mtbr member
    Jan 2004

How different will Titus be

Considering all of the changes this year ie. Chris leaving, oversees manufacturing, etc how different do you think things will be in the future. Will titus to continue to be amoung the best in the industry in customer service, and attention to detail, or will they be just another name plate on a run of the mill foreign built frame?? Where do you see them heading?? I heard some people at a shop that sells Titus saying that they will be a completly different company from here on out. So is this the end of an era, or just a few small changes??
    Visiting St george/Hurricane? Stay at my vacation rental. Discounts for MTB's

http://www.vrbo.com/392904

PM me

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalfaraway
    So is this the end of an era, or just a few small changes??
    Time will tell... they have the potential to go either way.

Obviously, and as with any other thing in life, the path that goes up is more difficult than the one that goes down. This is valid for you and me, and any other person/company in this world.
    Check my Site

Ti is addictive
    Ditto with Warp's statement, only time will tell.

Do you really think that the customer service has dropped already??? Gotta realize that when contracts not being renewed, the answer is on the wall long before June 30, 2006 that Chris was going to leave. Have you noticed on the site that a number of warranty issues have been addressed well beyond the life of the warranty.

Overseas manufacturing???--Titus has for as long as I can remember always farmed out a fair number of bikes out of Arizona(Riddler, Locomoto, Drop-U) etc. Did that stop us from buying then because we assumed that they welded the frames in Arizona??? If I recall the Locomoto recall fiasco a few years back was because of a bad batch/design from a USA sourced factory (not kinesis).

Not gonna stir the Taiwan/USA debate, but most buyers are not running out and buyin Carl Strong welded frames here. So if a Taiwanese welder can lay a bead as good if not better then their US counterpart then hell yeah if its gonna save me 500 bucks for my Talas fork then so be it.

Yes, I am a Titus fan, but I am also a realist. Things probably will change and not for the better, but you don't see me selling all my bikes and buying a Turner right away. The way most people on this forum are, they will have used their Titus bikes well beyond the warranted lifespans and in that future be on the hunt for the next *****an ride whether Titus or not.

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

To lose the Visionary

to lose the main creative visionary can and likely will have an effect on Titus... to what extent... who's knows? But, history is full of examples. There two cases in recent memory one inside the bike industry and one out that are relevent to what could happen regarding the Titus stake-up. Take Ibis and Apple for example... both examples of what can happen to a company when the visionary leader leaves... now they both came back, but this is another story.

I suspect things in the near term, 1-3 years, will be OK at Titus. Its the long term I get concerned with. Will they continue to innovate or will they stale? Only time will tell.

That being said... god dam-n, I love my Moto-lite!!

Regards,

EndUser
    Last edited by EndUser; 07-26-2006 at 11:34 PM.
    My advice and $3 will buy you nothing more than a tunafish sandwich.

screamer

my magic 8-ball says...

I predict with Chris gone, that Titus will change radically as an organization. They will completely forget how to make Motolites, and instead come out with a line of internal-hub-geared penny-farthings fabricated by outsourced hobbit labor from an underground sweatshop in central Whogivesafukkistan.

Sorry ... was that out loud? I guess I'm just pretty tired of this speculation, very little of which seems to be based on anything factual. How about we give these guys the benefit of the doubt and wait to see what they come up with?

Maybe I'm just cranky because it's qutting time and I still have a boatload of work to do. Maybe if I just spent less time writing pissy responses...

Where is my mind?

They've prooved themselves to me

Can't speak for the other stuff, but one of my biggest concerns was service and support. In the middle of last week the swingarm broke on my Titus ML. Couple of quick phone calls and as of last night she's ready to roll. They replaced the swingarm, under warranty, just as easily as when they replace the horst link bolt that I lost a couple of months ago. This has certainly restored my faith in Titus.
    Last edited by Cyclopod; 07-27-2006 at 04:37 AM.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Bike to the Bone...
    I hope that customer service and support stays as good as it has been. At least I have the impression that Titus cs is really good, I haven't had a chance to need to prove it

As to the direction for product development, I do think that things will change. And it has. When I started looking at Titus, they offered lots of different shock & cradle options for most of their line. I think that makes it more expensive, and maybe confusing for some potential users, and I think Titus is comming up with more streamlined options to make production cheaper (nothing wrong with that if they keep the good quality in their bikes) and simpler.

I think they will start or continue to move in a more corporate sense (contact first the LBS be4 calling Titus). They will try to broaden their bike line to compete with more bikes. Look at 'El Guapo', it seems to be directed straight to the 6 inch trailbike trend that seems to be growing. Probably 'El Galan' will come as a 7 inch trailbike in two years because bike marketing will say that anything under 7 inches will feel too XC

"Its All Good"
    I say we give it time, its only fair.......... From my perspective, it takes more than one person in a business that size to hold it together, for sure Chris had a HUGE part to play. BUT we can all be replaced. The day we think we are not replaceable we a F%&$/Ked as a person....

I hope I dont get told talk to the LBS store first, there was no way as far as my a s s points to the ground that I would shell out for a frame the price of the ExoGrid MotoLite without talking to the company, no way!

Life evolves, we are in a time of constant change, hang look at the world today, then look tomorrow, we are evolving at an alarming rate...............
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

Details......

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    In the middle of last week the swingarm broke on my Titus ML.
    uhmm, Details, please. What up?

Regards,

EndUser

MTB aficionado
    Jan 2004

I work in an industry......

I work in an industry that requires visionary passion. It's typically one person that is the inspiration, for what ever reason, and they see things "differently" and success just follows them. When these people go away it's proven difficult to replace this "inspiration" and the "dreams." These people are quite rare and I think Titus just let one go.

Just an opinion.

Regards,

EndUser

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by EndUser
    uhmm, Details, please. What up?

Regards,

EndUser
    I'm off to work soon, but I'll post pics tonight. Let me say for now that I was in Ellijay, North GA going down a bumpy descent . I noticed my tire rubbing on the climbs and then found the broken seatstay. Mind you, it's very unlikely that it just suddenly broke. Even broken, riding fast, downhill, was still smooth (all 5-6 miles of it). Also, I was riding with a bike shop owner/mechanic who told me that it would be okay to keep riding, while he slowed to make sure I was okay. Even with one seat say, I made it, and almost didn't notice it (except on the climbs).

As far as replacing the swingarm, I did just take a few phone calls, one to Titus and two to a titus dealer in GA that they put me in touch with. I dropped off the old swingarm (guess they had to inspect it), but the new swingarm was on it's way already. Oh, it had to be shipped to me because I live in Florida, and we're still waiting for a Titus dealer.

The shock of having my Titus broken was allayed by how painless it was to have it fixed.
    Last edited by Cyclopod; 07-27-2006 at 07:11 AM.
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

thats right living legend
    Was it Bear Creek... Pinhoti?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

my guess...

is that things will be just fine. Yes, the loss of Chris hurts, but Titus as a company will move on and continue to innovate and still come out w/ great ideas and products.

Case in point - look at Moots. Kent Eriksen sold the co a while back and stayed on board for awhile afterwards as an 'employee'. Recently (in the last yr or so) he's left and they are still the same co and still putting out a great product and still come up w/ great and sometime wacky ideas that highlight their design/welding skill.

Personally change can be good and I am just as excited to order an Exo HT 29r SS in a few months time, even if someone else plugs n the frame #'s.

I'm fired up to see the 07 offerings and whatever else they have in store for 08. And if more of the AL work is being done by Kinesis overseas that is fine by me, quite frankly the weld quality of my ML is as good if not better than the 04 RacerX that was welded stateside and if the price is cheaper for a better quality item, well that isn't rocket science....especially when they can improve availability.

Anywho, let's move on and talk more about the bikes that we all love own and most importantly RIDE!

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Was it Bear Creek... Pinhoti?
    It was actually the new Pinhoti trail off of Bear Creek.

It was actually the new Pinhoti trail off of Bear Creek.

Those descents are the stuff dreams are made of...

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by blackagness
    Those descents are the stuff dreams are made of...
    My only regret is that I didn't get to do more dreaming!

My only regret is that I didn't get to do more dreaming!

Me too! I had a hand injury that kept getting progresavly worse through out the ride there. That Fing killed me, I couldn't do JACK!

I'm still waiting for round 2. I can't wait! UUUGGGGG!!! Please, just one more chance...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004

Richard Cunningham's take (Mountain Bike Action mag)

Q. Hi Richard being the proud owner of a Titus Motolite I have a concern I'm hoping you can shed some light on? In you honest opinion do you think the departure of Chris is going to hurt The Titus brand at all? Or do you think Titus will do just fine w/o him? Also what do you think of a pushed Fox rp23 for my Moto lite is it worth the $500.00 bucks.
    Justin/mbaction.com - 7/24/2006 9:34:46 AM

A. RC: Chris Cocalis is one of the handful of thinkers who I use to weigh my own thoughts and opinions about the past, present and future of all things mountain bike. It is doubtful that Titus will be better off without Chris' balance of pragmatism and innovative thinking. Titus will not suffer in the short term, because its product line reflects the heart and soul of what is happening today. What is questionable is, who can take Titus to its next higher step? It's been done successfully before--Yeti is thriving with new management, but it doesn't happen often. We shall see.

Goatman
    - It's not the destination that counts but how you get there -

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rzozaya1969
    I hope that customer service and support stays as good as it has been. At least I have the impression that Titus cs is really good, I haven't had a chance to need to prove it

As to the direction for product development, I do think that things will change. And it has. When I started looking at Titus, they offered lots of different shock & cradle options for most of their line. I think that makes it more expensive, and maybe confusing for some potential users, and I think Titus is comming up with more streamlined options to make production cheaper (nothing wrong with that if they keep the good quality in their bikes) and simpler.

I think they will start or continue to move in a more corporate sense (contact first the LBS be4 calling Titus). They will try to broaden their bike line to compete with more bikes. Look at 'El Guapo', it seems to be directed straight to the 6 inch trailbike trend that seems to be growing. Probably 'El Galan' will come as a 7 inch trailbike in two years because bike marketing will say that anything under 7 inches will feel too XC

Yeah, remember that? I remember way back I started on 100mm FS and everyone around was yelling how it was too much for our trails. 100mm is for DH!!! Fast forward a couple years and now they are all on 100mm rigs and loving them for XC use.

"El Whatever"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerk_Chicken
    Yeah, remember that? I remember way back I started on 100mm FS and everyone around was yelling how it was too much for our trails. 100mm is for DH!!! Fast forward a couple years and now they are all on 100mm rigs and loving them for XC use.
    You know what is even more odd??

That the most experienced riders are the ones falling into that game. It's kinda obvious as more experienced riders are now exploring new abilities and such... yet, weird. You should think that many of those experienced riders already know what they're capable of and get with what they know is best.

Maybe we really don't know what's best?

Anyway... I think I have settled for the 5" travel bike.
    [SIZE="1"](Don't tell anyone but four years ago, I wanted one with only 4" and I bought the Warp thinking it was overkill at 5" )[/SIZE]
    Check my Site

Chunky Monkey
    Well all my two cents . This is the first post any where. I have a '05 ML and could not be happier.
    HOWEVER, when Alan left a while back, I just watched...When Kim left, I just watched...Now Chris and Gus, I do not know who was first.

New managers or owners or CEO's bring in thier own crews....

Find out where the new CEO is from and that will tell you where he will take Titusti....
    I hope not.

Thanks for reading,

Circusubet

"Its All Good"
    Quote Originally Posted by circusubet
    Well all my two cents . This is the first post any where. I have a '05 ML and could not be happier.
    HOWEVER, when Alan left a while back, I just watched...When Kim left, I just watched...Now Chris and Gus, I do not know who was first.

New managers or owners or CEO's bring in thier own crews....

Find out where the new CEO is from and that will tell you where he will take Titusti....
    I hope not.

Thanks for reading,

Circusubet
    Circusubet, you sound like you know the company intimitely and being from Arizona............You may well be correct where Titus will go, for me it is not worth in life slaying a company until they give the proof to be slayed.

It will be the next gen models that have input from others and not Chris and his team..... Hang by then am sure Chris will have set up his own small boutique frame company..... Once again time will tell..........
    The_Lecht_Rocks: whafe - cheeers - may i offer an official apology for the wagon wheeler "dis-belief"