Thread: How is Titus...

ballbuster

How is Titus...

...Post Chris era?

I heard of a bud who had to wait a month for a cracked swingarm and was pretty torqued about it.

Have quality or customer service slipped at all?
    Last edited by pimpbot; 05-25-2009 at 02:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Well I can answer the question about quality, Titus has introduced several new designs since Chris Cocalis has left the company all of which have been tested and passed the extremely stringent CEN testing standards. As well the Titus X and FTM have both recived glowing test reports in the pages of MBAction in the past couple of months.

I ride a 2008 Racer-X carbon which I just love and has been very fast and reliable for me. Perhaps some of the other Titus riders can give testimony to warranty claims. But from what I have seen from the MTBR Titus fourm, Titus is usually pretty prompt with warranty and replacement parts. It is something the company takes great pride in.

Sopwithcamel

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by sopwithcamel
    Well I can answer the question about quality, Titus has introduced several new designs since Chris Cocalis has left the company all of which have been tested and passed the extremely stringent CEN testing standards.
    A correction about that- what designs were not sourced from the Cocalis era? They introduced one design that originated during his era, in the El G, and simply remodeled and modernized some designs with newer profiles and materials. There is also a bit of a question of the triangle profiles used, as opposed to the round profiles, in terms of stiffness and ultimate strength. It's not exclusive to Titus, but also several companies who also went with the change to the triangular tubes (thankfully many switched to other profiles).

As well the Titus X and FTM have both recived glowing test reports in the pages of MBAction in the past couple of months.
    It's not really much of an honor to say something like that. The riders and people who demo bikes are a bit more reliable that MBFiction.
    I ride a 2008 Racer-X carbon which I just love and has been very fast and reliable for me. Perhaps some of the other Titus riders can give testimony to warranty claims. But from what I have seen from the MTBR Titus fourm, Titus is usually pretty prompt with warranty and replacement parts. It is something the company takes great pride in.

Sopwithcamel
    Good to hear.

Ti is addictive
    Is this a troll post??????

Lotta threads lately of how Titus has sorted them out fairly quickly post Chris C. days. Usually the threads where delays have happened it's because Titus didn't have the part needed to warranty. (There were some guys refusing the CF stays and wanting polished AL ones even after Titus was phasing out the Al ones). Or the dealer they got the bike from has dropped Titus yet are still trying to handle warranty claims even if there is a new Titus dealer down the block.

Heck, some guy on here recently needed a part of a old switchblade which is dead and gone by a few years now and got offered a reduced price EG instead.

Oh and by the way I got sorted within a week for my warranty claim post Chris as well.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Jerkchicken.....

Non of Chris Cocalis's designs were from a clean sheet of paper. The one thing that Chris Cocalis did bring to the full suspension mountain bike was the acute angle link for a Macpherson Strut bike which stiffens the suspension in the intial part of the stroke. But for some odd reason Titus never patented this idea. Which is too bad because the 2009 Specilized Epic pretty much ripped off Chris's acute angle link.

As for tubing cross sections their is an optium cross section for every tube on the bike and it will vary over the tubes length. But since a lot of bike designers have never taken any advanced Structural Analysis courses they don't have a good handle on the equations that drive bicycle design. FEA has helped some what in this area, but you still need to have a basic understanding of the following:

Stresses:
    Shear, Bending Moments, Torsional Moments, Tension and Compression loadings and basic load path analysis to use FEA properly.

Geometric Properties
    Also you need a fundamental undestanding of geometric properties such as Polar moments of inertia and Area moments of inertia so select the proper cross section for the given loading.

Material Properties

Ultimate Strength, Yield Strength, Modulus of Elasticity, Specific Strength, Specific Stiffness, Modulus of Rigidity, Sheer Strength, and fabrication properties.

Bare in mind that Chris Cocalis is an accounting major not an engineer so he is learning engineering on the fly. This would explain why the Titus Racer-X and Motolite were so over built. Ironically that worked in Chris’s favor as the Titus bikes built up a good reputation for durability. Some times it’s better to be lucky then good.
    And I am not saying Chris isn't good, because he is a pretty decent engineer for a bean counter.

Sopwithcamel

banned
    Now I agree with Ti. Troll post. Nothing to see here.

ballbuster

No, not at all

Quote Originally Posted by TiEndo
    Is this a troll post??????
    I've been drooling of a Titus for years, and now I'm ramping up to actually pull the trigger in the next couple of months.

While doing some browsing about Titus, I started seeing posts about busted frames. In my mind, I always thought Titus had the reputation of their stuff hardly ever breaking, now I see a few posts about broken frames. Probably more of an issue of just looking for problems, and finding them.

Between that, Chris leaving, and word through the grapevine about a long (granted, only one) warranty wait, I was just hoping I wasn't getting into a potential headache.

Sounds like I have nothing to worry about.

Paper or plastic?
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot
    I've been drooling of a Titus for years, and now I'm ramping up to actually pull the trigger in the next couple of months.

While doing some browsing about Titus, I started seeing posts about busted frames. In my mind, I always thought Titus had the reputation of their stuff hardly ever breaking, now I see a few posts about broken frames. Probably more of an issue of just looking for problems, and finding them.

Between that, Chris leaving, and word through the grapevine about a long (granted, only one) warranty wait, I was just hoping I wasn't getting into a potential headache.

Sounds like I have nothing to worry about.
    I can vouch for Pimpy not being a troll. I got 2 of them (Titus), but never had to use the warranty. From what I've seen on this board, claims seem to be handled quickly.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

ballbuster

Thanks, Zorg

Quote Originally Posted by zorg
    I can vouch for Pimpy not being a troll. I got 2 of them (Titus), but never had to use the warranty. From what I've seen on this board, claims seem to be handled quickly.
    You don't happen to have a RacerX29er, do ya? IIRC, you have a MotoLite and RacerX 26er, right?

dang. its been a while since I actually rode with you. I keep missing these gala ride events.

Ti is addictive
    Nah, Zorg went all handsome on his latest Titus. He' also got a ML. Just be sure to pick the right Titus model for your riding style and I doubt you'll need to use the warranty.

Near Chris C.s end of days at Titus and also on their new models, Titus is going definately after the weight conscious crowd on most of thier line. I think the new EG is one amazing bike, if I didn't already have one from last year, I would have jumped at getting this years. Also don't confuse the ML or new FTM as anything else but a long legged XC/trail bike. Alot of the past warranty issues seemed to be when the ML was marketed as a do all bike. Same with the RX....it is not the hammerhead of old.

Finally one has to remember in less then a 10 year span, Titus has gone from sole owner in Chris C, to Vyatek/Chris C to Vyatek to now the current ownership(some financing group???). Customer service has ranged from Skookim Bro deals, to industry standard coverage to better then most but not all customer service with the varying ownership.
    "Can I put a Totem on a FTM?".....Originally Posted by All Mountain

Paper or plastic?
    You don't happen to have a RacerX29er, do ya? IIRC, you have a MotoLite and RacerX 26er, right?

dang. its been a while since I actually rode with you. I keep missing these gala ride events.
    Motolite and El Guapo, both 26er. It's been a while. I mostly ride south bay these days too.
    Faster is not always better, but it's always more fun

wg
    Fermented Grain Sampler
    Hey Trollster Did ya check out the nice blue ML that GuruAtma rides at Annadale? I also saw a beautiful 29er Fireline a couple weeks back at Rockville. Made me start thinking about adding a 1x9 version of that to the stable.

I've not contacted Titus in some years. The only thing I've had issue with on the SB is the reducers for the shock go south occasionally. Time for another set after that Annadale ride.
    Don't harsh my mello