Gravity Rides Everything

how hard are titus pivot bearings to change?

i recently had the displeasure of watching a kona's quad main pivot bearing being changed. you basically have to hammer all 4 bearings out through one side of the frame. not my idea of fun.

i'm currently riding specialized and going through a set of bearings every season

seems like the titus setup lasts longer, but how hard are they when i inevitably DO need to change em out.

(i'm looking at a moto lite btw)

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by endurowanker
    i recently had the displeasure of watching a kona's quad main pivot bearing being changed. you basically have to hammer all 4 bearings out through one side of the frame. not my idea of fun.

i'm currently riding specialized and going through a set of bearings every season

seems like the titus setup lasts longer, but how hard are they when i inevitably DO need to change em out.

(i'm looking at a moto lite btw)
    Most bearings are interference fit... Titus' included. Unless you see the bearing fits in a housing that is split and tightened with a screw, all of them are pressed in and must be pressed out.

However, you can make a homespun press to put the bearings in and out. This will make putting the bearings in and out an easy job and your chances to damage something will be reduced.
    Check my Site

rack admirer

I used a home made press, too.

I used a home made press to change out the bearings on my Loco Moto (4 yrs old at the time). I matched up the bearing numbers and replaced with enduros.

I did run into trouble putting the swing arm back. There were very thin spacers at the main pivot separating the swing arm from the frame pivot. I mangled them trying to slide the swing arm on. Titus told me to clamp the drop out end with a skewer to open up the pivot yoke on the swing arm. Did the trick. Its what they do on the assembly line.
    MCM # 57