mtbr member
    Jan 2004

New question here. How does the Motolite compare to the Switchblade?

I have a Switchblade that I really like. But I am curious how the Motolite compares to it. Anybody ride both?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I have a quasi moto and had a motolite. The qm is similar to the switchblade. The motolite has a cross country race bike feel that I didn't like. Its not as plush as the qm. I have a ftm carbon and have been blown away with the way it rides. Get a light tune fox not the rs titus sells. I know a lot of bad things have been written about the ftm breakage but I have about 700 miles on it with no failures. You have to limit tire size to a 2.1. I don't understand putting a motorcycle tire on a trail bike anyway. Our trail in NC are tight with lots of climbs and man made jumps. I limit drop off jumps to about 4ft. If thats your type of riding take a look at the ftm carbon not the aluminum ftm.

mtbr member
    I think the answer depends a lot on how your Switchblade is built up. I'm sure you remember that the SB could be built up anywhere from a (somewhat heavy) XC to a burly trail bike.

My Talas SB started out as a 28 lb. trail bike but evolved to 32 lbs. with heavier rims, brakes, dropper post, and a 20mm thru-axle fork. After 5 years of hard use, I retired it for a Pivot Firebird but realized that I also needed a lighter trail bike so I bought a used ML frame. I took lots of components off the SB so I never did a side-by-side comparison. But if I had, given their builds, I would have found that the ML is more nimble and a better climber but not too rugged a descender - just what you'd expect given their respective builds and travels (28#@5" vs. 32#@5.7").

If your SB is on the lighter side and that's what you need, then I don't think you'd experience a big change going to the ML If your SB is just getting old and you want to replace it with something similar, then you're on the right track.

BTW, these comments pertain only to the ML. I have no experience with the FTM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world: those who count in binary, and those who don't.