mtbr member
    Mar 2006

I keep breaking FTM C derailleur hangers...

Is anyone else ?

I am running a clutch type derailleur and am wondering if the force that was absorbed by the derailleur swinging about is now being transferred to the hanger as I've also broken a hanger on my Intense running the same derailleur. Thoughts?

mtbr member
    My original hanger lasted about a year. I then switched to a Wheels Manufacturing, Inc. hanger and I find it is a bit thicker than the original.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Tfrost View Post
    My original hanger lasted about a year. I then switched to a Wheels Manufacturing, Inc. hanger and I find it is a bit thicker than the original.
    The one I just snapped today is a wheels MFG replacement one. Since posting - I took the hanger to an engineering shop that has done bits and pieces for me over the years. I may get something custom made because as the engineer pointed out - the design of the original is really poor with insufficient material around one of the three small mounting holes which is exactly where it has broken both times. Still think it may be clutch derailleur related though....

mtbr member
    Check out the hangers made by North Shore Billet...

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gravityfreaky View Post
    The one I just snapped today is a wheels MFG replacement one. Since posting - I took the hanger to an engineering shop that has done bits and pieces for me over the years. I may get something custom made because as the engineer pointed out - the design of the original is really poor with insufficient material around one of the three small mounting holes which is exactly where it has broken both times. Still think it may be clutch derailleur related though....
    Do you notice any clicking/ticking noises before the hanger fails?

mtbr member
    would you rather the hanger fail or have the frame broken buy a poorly adjusted derailer or a random stick?
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"