did a high speed fireroad downhill with plenty of small rocks. Where the rear used to buck under me with the RP3, it was buttery smooth with the new shock. Just for kicks, I sat down on my saddle while blowing through a semi rocky area and I could feel the shock plowing through the stuff. Awesome! I need more riding time to make a better assessment, but so far it looks like mission accomplished.

I just have to wait for the LBS to change the seals on my Talas fork now.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

Veni Vidi Vici
    I just replaced my RP3 to rp23 barely a month ago in my ML... I didnt realize that there will be much effect.. but it does good to hear your enjoying your new shocks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by barelylegal
    I just replaced my RP3 to rp23 barely a month ago in my ML... I didnt realize that there will be much effect.. but it does good to hear your enjoying your new shocks
    What model was your RP3?. Mine is late 2006 and I am very happy with it. I am also very happy with the fact I have 3 positions on the fly and not 2. I will be super happy to know there much room for improvement with the RP23

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    great news zorg

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenBonty
    What model was your RP3?. Mine is late 2006 and I am very happy with it. I am also very happy with the fact I have 3 positions on the fly and not 2. I will be super happy to know there much room for improvement with the RP23
    I had an 05 RP3 and changed it with an 07 RP23. The problem I had with my RP3 was that if I wanted it to climb well, I had to put too much pressure and the small bump compliance would suffer. With the RP23, the propedal is way more pronounced, so I can put less air in the shock and still climb well while having a more compliant shock when the Propedal is off.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun