NOT Team Sanchez

I was just thinking the other night as I lay struggling to fall asleep.

What if.................

Titus took an El Guapo and redesigned it slightly stronger, with an 8.75x2.75 (My guesstimate is that the travel would be increased to just under 7'') rear shock by moving the upper shock mount further along the TT, this would also require the seat tube be at much slacker angle to allow for the extra wheel travel, and would still keep the leverage ratio nice and low. Keep all the other angles the same, bb heighth, chainstay length, etc,....... the only other changes would be to allow for a 180mm fork, and a 67 degree head angle. If the weight of the bike could be kept to around 9.5 lbs with a coil, then it'd be the sweetest FR bike ever. I wonder if Titus would custom make me one Oh, and you could have a name that would reinvigorate a classic.........THE SuMo G!

It could be like the HammerHead 100X mod Titus did a few years ago.
    Last edited by wasea04; 07-04-2009 at 09:53 PM.
    I like bikes.

dog
    sit! stay!
    i remember seeing a brand new sumo frame in that kinda metalic brown or copper color... i think that was it's final year???... it was just an amazing looking beast...

if it could be revived at 7"+ travel and 9.5 lbs assuming a non-ti coil, that would be something
    i need to develop my crashing skills...

what's that rattle?
    That's a great idea!

With the Guapo's leverage an 8.75/2.75 shock would give about 170mm of travel. In my opinion it would be better if this could be accommodated without having a seat tube that joins the downtube in front of the bottom bracket. Perhaps a few different mounting holes on the frame and shock linkage to run different shock lengths, head angles and BB heights?

HA (deg.) / BB Height (in) / Travel (mm) / Shock Stroke (in)
    68 / 14.25 / 155 / 2.5
    67 / 13.8 / 155 / 2.5
    67 / 13.8 / 170 / 2.75
    68 / 14.25 / 170 / 2.75 (with additional tire clearance)

As for making the front triangle stronger without adding much weight....Titanium and larger bearings???

NOT Team Sanchez
    Wow, I'm impressed you computed all that Blofeld. I don't think 9.5lbs is that tough to achieve, right now an El Guapo with a coil is around 8.5lbs right and very strong, adding a pound in material would be plenty of muscle.
    I like bikes.

what's that rattle?
    Titus took 1/2 to 3/4lb out of the 2009 frames, putting weight back in shouldn't be too hard! What's more difficult is designing a bike to work well with either a 180mm or 160mm fork. Considering the fate of the original SuMo it's hard to say if a revamping with an uninterrupted seat tube and lower BB would make for a lot of sales. It sure would be sweet, though!

"El Whatever"
    What about a full aluminum trailbike totally geared for 140mm forks and slightly heavier tubing and able to take coil shocks?? No? Anyone?
    Check my Site

what's that rattle?
    Quote Originally Posted by Warp
    What about a full aluminum trailbike totally geared for 140mm forks and slightly heavier tubing and able to take coil shocks?? No? Anyone?
    If we do end up with a carbon FTM that would actually be a good bike to have in the trail lineup. Titus could call the all-aluminum rear end the "Hard Rail System" and sell it at the lower price-point previously occupied by the ML-1/Motolite. Ti FTM buyers could have a choice of the aluminum or carbon stays.

NOT Team Sanchez
    ooh ooh ooh, you could make a slopestyle FTM, lower BB, slacker HA, stouter tubing (Full Alu......and I don't want to hear anything from Sopwithcamel about the endless virtues of carbon this and that ), and optimized for a 160mm fork.........I can dream can't I?
    I like bikes.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by wasea04
    ooh ooh ooh, you could make a slopestyle FTM, lower BB, slacker HA, stouter tubing (Full Alu......and I don't want to hear anything from Sopwithcamel about the endless virtues of carbon this and that ), and optimized for a 160mm fork.........I can dream can't I?

Sweet... Sounds killer... Saying on the streets is that the Intense SS is a great trail weapon also, but you can kill it if you use the seatpost out for extended climbing.

That's an area of opportunity on a very popular segment if you ask me.

160mm tops travel fork, so you don't have people having second thoughts about getting a Totem or Boxxer in there.
    Check my Site

what's that rattle?
    When you said slopestyle my first thought was a Guapo with shorter SuMo chainstays and a 2-2.25" stroke coil shock. Nothing about the FTM really gets me thinking in that direction specifically, although it would be pretty cool if Titus made a Bottlerocket equivalent.

Have people really been killing Intense SS seat tubes? I know there was an issue with Socom and 951 seat tubes as they are really slack with short insertion lengths, but the SS has good insertion and is steep and straight. Considering the ridiculous standover needed for slopestyle bikes there's really not anything else design-wise to improve on there.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Blofeld
    When you said slopestyle my first thought was a Guapo with shorter SuMo chainstays and a 2-2.25" stroke coil shock. Nothing about the FTM really gets me thinking in that direction specifically, although it would be pretty cool if Titus made a Bottlerocket equivalent.

Have people really been killing Intense SS seat tubes? I know there was an issue with Socom and 951 seat tubes as they are really slack with short insertion lengths, but the SS has good insertion and is steep and straight. Considering the ridiculous standover needed for slopestyle bikes there's really not anything else design-wise to improve on there.

In all fairness, it's speculation, so take it for what it's worth....

SS Day 1

I read it on another thread I can't seem to find now (my fault, not mtbr's before the Black helicopter's theorists get started)....

In this case, it looks like it's an issue with the seat tube being equal for all sizes...
    Need Measurements From Your Large Slopestyle Please
    Check my Site

what's that rattle?
    Weirdness. I have no idea why someone with long legs would even consider using a slopestyle bike as a trailbike. The Chainlove deals were just too good to resist, I guess! Pretty strange to think that a bike cleared to run 8" forks was hurt by a seatpost...Probably wasn't down to the insertion line or something.

To summarize, the bikes we'd like to see are:
    -170mm FR bike based on the Guapo
    -180mm new Sumo
    -155-170mm Guapo with adjustable geo.
    -Burly FTM (sans carbon)
    -Slopestyle FTM
    -Slopestyle Guapo

I wonder how we'll do with our wish-list?

NOT Team Sanchez
    I know Titus does custom sized frames, but is there any chance they'd do a custom desgin? Probably not is my guess, way too much engineering and testing required.

As a side note, I took my El Guapo up to the lifts at Brian Head and it killed it! My buddies on their Highlines couldn't keep up, and I dusted one guy on his DHR, not to mention a few other clowns who thought I was an idiot on my sc crown 6'' rig til I smoked 'em! Turners put in their place, I love it This bike rips!!!!!!
    I like bikes.

what's that rattle?
    I had my Guapo on a chairlift for the first time last week - it really does rock! I'm pretty sure nobody told the El Guapo that it was supposed to be an "All Mountain" bike!

I didn't think Titus did custom El Guapos at all...Too much funkiness with all the curved tubes. I might be wrong, though; it could warrant a phone call.

On the same note, one of my previous distractions was a rough design for a custom Ti front end for a Knolly Endorphin. This led me to Kent Eriksen Cycles who has done custom Ti front triangles for Yetis and Ventanas. Another place to check out might be Form Cycles who may also have some experience with custom FS bikes.