Spring! Spring! Spring!

Horst Pivot Slop?

Well, my Quasi was making a freaky squeak for a while, it's taken me quite a while to pin it down, but what it came down to was tired/worn/dirty horst link pivot bushings.

The squeak was apparantly caused by contamination that got between the plastic (delrin, du, whatever) bushing and the inner surfaces of the clevis joint. One side of which is worn enough to allow for some side-2-side slop with the seat-stay element moving somewhere between .5 and 1.5 mm laterally - I'm guaging this from feel not caliper measurement by the way.

So, first bit, does anyone think I need to worry about this being a point of failure in the future? I know that most of the crap it takes seems to be vertical motion but there is clearly some pedal-induced movement being caused. It kind-of drives me nuts but I don't know if it's an issue or not.

Leading to second bit, anyone know of any sources for thin metal or other material washiners that I could use to fill the slop area. They'd have to have the same ID as the HL busing OD ... maybe go between the bushing and the seatstay element. I dunno.

I'm sure a new chainstay would cure it too, but that seems kind of pricey a thing to go after plus it may be difficult to find one for the Quasi at this point unless they're still compatible with the ones being used on the Guapo (or if there's leftover Supermoto 'stays I guess they may work also).

Thoughts?

Trophy Husband
    Quote Originally Posted by bear
    I'm sure a new chainstay would cure it too, but that seems kind of pricey a thing to go after plus it may be difficult to find one for the Quasi at this point unless they're still compatible with the ones being used on the Guapo (or if there's leftover Supermoto 'stays I guess they may work also).

Thoughts?
    Guapo stays are longer I think.
    Supermoto stays = motolite FR stays
    Extreme stationary biker.

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    So, with a very thin brass friction washer, and a little sanding of the pivot bushing, i've got the slop taken out.

But I fear it's not a permanent, the way I ride.

But who knows.

But, anybody ever put a 'guapo chainstay on Quasi (I'm assuming there's no '03 Quasi chainstays lying about unused - I haven't been able to find one)?

If it's a longer chainstay that means more wheel travel. May balance nicely with my fork. Can't be a bad thing. Probably slacken the HA/STA though.