mtbr member

Wink How too take a pound off of your EG

Take the boat-anchor cranks off! I bought some gravity cranks in 165mm to try a shorter length. The gravity brand stuff was the cheapest I could find in 165mm. The worked great but holy crap! They are almost a pound heavier than the 170mm xt's I replaced with them. Well, I found out I like 165mm so I ordered up a pair of xt's in 165mm. Bike went from 31 lbs 8 oz. down to 30 lbs 6 oz. Also tossed in a pink ck bb for fun

I'd like to get it below 30lbs (29 lbs 15 oz would be fine) so I may try some of schwable's "hans dampf" tires when they come out. The ever-changing stinky pinky OUT!
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Smile

Washing the bike may get you below 30 lbs

mtbr member
    Front derailleur looks pretty high? Set up for a three ring? Lighter tires will get you there. Wicked Wills are around 900 grams? Hans Dampf supposed to be 750 each, that 2/3 lb right there. Is that an 8" front rotor? 7' is plenty on a 30lb bike and saves you some weight as well.

searcher
    I like this pinky more and more.
    Kovi

Hueston Woods Trail Crew

Washing and ExLAx

Take a pound off the rider before the ride.

mtbr member
    Washing the bike may get you below 30 lbs
    I had it all clean before the last race at big bear lake. Place was a mess but still a blast.

Washing and ExLAx
    I take a shower and eat a clif bar before every ride isn't that just like exlax?

Front derailleur looks pretty high? Set up for a three ring?
    I wonder'd that myself but that hight was the only way I could get a decent fealing shift without using way to much travel. I was thinking about picking up one of the slx 2 by derailers but this one seems to work well (and it came out of the junk bin at the shop)

Is that an 8" front rotor? 7' is plenty on a 30lb bike and saves you some weight as well
    I tried a 160 for a few weeks and couldn't get used to the feal. I used to only run a 160 on the front but I think witht the traction of these huge tires a 160 was just over powered on the front. Works great on the rear though.

Bike Addiction
    How are the Hope brakes doing? Looking to try a set soon. Tax refund burning hole.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

mtbr member
    Hope's are the best brakes money can buy. I've had avids in every incarnation, worked on every other magura (and tossed marta's in the trash after two years at the shop) and just don't like hayes cheap looks.

Only gripe about the hopes is the attatchment system of the caliper doesn't allow for and frame or fork un-allignment. Make sure your caliper mounting faces are square and they'll give you years of trouble free service.

Bike Addiction
    Thanks. Been looking at Formulas and Hope Tech X2 . Avids been ok but want to step it up a notch. I've currently got juicies on both bikes

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by 00sable
    Been looking at Formulas and Hope Tech X2 . Avids been ok but want to step it up a notch. I've currently got juicies on both bikes
    I like Formulas...light and strong. Some of the new Shimano stuff is nice too.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Dozer
    Quote Originally Posted by geolover
    Some of the new Shimano stuff is nice too.
    No complaints so far with my XT 775s. Light, good modulation, cheap pads, lots of power.

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahdog31
    No complaints so far with my XT 775s. Light, good modulation, cheap pads, lots of power.
    Yeah, I have a set of those on my Supermoto and is what I was referring to...that being said, the new XT's are now like the XTR's (which have gotten very good reviews).

I use Formulas on my IH Sunday and Canfield...they are a bit lighter and more powerful than the XTs.

No experience with the Hope's, but they sure look purty.
    Extreme stationary biker.

Bike Addiction
    Purty yeah. I do like the looks of Hopes. Looking at bleeding videos it seems the Hopes are easy to bleed too though I have not seen the Formula bleed vids yet. The Hopes bleed like car brakes. No syringes or anything to fool with. May go back and look at XT's again. I like the fact they use mineral oil. I had found a good deal on Hopes but they sold before I could make up my mind.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    moar riding less cleaning
    Last edited by Deerhill; 05-29-2011 at 02:24 PM.

The Cheater
    Of course the fastest way is to use the lightest tubeless ready tires in the market right now
    Titux X Carbon 2010 race 9.93kg
    Titux X 2009 "Deore 2012" training 11.55kg